The Student Room Group

Guy at fault of accident keeps calling me.

Hello.

I was recently hit by a guy who hit the car behind me and shoved that car into me too. He fully accepted fault of the incident, therefore I am claiming damages against him.

He has recently received this news and is currently hassling me (6-10 missed calls from private numbers). I answered it politely, then he started talking **** so I shut him off.

What do I actually do now? Is it legal considering the insurance are dealing with the claim? This guy also has my address, not cool. Anyone got ideas? I'm worried he's planning to do something to my car/property, I have his address and he lives very local.

-Ken.
Reply 1
Original post by Nunkey
Hello.

I was recently hit by a guy who hit the car behind me and shoved that car into me too. He fully accepted fault of the incident, therefore I am claiming damages against him.

He has recently received this news and is currently hassling me (6-10 missed calls from private numbers). I answered it politely, then he started talking **** so I shut him off.

What do I actually do now? Is it legal considering the insurance are dealing with the claim? This guy also has my address, not cool. Anyone got ideas? I'm worried he's planning to do something to my car/property, I have his address and he lives very local.

-Ken.

Well thats harassment, suggest reporting it to the police and telling your insurers of the situation.
Reply 2
Report it to the police, tell them about your situation, show them your missed calls etc and tell them you are worried about what he might do.
Reply 3
I'd just tell him that "it's now out of your hands and his point of contact is now his insurers. Also, you will not be taking any more of his calls".
Original post by Nunkey
Hello.

-Ken.

Like others have said, id phone the police and tell them whats been happening. Keep a record of all the missed calls etc and show it to them.
Id also inform your insurance so that they are aware that he has been hassling you.
In the meantime- if you do answer his calls then just say that its out of your hands now and the insurance are dealing with it.
Reply 5
I know nothing about motoring but someone I know said that someone they know (confusing I know) gave their address to someone after an accident and the person came and deflated their tyres.. idk whether youre supposed to give your address but anyways, harrassment is unacceptable and the police should have enough information to deal with it..
Reply 6
I'll forward it to my insurers/legal team then, this is definitely going to increase my insurance price too.

Cheers for the help people.
Just out of interest by damages do you mean personal injury? Minor discomfort?
Original post by Nunkey
I'll forward it to my insurers/legal team then, this is definitely going to increase my insurance price too.

Cheers for the help people.

It shouldnt affect your insurance price. Yes, you have had an accident, but it was a non blameworthy accident, i.e. not your fault in the slightest. You are claiming on his insurance (not your own), therefore it doesnt affect your no claims. Come renewal time, you will have to mention the accident when they ask, but you say it was the other persons fault (because it was). Plus theres the fact you will have only been driving for a year but will still have your 1 years no claims. Insurance companies will try it on and try to charge you more (especially if you do your insurance on the internet) but if you phone them up and get a quote, and they do try and charge you more because of the accident, then explain to them that why should your insurance go up because of some other drivers mistake and that you arent going pay extra because of it, most insurers wont charge you the extra.
This happened to my mum last november. She had an accident that was some old womans fault, but come renewal time, they tried to charge extra because of the accident, even though it wasnt her fault. But as soon as my dad said something about it and that he wasnt going to pay the extra because it wasnt my mums fault, they didnt charge him extra after all.
Reply 9
I'm sure the guy who got hit in to the back of you. Your damages would be his fault.
1. He didnt keep his distance or he wouldn't of hit you.
2. If stopped then he should of had handbrake on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
This is exactly why I completely disagree with giving addresses out at scenes of accidents. I wish we didn't have to. A bloke ran into my car in 2008, he was a nasty piece of work, I was alone that evening so he took full advantage of that, shouting and swearing at me. Then came the phone calls, then the threats. Eventually he left a message on the landline, saying he was coming over because I'd apparently lied to the insurance company about the accident circumstances (must've been an empty threat 'cause thankfully he never turned up). So my dad called the police, they were great and I never heard from him again, all contact was through my insurance.

He's not supposed to contact you during the insurance proceedures. Goodness knows why we have to give out our personal details other than name and insurance company but there you go. Not sure if what he's doing is illegal but it's certainly not what he should be doing and is a form of harassment. Worth contacting the police, if he leaves any messages, keep them and show them to them. It was well worth it in my case, got the bloke straight off my back, so fingers crossed it'll work for you. Should do if he's never been in trouble with the police before. But yeah, it's horrible, isn't it? You shouldn't have to worry so get 'em called and hopefully your mind will be put to rest. Fingers crossed for you :smile:
Original post by Emma:-)
It shouldnt affect your insurance price. Yes, you have had an accident, but it was a non blameworthy accident, i.e. not your fault in the slightest. You are claiming on his insurance (not your own), therefore it doesnt affect your no claims. Come renewal time, you will have to mention the accident when they ask, but you say it was the other persons fault (because it was). Plus theres the fact you will have only been driving for a year but will still have your 1 years no claims. Insurance companies will try it on and try to charge you more (especially if you do your insurance on the internet) but if you phone them up and get a quote, and they do try and charge you more because of the accident, then explain to them that why should your insurance go up because of some other drivers mistake and that you arent going pay extra because of it, most insurers wont charge you the extra.
This happened to my mum last november. She had an accident that was some old womans fault, but come renewal time, they tried to charge extra because of the accident, even though it wasnt her fault. But as soon as my dad said something about it and that he wasnt going to pay the extra because it wasnt my mums fault, they didnt charge him extra after all.

Insurance does go up a tiny bit even if not your fault. There is a question they always ask online or over the phone, any accidents/claims in the last 5 years regardless of who was at fault. Something like that. But yeah, it won't be much of a hike in this case. I read your mum's example, that was probably at the companies discretion. As a general rule it does go up a little.
Original post by Potential Trigger
Insurance does go up a tiny bit even if not your fault. There is a question they always ask online or over the phone, any accidents/claims in the last 5 years regardless of who was at fault. Something like that. But yeah, it won't be much of a hike in this case. I read your mum's example, that was probably at the companies discretion. As a general rule it does go up a little.

I know that there is a question online- ive seen it myself when getting quotes. It also asks if you where at fault or not. I know what you mean about it still going up a bit, as you have had an accident. But if it wasnt your fault, why should you have to pay for someone elses bad driving. If it wasnt for their bad driving, then you wouldnt have had an accident in the first place. And with my mums case, they tried to charge extra when my dad told them about it, but it was only because my dad refused to pay the extra and was going to kick up a fuss that they backed down (he wanted to stay with them as they where still the cheapest).
Original post by Interchange
Just out of interest by damages do you mean personal injury? Minor discomfort?

One assumes she will need to get her car fixed too.

OP - as others have said: refer him to the insurers. Inform your insurance company and if he keeps calling, tell the police.
I know that there is a question online- ive seen it myself when getting quotes. It also asks if you where at fault or not. I know what you mean about it still going up a bit, as you have had an accident. But if it wasnt your fault, why should you have to pay for someone elses bad driving. If it wasnt for their bad driving, then you wouldnt have had an accident in the first place. And with my mums case, they tried to charge extra when my dad told them about it, but it was only because my dad refused to pay the extra and was going to kick up a fuss that they backed down (he wanted to stay with them as they where still the cheapest).

They charge extra because statistically (apparently) anyone involved in an accident is more at risk of being involved in another. Doesn't make sense though because if someone pulls on in front me, it has no reflection on my ability to drive.

I've got my NCB's protected now.
They charge extra because statistically (apparently) anyone involved in an accident is more at risk of being involved in another. Doesn't make sense though because if someone pulls on in front me, it has no reflection on my ability to drive.

I've got my NCB's protected now.

I totally agree. If you are involved in an accident and its your own fault, then yeah, you deserve every penny you get charged extra, as its your fault and you should be more careful etc.
But if its not your fault, then its unfair as although you are involved in an accident, its not your fault and you didnt do anything wrong so you dont deserve to be penalised. The bit about statistically (apparently) being involved in another doesnt make sense to me either.
Ive got my NCB's protected last month as well, now ive got my 3 years no claims.
If he calls again- tell him, we have insurance so THEY deal with it. Not you and him. If he calls again- remind him of this and say goodbye. If he rings again after that- suggest that if he continues to telephone you, you will be contacting your insurance company about the matter along with the police. He shouldn't be contacting you. The insurance companies deal with all of it- the only people who should contact you is your own insurance company.
I totally agree. If you are involved in an accident and its your own fault, then yeah, you deserve every penny you get charged extra, as its your fault and you should be more careful etc.
But if its not your fault, then its unfair as although you are involved in an accident, its not your fault and you didnt do anything wrong so you dont deserve to be penalised. The bit about statistically (apparently) being involved in another doesnt make sense to me either.
Ive got my NCB's protected last month as well, now ive got my 3 years no claims.

You can do it at 3? I thought at least it 4! Lol
You can do it at 3? I thought at least it 4! Lol

When i renewed i got told i could do it now ive got 3. That was with aviva though- i dont know if any other companies are different.
Reply 19
Record the calls... if he's calling your mobile then download an app; if he's calling your landline then get an audio line splitter (e.g. Retell 145) and cheap voice recorder.

From the Oftel website:
"The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. "

Then when the caller has finished ranting, just let them know you've recorded the call.....

:biggrin:

T3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending