The Student Room Group

6 hours of revision daily

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reform
I'm considering doing just that. My album which is due to come out in 2019 (with a few thousand tracks) may perhaps be the best album of all time.

I've got tracks on it such as 'struggles of the hood', 'hardships of the hood' and 'school in the hood' which all show a side to the hood. I also forgot to mention 'hood life' which is pretty dope.

Yeah.. that's about it.

I very much look forward to it's release. However, may I suggest that you also find the time to write about the prejudice that you face from the rest of society, what with you brimming with class and all that..
Original post by Danzpk
I usually go for 25 hours a day, but sometimes I can slip to 18-20

You go for 25 hours a day? theres only 24 in a day and i really doubt you revise from 12am to 12am
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
It's for A-levels, just for the Easter holidays. Sometimes I stretch it to 8, is it too much? Too little?

6 exams, all in May

I have 8 and I am doing 4 hours a day max...

I did more for my January exams and can honestly say it's a waste of time.

Think of it like this- Your brain is like an empty class. You can only fit so much stuff(information) in that class. It will fill up within a few hours worth of work (about 3 for me) and then you struggle to remember things effectively.
Your brain needs a night of sleep to process all that information. Then the next day recap it all briefly!

Also: Remembering one word is a lot easier than remember 10 words. So the less you do the more likely you are to remember it. I did about 45minutes worth of biology yesterday and can honestly say I remember about 85-90% of it.

30 minutes on.15 minutes off...30 minutes on...15 minutes off. Repeat 4/5 times a day and you'll be sorted come may time.
Original post by KD35
Do you guys do 6 hours of SOLID work a day? As in, no distractions in between?

I sit down for around 6 hours but only get about 3 hours worth of work done..too many distractions.

that's like me too
Original post by andy511
I feel bad now, I'm only doing 3 hours a day. Is this too little? I have 5 exams

I do that and I have 8 exams.

3 Maths

2 Biology

2 Chemistry

1 Physics
Solid 6 hours= Pointless.

30minutes on and 15 minutes break. Reapeat 12 times with a 2 hour break after 3 hours= very worthwhile.
Reply 46
Normally I do an 45-50 minutes and have a 10 minute break - I have to make more tea since it's my revision fuel and I generally just stretch and walk about so my brain gets a distraction from the work.

I have four exams so I'm really going to have to do more than the 2/3 hours a day I do atm :getmecoat:
I have 9 exams and I try not to revise for hours on end, but something like 20 mins, have a coffee, another 20 mins, have a break etc. throughout the day. So, little but often. :smile:
omg you lot have barely any exams! Im in year 11 and i have 13 to do!
Original post by Harri2648
omg you lot have barely any exams! Im in year 11 and i have 13 to do!

theres a ****in difference between a levels and gcses kid
gcses are **** all compared to a levels i can piss on the paper and still get an A*
Original post by Craming Revision
theres a ****in difference between a levels and gcses kid
gcses are **** all compared to a levels i can piss on the paper and still get an A*

Lmfao funny guuuuyyyyyy i dont care i was just saying mateee! chill your beans.
Original post by clareramos
you shouldn't do long revision sessions, you should do 15 minutes, then do something else, then another 15 minutes. It can add up to 6 hours, but don't do it in large chunks, won't go in.

You might be getting negged, but this is very good advice. Today, I did 30 minute revision chunks and got quite far - the day before I just sat at a table all day and gradually became more and more less productive.
Original post by Alex-Torres
You might be getting negged, but this is very good advice. Today, I did 30 minute revision chunks and got quite far - the day before I just sat at a table all day and gradually became more and more less productive.

a lot of students don't like advice from someone who they see as a teacher. I used to teach, but now lecture, but still do a lot of work with JCQ, and have picked up good techniques.
Original post by Anythingoo1
Which exams, out of curiosity?

personally, I'd be doing about 4-5 hours a day if I had 6 exams (because I'm lazier than you and have a worser work ethic :colondollar:) but hey more is better :smile:

Philosophy & Ethics, History, English Literature & Sociology. :smile:

But I'm worried about the exam technique mainly!
Original post by upthegunners
I have 8 and I am doing 4 hours a day max...

I did more for my January exams and can honestly say it's a waste of time.

Think of it like this- Your brain is like an empty class. You can only fit so much stuff(information) in that class. It will fill up within a few hours worth of work (about 3 for me) and then you struggle to remember things effectively.
Your brain needs a night of sleep to process all that information. Then the next day recap it all briefly!

Also: Remembering one word is a lot easier than remember 10 words. So the less you do the more likely you are to remember it. I did about 45minutes worth of biology yesterday and can honestly say I remember about 85-90% of it.

30 minutes on.15 minutes off...30 minutes on...15 minutes off. Repeat 4/5 times a day and you'll be sorted come may time.

But, surely it depends on what works best for you? And, also what type of subjects your doing? I'm doing Philosophy, English, History and Sociology therefore there's a lot of content to remember. What I do is copy out each subtopic from gathered materials, (writing is quite messey) then condense that into two sides worth of notes for that sub topic. Say it out loud, record myself even if it's quite hard and end up remembering most of it. However, in order to do this it takes me around two hours for each subject.
Original post by erp
What subjects are you taking?!

Philosophy & Ethics (2 exams), History (Two topics, 2 exams), English Literatue & Sociology
Reply 56
Original post by clareramos
you shouldn't do long revision sessions, you should do 15 minutes, then do something else, then another 15 minutes. It can add up to 6 hours, but don't do it in large chunks, won't go in.

I think that varies from person to person. If I revised for 15 mins then left for 15. I can guarantee I won't be returning for about 2 hours.

I can revise for a solid 4 hours or so and remember pretty much everything I've gone through. But that's just me. Perhaps others need a break from time to time. But I've got used to doing everything last minute, and yes sometimes with revision too, so I'm almost conditioned to having to remember everything in 6 hours or so because I've left it.

Maybe others need the break but I'm sure there are those that can just revise solidly too.
Original post by im so academic
HOW do you manage that?! :eek:

Get up early at around 7/8 and revise for two hours. (5/10/15 min breaks depending on motivation), then repeat- lunch break which is usually about 2 hours or if I'm feeling stressed then it's 4. Repeat the first routine for the next four hours- by around 7/8ish I'm done.

Oh, Completely having no regard for a social life for two weeks also counts
Original post by FloydRix
employers don't care about a levels, why waste your childhood?

A lot of graduate employers do actually.
Reply 59
I wish I had the will to study for 6 hours non stop. Nice going.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending