The Student Room Group

Is M1 maths easy?

I have heard people talk of how hard M1 Mechanics is in Alevel Maths?

I really don't find it difficult at all; is this normal? I just can't see what people find difficult about it.. In 90% of the questions you'll just have to resolve forces and use a simultaneous equation..

Anyone agree? I don't know if I should be finding it this easy. But I am. :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, M1 and M2 aren't really that challenging, it's M3-M5 where it starts getting interesting/challenging.
Reply 2
It was extremely hard for me at first since I hadn't had any exposure to physics post foundation gcse level, however after about 2months I understand pretty much all the concepts now, vectors are still a little bit challenging but overall M1 is quite nice
Reply 3
Original post by Noble.
No, M1 and M2 aren't really that challenging, it's M3-M5 where it starts getting interesting/challenging.

People say that M1 is the hardest ASmodule ... I just don't see how some people find it so hard.. people in my school go on like it's a degree level paper on quantum mechanics
Reply 4
Original post by Robbie242
It was extremely hard for me at first since I hadn't had any exposure to physics post foundation gcse level, however after about 2months I understand pretty much all the concepts now, vectors are still a little bit challenging but overall M1 is quite nice

aw i see :smile: i find m1 easier than c1...it just requires logic
Reply 5
Original post by upthegunners
People say that M1 is the hardest ASmodule ... I just don't see how some people find it so hard.. people in my school go on like it's a degree level paper on quantum mechanics

Most people I knew found M1 easy, so don't feel 'bad' that you find it straightforward :lol:
As an above poster has said M1 and M2 may seem difficult with no prior physics knowledge but it's down to perspective. Compared to later Mechanics modules, they are very easy.
I have heard people talk of how hard M1 Mechanics is in Alevel Maths?

I really don't find it difficult at all; is this normal? I just can't see what people find difficult about it.. In 90% of the questions you'll just have to resolve forces and use a simultaneous equation..

Anyone agree? I don't know if I should be finding it this easy. But I am. :confused:

I agree with Noble. I'd say that the only reason why people choose stats over mechanics is because it's much simpler (and incredibly boring :lol:)
Reply 8
Personally M1 is the hardest module for me; I think people that do Physics will find it much easier.
Reply 9
Original post by smileyelzz
Personally M1 is the hardest module for me; I think people that do Physics will find it much easier.

Surprisingly not, the only maths physics involves is rearranging a fraction.
Original post by Noble.

That's so true haha

People make out Physics to be soo hard too

Tbh, imo, the hardest Alevel is Chemistry. And even at that..It's not THAT difficult.

The maths content in physics is a joke..they make me explain something through words when i could explain it with a simple equation
Original post by Noble.

But don't you do moments and kinematics in Physics?

yea but its so easy..A LOT easier than M1
Reply 13
That's so true haha

People make out Physics to be soo hard too

Tbh, imo, the hardest Alevel is Chemistry. And even at that..It's not THAT difficult.

The maths content in physics is a joke..they make me explain something through words when i could explain it with a simple equation

I found Chemistry the most difficult out of all the science A-Levels, but it was also the A-Level I did the best in.
yea but its so easy..A LOT easier than M1

Oh okay, I was just going by what people in my Mechanics class have said :rolleyes:
M1 at A level, its easy dude...the questions are similar..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

The mechanics part of physics is not that big at all, and far less in depth than what we get in M1. I'd say that people who take physics are generally better at it because they'll but the more scientifically inclined than those who take other subjects instead.
Original post by Noble.
I found Chemistry the most difficult out of all the science A-Levels, but it was also the A-Level I did the best in.

I find it hard, but not unbearable. It's all about understand the basics with Chemistry I think.. If you can nail that then it's not all that hard.

What did you get in it? (If you don't mind me asking)

I imagine that Physics at A2Level would get trickier.
Reply 18
I find it hard, but not unbearable. It's all about understand the basics with Chemistry I think.. If you can nail that then it's not all that hard.

What did you get in it? (If you don't mind me asking)

I imagine that Physics at A2Level would get trickier.

About 595/600 or so.
Original post by PrinceyJ
The mechanics part of physics is not that big at all, and far less in depth than what we get in M1. I'd say that people who take physics are generally better at it because they'll but the more scientifically inclined than those who take other subjects instead.

This. The mechanics in physics is so minimal. Seriously, in your exam you'll probably get one mechanics question that simply requires you to use v= u + at to find the velocity...

Job done and 4 marks in the basket

Quick Reply

Latest