The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by rainbow.panda
I don't want kids either and I also get comments like "you'll change your mind someday" and "you'll want them when you meet the right guy" and all that crap. I'm not good with kids at all so I know I'd make a terrible parent!

I think a lot of people are making the decision to have kids far too young, before they've settled down properly and have all their affairs in order, and are actually mature enough to take responsibility for another human life. My mum was 32 when she had me (and I was her first child) which is supposedly "old" by today's standards, but in my mind that's the perfect age to have kids. People rush things too much these days and I think that's part of the reason why we end up with so many single parents.

That's not considered old by today's standards. :confused:it's actually a lot more common now to have children when you're older.
Reply 41
Well its everyone to their own to be honest personally id rather like a son to carry on my line and all that :rolleyes:
Plus if its a son i dont have to worry about some greasy little turd ball doing unspeakable things to her in my house and me thus going to jail for then doing unspesakable things to him with a cricket bat..
Reply 42
I want to have kids but I'm only 5'5 tall, I wouldn't want them to suffer in this discriminatory society, for now I wouldn't

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 18 and I change my mind all the time. My friends have relatives who are pregnant so the topic comes up a lot and my closest friends are baby mad.

The youngest person in my family is almost 14 and I haven't held a baby in about 8 years so I wouldn't know if I'm maternal or good with kids. However, having grown up with two siblings I think it would be fun and a big challenge (in a positive way) to have a family.

When I think about a future with kids, I look forward to taking them to stuff like football practice or the park. General kid stuff. I think a child, or children, would be a great impact on my life.

I think I want kids because it would allow me to develop as a person more and I'd like to give them all the opportunities in life I never had.
I'm quite a selfish person and I do not want something that is so dependent on me. I enjoy holidays and my hobbies and quite frankly I don't want to ruin my figure or push a person out of me, it scares me. Unfortunately my boyfriend is 33 and has started wanting kids, so I can see that causing trouble down the road.
Reply 45
Original post by cl_steele
Well its everyone to their own to be honest personally id rather like a son to carry on my line and all that :rolleyes:
Plus if its a son i dont have to worry about some greasy little turd ball doing unspeakable things to her in my house and me thus going to jail for then doing unspesakable things to him with a cricket bat..

Instead you'd like your child to be the greasy turd ball doing unspeakable things and being beaten up by a cricket bat?
Reply 46
Original post by pandabird
Instead you'd like your child to be the greasy turd ball doing unspeakable things and being beaten up by a cricket bat?

Good one.:smile:
Reply 47
Original post by OL1V3R
I've been thinking about this recently and I am pretty adament that I do not want kids when I am older. I am pretty young, at the age of 21, but I can't see it ever being a possibility. For one thing, kids drive me nuts, especially when they always go out of their own way to be disobedient as exhibited in schools (people in my class always used to be disruptive when I was in school and it really peeved me off). The concept of potentially having to raise a child (if my future partner demands it) depresses me, because of the high level of commitment involved, the fact that it would give my life a more deterministic turn and my offspring taking over would be a further cynical reminder that my time on Earth is limited and finite. I can see raising a child a very financial and psychological drain on me as I am slightly autistic and experience moments of depression and anxiety, so raising a child would not benefit me in the slightest. I would want to be in complete control of my life and make sure I satisfy myself (by keeping fit, being in academia and playing music) and make sure I am stable rather than create a huge compromise in my life by meeting someone who desperately wants children (as most women seem to).

What annoys me even more, is that when I tell people I don't want kids (e.g. my parents, friends) they're like "You can't decide yet" or "The time will come when is right" but this annoys me because it implies that I'm being expected to have children or that my views simply aren't valid. Furthermore, I hate how there is generally a fair bit of pressure and expectation from society for people to have children, and to point it out when someone doesn't want them (similarly for settling down and getting married). It seems to imply that there is only one way to live.

I don't see what the fuss is about wanting to have kids and I think most people only have them because it's the "done thing" or because it is human nature to reproduce, so people just do it without fully thinking about why. I don't have a problem with what other people choose to do but I just can't see how it would benefit me, especially since many people my age are wanting to get engaged/married and have children and stuff, whereas I'm finishing my undergraduate degree next year and I barely feel like my life has even begun!

Original post by LSD
The "you can't decide yet!" Thing also bothers me. I decided that I didn't want children when I was 12 years old, I'm now almost 21 and have never shifted from my position of thought, despite friends/relatives having children around me. I doubt I'll ever change my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a time and place for everything. IF / WHEN the the time/place comes it comes. (Not about expectation or pressure to fit in) Never say never. :rolleyes:
I don't want kids either... nor do I want to get married! That's been my point of view for as long as I can remember, but I've had people tell me this makes me selfish. :confused:

...I'll just get a dog, they're SO much cuter! :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by Dragonfly07
That's the thing I've always had a problem is. It is your RESPONSIBILITY as a person who CHOSE to bring a child into the world to look after them and raise them to the best of your ability.

The child never asked you to do anything for him, he just came bewildered into the world not knowing what was going on, then met some dude and a woman who he happened to live with.

It would be absolutely abhorrent to bring a child into the world by expecting him to do something for you in return before he was even born. It's like building a living and thinking insurance machine as a back-up, doesn't sound very caring OR loving to me. The amount of people who have the same opinion as you is concerning.

No amount of "but I love my child" or "it's something everyone else does" makes it a good excuse imo.

An expectation isn't a demand, an order or a debt. It's a weighing up of probabilities. I believe that, given the lessons I plan to teach any children I have about the importance of looking out for those who need it, it is likely that if they have any respect for me, they will be willing to help me in my time of need. I "expect" my friends to help me in a time of need as well, it's just the decent thing to do and it doesn't mean my friendships are exploitative - I would sure as hell help them out if they ever needed it.

I suppose you are saying all this because I can't guarantee my child's respect. Well I think my chances are good. I already know I have good intentions for them. I already know I want children for their intrinsic rather than instrumental value (which is anything but an "excuse" ). I don't see why I should be condemned for thinking that I might do a good enough job that my kids won't forsake me if I ever need their help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by MancBoy
Most of the time it's for either benefits or attention seeking.

This. The amount of girls who come and post pictures of their newborn on facebook - it's like, where's the shame? You had a one night stand and are no longer with the father yet you think you've done something good? :rolleyes:
Original post by cartman
This. The amount of girls who come and post pictures of their newborn on facebook - it's like, where's the shame? You had a one night stand and are no longer with the father yet you think you've done something good? :rolleyes:

Or all the "well done" comments - all you had to do was lie down. Better yet, the constant Facebook statuses to convince themselves that their kid is the best thing that's ever happened to them.
Reply 52
Original post by pandabird

Of course, he'd be getting lad points from his old man :tongue:
In my opinion, a lot of people have kids because:

A) It's the done thing.

B) It just 'happens' or is an accident.

C) They are pressured into it or do it for personal gain (to keep a man, get child benefits etc.).

D) Impulse or they think they would like to raise a child.

E) Would love to raise a child of their own and feel it is part of their calling in life.

F) Other reasons not otherwise specified in my rudimentary list.

I fall into E). I adore children and can't wait to raise a child of my own. I have a lot of patience for children, and am naturally nurturing. I used to think I wanted 12 children, but I have rethunk that. Children can be annoying and you can't send them back. So I'll start with one and see how I feel about another one.

However, if you feel like you don't want children, don't have any! If more people thought like you and were honest with themselves, perhaps we'd have less neglected and abused children in the world. Too many people have breeding apparatus' more functional than their brain. The amount of children I see, daily, who have parents who seem to despise them is shocking and heartbreaking.
Original post by vanessadixit
I don't want kids either... nor do I want to get married! That's been my point of view for as long as I can remember, but I've had people tell me this makes me selfish. :confused:

...I'll just get a dog, they're SO much cuter! :biggrin:

You're not selfish. Selfish would be having a child/getting married and treating them like **** because it's not what you really want. Which a high percentage of people do. You're most definitely not selfish hun. People are idiots.
It's very reassuring to hear that many people have similar views to me on this.

However, by not wanting children, would I be disadvantaged if I met someone in life who really badly wanted them? I couldn't exactly say on a first date that I don't want kids!
Reply 56
Wille zum leben.

Plants and animals want to go forth and multiply. It's a universal law of...well, the universe.
I work with children in a nursery and yet I still don't want children! Part of the beauty of my job is being able to hand the children back at the end of the day :p:
Original post by Redolent
I think the idea of bringing another human being into the world and raising them with the lessons you have learned from your life is pretty sweet. I can't imagine there'll be a whole lot to do when you're 30 years old, in a stable long term relationship with a stable and probably predictable career. Your children are modelled on you both genetically (unless you adopt) and environmentally, and although there are clear exceptions I would say it's fair to assume you'll find a lot of common ground with them, especially when they reach adult age. I reckon I could raise someone to have a positive influence on the world so I feel no guilt about "contributing to overpopulation" or something silly like that. Also, I like kids, I miss being one and I think their carefree and imaginative approach to life would have a positive impact on me psychologically despite the tantrums that would come with it.

Or, if you would prefer the cynical/pragmatic answer, I'd like to have close family there for me when I'm an old man, especially if my partner dies before I do or something. I imagine being an old person looking at their kids growing up, or even grandkids, would be a great source of pride. I can't imagine anything worse than being old and lonely with nothing but other frail old people for company.

I'm continually surprised by how many young people don't want kids. Modern life isn't that exciting.

Great answer. This basically.

Original post by MancBoy
Most of the time it's for either benefits or attention seeking.

you're generalising quite a large number of people there, what was it for your parents? benefits or attention seeking?

Original post by cartman

i don't think those people are doing it for benefits or attention seeking, i think they're just dumb and got pregnant by accident. I think you overestimate the intelligence of some people :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
The instinctive feeling is very strong, even hard core feminists that spent their younger years exhibiting "grrrl" power are throwing money at IVF clinics. I personally would want a family of about 6/7 kids.

Latest

Trending

Trending