The Student Room Group

Break up around GCSEs

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to TSR so I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right area!

Basically, having been in a long relationship of over a year, my ex has suddenly moved on to someone new,someone 2 years older than us, ditching me while we were meant to be 'seeing each other' before getting back together... he may want to move on but I can't get it off my mind.

Im not here to moan about my relationship problems though, to be honest its not so much that the relationship is over, but that I've lost my best friend and they aren't even interested now...But with 24 GCSEs coming up, this Easter should be the time to get my head down and work! But every time I try to I just can't concentrate because of the break-up, I just feel so upset and pathetic!

So I wondered if anyone else of any age had been in a similar position, and has any good ways of motivating myself to try and get it off my mind!

Thank you, any advice is appreciated :smile: (And apologies if I sound pathetic here, just need some motivation and guidance!)
Reply 1
Don't let him ruin your life. GCSE's are very important, he shouldn't be if he hasn't treated you correctly.
Ace your exams, move on, go to uni/ get a good job and find someone new and better.
Set yourself up for an upgrade life wise.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

Basically, having been in a long relationship of over a year, my ex has suddenly moved on to someone new,someone 2 years older than us, ditching me while we were meant to be 'seeing each other' before getting back together... he may want to move on but I can't get it off my mind.

Im not here to moan about my relationship problems though, to be honest its not so much that the relationship is over, but that I've lost my best friend and they aren't even interested now...But with 24 GCSEs coming up, this Easter should be the time to get my head down and work! But every time I try to I just can't concentrate because of the break-up, I just feel so upset and pathetic!

So I wondered if anyone else of any age had been in a similar position, and has any good ways of motivating myself to try and get it off my mind!

Thank you, any advice is appreciated :smile: (And apologies if I sound pathetic here, just need some motivation and guidance!)

Cut him out, he really isn't worth it at all
Keep yourself busy so that you don't have time to think about it... by revising! :tongue:

Motivation - getting straight A*s
Reply 4
No, this is not grounds for mitigation. :biggrin:

Seriously though, engage in meditation, clear your mind and then focus on the task at hand.
It's tough but you have to think that your GCSEs are going to have an impact on the rest of your life whereas the pain you are experiencing at the moment serves little purpose and will only be a short term thing. One is obviously more important than the other and you have to think about making yourself happy by succeeding rather than focusing on the past which you can't change. :smile:
Reply 6
24 GCSEs? O.o
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

A similar thing happened to me. I didn't get dumped but he was a very poor influence on my GCSEs and I did a lot worse than I could have. That has really bugged me but I can't change it now, so learn from my mistakes and get working!

He was far beneath me intellectually so didn't feel my exams were important. However we broke up a few years later and I have found someone who is much more intelligent, has a good job, good family and plenty of money so you do the same! Show him you don't need him and can do a ton better than him!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Don't let a relationship come before your GCSEs, in a few years time you'll think to yourself 'why was I so caught up in that' and by then it will be too late to go back and make sure you did well. At school it's harder to see why GCSEs are important but if you don't try your best and revise well then you might find yourself stuck later on in life/at college/university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dijay_94
24 GCSEs? O.o

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking. Everyone else on TSR clearly thinks that's a normal amount to do...hell maybe it is nowadays! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
:rolleyes:
Reply 11
24 GCSE's? holy **** i dont think ive done that many exams in my whole life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending