The Student Room Group

Gym pet peeves

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mother_Russia
Grunting. It seriously unsettles me, although at times makes me giggle.

lift heavy then we'll talk

Dropping weights. Terrifies me. If you've been nlifting all this time, then spend that last one pulling it down.

Specifically in the deadlift, injury is most likely to occur in the eccentric portion - it is safer to drop it in a controlled manner than to lower it

People walking on a steep incline on the treadmills. Does that actually do anything?

It's actually a pretty good calf and hamstring workout, and it's more challenging than walking on the flat. Are you threatened that someone might be working harder than you?

123410char
Reply 61
I agree with the OP, nothing worse than someone curling one out in the squat area....:tongue:
Dirty changing area
hate when ppl decide to use the locker room as a communal changing room, when the changing rooms are next door!!! It's disgusting!! Especially when....oh wateva, just trust me, it's disgusting!!
you wanna remove your swimming costume, fine!! In a changing room.... With a towel.... Not in full view of all other gym users!!
when im packing my **** getting ready to leave after a ****ing intense crazy deadlifting session, and an old guy walks out of the shower in the changing rooms, and rubs talc over his dick, creating a cloud of dick covered talcum powder, i hold my breath and run.
People who use every single machine (literally) and do 1 set on each for like 6 reps, hahah
Reply 65
Original post by Pegasus2
I grunt on the erg towards the end, for which I apologise in advance.

Whenever I go on a treadmill, I always get bored so I think of the training montage from Rocky IV when the soviet offical gives a sly nod and then I crank the incline and speed up as far as it will go like Ivan Drago. I often grunt a bit then but I don't apologise - it is just a bit of fun.
I thought of one today. It's not really a gym pet peeve, it's an internet pet peeve because I've never seen it actually happen but I have seen people bragging about it, usually on the SS forums (lol everyone there is a pet peeve because they're all *******s). When people ask for a spot, and the spotter does it wrong, and they shout at the spotter. Yeah, you asked a stranger for a favour and they took time out of their day to do it just because most strangers are nice people BUT THAT SELFISH MOTHER****ER TOUCHED THE BAR TOO EARLY OMG MY GAINS ARE RUINED SO I AVERTED THE CRISIS BY CUSSING HIM OUT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE. Sure you did. But since they think it's cool to go on the internet and brag about being a total sociopath it's possible that it actually happened.
Reply 67
I hate it when people lift way too heavy, so they get their buddy to pretty much help them throughout the whole movement/reps. This happens ALOT on bench, dumbbell stuff. I always wonder, why not just go lighter and work up to the weight on your own? You wouldn't ask your buddy to **** you off now would you? -.-
Original post by Nunkey
You wouldn't ask your buddy to **** you off now would you? -.-

Would it annoy you if they did?
Reply 69
Original post by Nunkey
You wouldn't ask your buddy to **** you off now would you? -.-

You're not all that close to your friends then...
Reply 70
Original post by The Troll Toll
Would it annoy you if they did?

I'd join in
What is curling in the squat area?
The complete idiots who steal the dumbbells. It's especially annoying when they take the ones I would have used.
(edited 10 years ago)
Things that everyone else has said annoy me:

Not cleaning up sweat, sitting on a machine for ages without doing anything etc.

But another thing is when I'm on the ergo (rowing machine) and someone gets on the one next to me and keeps sneaking looks at the stats, e.g. stroke rate and distance. Just go away - I'm not exactly Redgrave so why on Earth you want to look at my stats is beyond me.

Oh and another one I just remembered. In the changing rooms when someone takes up the entire bench with bags and stuff, just put them on the floor for crying out loud.
Reply 74
People who only come in to walk on the treadmill - just go for a walk outside!
People who just sit on machines when I clearly want to be using them
People who stare at me
The fact I'm the only girl in the gym who actually seems to sweat - either the rest are just immune to sweat or just aren't working hard enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Ah yes, and kids who come in with their friends and start shouting/screaming and going for a flat out sprint for 10 seconds and then hopping off the machine - rather pointless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jen090393

The fact I'm the only girl in the gym who actually seems to sweat - either the rest are just immune to sweat or just aren't working hard enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

So agree with this. I saw a girl on a treadmill with a magazine laid out on the handles, she was leaning on the screen reading the magazine whilst pedalling uselessly slowly. She would've worked out harder than that just walking to the gym, so why bother!?

I will be covered in sweat after a gym sesh, and granted look pretty awful, and I always get people giving me disgusted or weird looks, as if to work hard and so sweat copiously in a gym is socially unacceptable behaviour...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire S
The total lack of free weights at my gym
Original post by Antifazian
So agree with this. I saw a girl on a treadmill with a magazine laid out on the handles, she was leaning on the screen reading the magazine whilst pedalling uselessly slowly. She would've worked out harder than that just walking to the gym, so why bother!?

I will be covered in sweat after a gym sesh, and granted look pretty awful, and I always get people giving me disgusted or weird looks, as if to work hard and so sweat copiously in a gym is socially unacceptable behaviour...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire S

Pedalling on the treadmill lol? It annoys me seeing people putting the treadmill incline on 15 but then clinging on for dear life and leaning back as they walk:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by Dhaden
Bet you've never seen someone curling in the squat rack.

Anyways ot, people who grunt like their getting penetrated from the behind, slam weights on the floor to prove how hench they are and people who do not return the weights to the rack.

I actually know a few guys that curl in the squat rack if no one is using it, but these are grown men that curl 40k + an olympic bar.

Quick Reply