The Student Room Group

Stereotypical 'Gap Year' is a Waste of Time. Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

but i enjoyed my GAP YAHR
Reply 61
Original post by Bill_Gates
but i enjoyed my GAP YAHR

I' ll bet you did.
Reply 62
Original post by jamesrobbo1
Me encanta Peru tio!! This post sums up what I am trying to say. Getting beheaded on live tv? How many times have you seen this in Peru? I will guess zero.

I'm glad!! A que partes has ido? Yo soy de Lima.

Haha you kidding!? It was the highlight of the day when it was on -every Tuesday and Thursday after the 6 o'clock news, but before the weather. If it was a particularly attractive tourist being beheaded it took place on a Saturday live from a public square so that those fortunate enough could see it in person!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 63
Original post by sjrm95
I'm glad!! A que partes has ido? Yo soy de Lima.

Haha you kidding!? It was the highlight of the day when it was on -every Tuesday and Thursday after the 6 o'clock news, but before the weather. If it was a particularly attractive tourist being beheaded it took place on a Saturday live from a public square so that those fortunate enough could see it in person!!

Hahahahahahaha. They wanted to behead me but didnt want to dirty their knife.

Fui al Lima y otros partes...o, y por su puesto que fui al macchu picchu (pero de verdad, no me lo encanta...cuando estaba alli, estaban un monton de tursitas del estados unidos haha. Me gustaria volver, pero es bastante caro (el vuelo). Estas estudiando en reino unido ?
Original post by Harpoon
Can I ask you something? Have you travelled to the other side of the world by yourself to a totally different culture?

You having a laugh? OP hasnt left his bedroom for the past 10 years

But I am curious OP, what location would you consider interesting and worthwhile visiting? Srs question
Reply 65
Hahahahahahaha. They wanted to behead me but didnt want to dirty their knife.

Fui al Lima y otros partes...o, y por su puesto que fui al macchu picchu (pero de verdad, no me lo encanta...cuando estaba alli, estaban un monton de tursitas del estados unidos haha. Me gustaria volver, pero es bastante caro (el vuelo). Estas estudiando en reino unido ?

Haha yeah it's usually only deemed worth it for blonde gringas! :/

A que bueno! Aprendiste español tambien? Yo nunca he ido a machu picchu :frown: Pero si imagino que esta lleno de turistas! Muy muy caro!

Yes I am, I'm half Peruvian and half Scottish, so moved over here a few years ago after growing up in Peru! :smile:

Reply 66
Original post by Nick1sHere
You having a laugh? OP hasnt left his bedroom for the past 10 years

But I am curious OP, what location would you consider interesting and worthwhile visiting? Srs question

You have 2353 posts. I'll let you think about what you just said.

But I will honour the social contract you have offered unto me, albeit one tarnished in the muck of your sarcasm. My favourite country that I have visited was Afghanistan

Why: Fascinating melting pot of cultures with a saddening history. I love the country, but in the way that I can - as someone who can go there and escape it with ease; this cannot be said of the populous.
Reply 67
Original post by sjrm95
Haha yeah it's usually only deemed worth it for blonde gringas! :/

A que bueno! Aprendiste español tambien? Yo nunca he ido a machu picchu :frown: Pero si imagino que esta lleno de turistas! Muy muy caro!

Yes I am, I'm half Peruvian and half Scottish, so moved over here a few years ago after growing up in Peru! :smile:

Aprendí un poco, no puedo hablar con fluidez...soy gringo eso es obvio cuando habla haha. Ah que bueno, espero que el tiempo no te molesta tanto.
Reply 68
Interesting, albeit utterly fallacious post. "half of the continent [Africa] is exploding". Not even going to bother with this, I will just leave it here for anyone who knows anything to have a look at.

I have said about 5 times now that I have in fact been to Australia. I had a good time, I wont lie. But why go there when there are countless more interesting place to go to - where you might even learn another language (OMG!!!)

Zante, Mallorca etc "travellers" deserve a whole thread - they are the locales where aspirations and intellect go to die.

I have travelled, I wont bother embellishing too much unless you are really interested - this is exactly why I want to encourage others to do something different, other than the tacky self-ascribed "self-help" voyages to Sydney and back.

Once again... poor young person easy and incredibly well paid work with a great climate and nice people and contrary to several pillockson this thread there is culture. Yes another language why dont we all flood Israel to learn Hebrew and North Korea to learn their particular dialect of Korean... because they will be most helpful to the averege fellow in life?

Oh no i beg to differ, its where they go to crush their souls and go on a STD collecting spree, much as a gappy might visit SE asia :colone:
No please do humour me i am somewhat interested.
Oh i dont disagree with your point about seeing the world, theres many facinating things out beyond the boarders of this god forsaken island i more objected to you slamming Australia when it is a highly logical choice..

Original post by sjrm95
Sorry but this part of your post really jumped out at me. While I agree that Australia is safer than Peru (where I come from), I would like to make it clear that being kidnapped and raped are DEFINITELY not common in South America and there are thousands of foreign travellers that visit with no troubles every year.

Being beheaded live on TV - I don't know where you have pulled this gem from. I seem to remember hearing something like this about Iraq but I can't remember. Chances of this happening to you anywhere in the world are virtually nil though.

I can't speak for Africa personally but I also feel it should be defended from your claim that half the continent is constantly exploding. This is clearly not true. Yes, there are war zones but it is obvious that someone travelling to Africa should avoid these.

I know this doesn't add to the general thread but I hate to see whole continents being brushed over by demeaning generalisations.

Apologies they were more sarcastic generlisations in particular the kidnapping and beheading at the middle east and mexico but to expand on the area served my point well :biggrin:
Well its generally a given to avoid a war zone but... I feel i could make a fairly consise list of a large number of countries in Africa which areeither in a state of war, are a failed state or are generally worthy of avoiding for the sake of ever coming back again... Naturallyto say that for all of these countries and all bits of said countries would be slightly to arbituary given the size of some and what they have to offer but as a simplified generalisation it works well i mean would you ever go to Congo, Chad, Somalia, Rwanda, ethiopia, eritria, burundi, zimbabwe, nigeria, Libya, CAP, Sudan etc. etc. etc.? I mean personally id love to go to Libya on that wee list but on that token id also rather not comehome in a body bag.
Maybe but in the politest way possible to Africa it really isnt doing itself any favours.. even the notional powerhouse of Africa, SA, is hardly the safest of places to go these days which is a shame, i mean the amount of ex pats who i have met that have have high tailed it from the violence there is astounding, granted theyre white but still...
You have 2353 posts. I'll let you think about what you just said.

But I will honour the social contract you have offered unto me, albeit one tarnished in the muck of your sarcasm. My favourite country that I have visited was Afghanistan

Why: Fascinating melting pot of cultures with a saddening history. I love the country, but in the way that I can - as someone who can go there and escape it with ease; this cannot be said of the populous.

Reply 70
Original post by cl_steele
Once again... poor young person easy and incredibly well paid work with a great climate and nice people and contrary to several pillockson this thread there is culture. Yes another language why dont we all flood Israel to learn Hebrew and North Korea to learn their particular dialect of Korean... because they will be most helpful to the averege fellow in life?

Oh no i beg to differ, its where they go to crush their souls and go on a STD collecting spree, much as a gappy might visit SE asia :colone:
No please do humour me i am somewhat interested.
Oh i dont disagree with your point about seeing the world, theres many facinating things out beyond the boarders of this god forsaken island i more objected to you slamming Australia when it is a highly logical choice..

Apologies they were more sarcastic generlisations in particular the kidnapping and beheading at the middle east and mexico but to expand on the area served my point well :biggrin:
Well its generally a given to avoid a war zone but... I feel i could make a fairly consise list of a large number of countries in Africa which areeither in a state of war, are a failed state or are generally worthy of avoiding for the sake of ever coming back again... Naturallyto say that for all of these countries and all bits of said countries would be slightly to arbituary given the size of some and what they have to offer but as a simplified generalisation it works well i mean would you ever go to Congo, Chad, Somalia, Rwanda, ethiopia, eritria, burundi, zimbabwe, nigeria, Libya, CAP, Sudan etc. etc. etc.? I mean personally id love to go to Libya on that wee list but on that token id also rather not comehome in a body bag.
Maybe but in the politest way possible to Africa it really isnt doing itself any favours.. even the notional powerhouse of Africa, SA, is hardly the safest of places to go these days which is a shame, i mean the amount of ex pats who i have met that have have high tailed it from the violence there is astounding, granted theyre white but still...

So you agree that there is much to see and do? Then why just accept going to Australia and repeating the process over and over?

From the list you have stated - I have been to most of those, and I am still alive and well. Im not saying Gap Yahs ought to go there, au contraire - but there is still a smorgasbord of other places to go. You agree with me to an extent but you do not accept my rationale vis a vis Oz. Did you go there? Are you sad people are disinterested?

Your sweeping generalisations are providing great entertainment. ****ty London areas are more dangerous than the likes of Ethiopia etc.
Reply 71

I like nothing more than a good GIF. Elaborate on your point - or is it utterly indefensible?
Reply 72
So you agree that there is much to see and do? Then why just accept going to Australia and repeating the process over and over?

From the list you have stated - I have been to most of those, and I am still alive and well. Im not saying Gap Yahs ought to go there, au contraire - but there is still a smorgasbord of other places to go. You agree with me to an extent but you do not accept my rationale vis a vis Oz. Did you go there? Are you sad people are disinterested?

Your sweeping generalisations are providing great entertainment. ****ty London areas are more dangerous than the likes of Ethiopia etc.

Yes like going to the moon though is it reasonable to expect 18yr olds to go and do it? No. And whats this over and over? you make it sound like a trip to bloody cornwall... most people dont have $2000+ in their bank accounts every winter...

Either way this is academic but i call bull**** on this one.

What point are you trying to argue here exactly because you seem to have digressed markedly from what im talking about?

I cant help but make a snide remark that most of the areas youre reffering to have a very high proportion of third world migrants from that nice list i gave you to start with soo... regardless i dont think you can compare walking through downtown mogadishu with barking now can you...?
I like nothing more than a good GIF. Elaborate on your point - or is it utterly indefensible?

I don't really have anything else to say, at the end of the day each to their own. Not everybody idea of a perfect destination is the same.
Reply 74
Yes like going to the moon though is it reasonable to expect 18yr olds to go and do it? No. And whats this over and over? you make it sound like a trip to bloody cornwall... most people dont have $2000+ in their bank accounts every winter...

Either way this is academic but i call bull**** on this one.

What point are you trying to argue here exactly because you seem to have digressed markedly from what im talking about?

I cant help but make a snide remark that most of the areas youre reffering to have a very high proportion of third world migrants from that nice list i gave you to start with soo... regardless i dont think you can compare walking through downtown mogadishu with barking now can you...?

Im yet to go to Mogadishu, so I cannot confirm.

To summarise my point for u: For people considering go abroad etc, I would implore you to reconsider if your target region is SE Asia/Oz...and go somewhere else, where you can actually learn something other than "picking cucumbers".
Reply 75
I don't really have anything else to say, at the end of the day each to their own. Not everybody idea of a perfect destination is the same.

People follow the crowd and Im urging an alternative. PS Did you end up going on your trip this March? I got some great locales if your still pondering
People follow the crowd and Im urging an alternative. PS Did you end up going on your trip this March? I got some great locales if your still pondering

At the end of the day sheeps gon sheep, if that's what people want to do that's up to them. No I didn't, couldn't fully decide + had some personal things I had to take care of.

I'd be glad to hear your recommendations, ignoring your first post which seemed kind of harsh you actually sound like you've traveled and have a passion for it. So yeah fire away
Reply 77
Im yet to go to Mogadishu, so I cannot confirm.

To summarise my point for u: For people considering go abroad etc, I would implore you to reconsider if your target region is SE Asia/Oz...and go somewhere else, where you can actually learn something other than "picking cucumbers".

Well if you do go you sure as hell wont be confirming it on here after...

Picking cucumbers? Tu putain de bordell de dieu... seriously? I question where they should go as youve written off almost two continents for them where they can actually do something.
Reply 78
At the end of the day sheeps gon sheep, if that's what people want to do that's up to them. No I didn't, couldn't fully decide + had some personal things I had to take care of.

I'd be glad to hear your recommendations, ignoring your first post which seemed kind of harsh you actually sound like you've traveled and have a passion for it. So yeah fire away

Hahahahha sheeps gon sheep. Made my night with that quote. My fave region would be central asia - tajikistan etc. Its so overlooked but the landscape is immense, the prices are low, and its easy (somewhat) to get around. You might need basic Russian or be very good at explaining things with ur hands. Perhaps narrow it down to a continent and Ill advise as such.

Well if you do go you sure as hell wont be confirming it on here after...

Picking cucumbers? Tu putain de bordell de dieu... seriously? I question where they should go as youve written off almost two continents for them where they can actually do something.

Putain fais chier...you are not paying attention. How many countries have I directly referred to herein? TWO: Oz and Thailand....
You might need basic Russian or be very good at explaining things with ur hands.

Saying my Russian is rusty would be putting it very mildly. But how hard could it be? :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest