The Student Room Group

The 'Which uni to pick' thread!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CHelenL
Thank you! :smile: I think I am leaning more towards newcastle, so if I do choose there do you have any advice about which halls are the best? - thanks for your help :biggrin:

I've sent you a PM so that I could give you more information on the different halls.
Reply 61
Hello, I'm having difficulties deciding which dental school to go to, my choices are between Newcastle & Bristol. Which one would you guys firm? Why? Thank you! :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 62
Original post by teethy:D
Hello, I'm having difficulties deciding which dental school to go to, my choices are between Newcastle & Bristol. Which one would you guys firm? Why? Thank you! :smile::smile::smile:

Newcastle! Personal opinion of course, but I'd say it's the better dental school, better student city, better night life, friendlier!

Newcastle. :yes:

- Course is more modernised
- Friendly dental school
- City is more exciting
Original post by Devina-S
Ah it's a horrible decision to make! They're both great uni's, and when I visited them I concluded that I prefer Birmingham's campus and feel but loved Warwick too, and the rep is undeniable, esp for business (which is what I want to do). I am swaying more towards Bham however, because AAA seems a bit unachievable to me now, Spanish is so difficult to get an A in :-/ what is your gut feeling?

My gut is probably 85% feeling Birmingham tbh. I've never been one for gravitating towards reputation, (shown by how i returned from the Oxford open day very unimpressed!). I did the coin trick - flip a coin, heads for warwick, tails for bham, and if youre slightly disappointed by the one you get you should go for the other one. It landed on heads for warwick and i did feel disappointed.

What are you thinking??
Reply 65
Original post by chloerachel94
My gut is probably 85% feeling Birmingham tbh. I've never been one for gravitating towards reputation, (shown by how i returned from the Oxford open day very unimpressed!). I did the coin trick - flip a coin, heads for warwick, tails for bham, and if youre slightly disappointed by the one you get you should go for the other one. It landed on heads for warwick and i did feel disappointed.

What are you thinking??

Ah wow! Unimpressed with Oxford :redface: I may just try the coin flip! My gut is Warwick; I've wanted to go there since I was 16 but I loved Birmingham! I guess it's just the grade requirement holding me back. To be honest, I'd be happy anywhere, since I know neither would hinder my chances of getting a good job. Are you going to firm Bham then? :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by Haarts
Thank you for making this thread!

My choice is between Sheffield, King's and Newcastle...I am undecided as to whether King's or Newcastle will be my firm choice...

So, King's or Newcastle?

Thanks

Im still having a dilemma arrrrgghh!!

Any help woud be appreciated :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by Haarts
Im still having a dilemma arrrrgghh!!

Any help woud be appreciated :smile:

Definitely King's! King's has always been one of the top dental schools, the largest in fact. Whereas, Newcastle is usually ranked one of the worst.
Reply 68
Definitely King's! King's has always been one of the top dental schools, the largest in fact. Whereas, Newcastle is usually ranked one of the worst.

Newcastle being ranked as one the the worst is the perfect evidence to show that the league tables aren't valid. Newcastle is one the of the best dental schools in this country.
Reply 69
Original post by Haarts
Newcastle being ranked as one the the worst is the perfect evidence to show that the league tables aren't valid. Newcastle is one the of the best dental schools in this country.

Then I would say, do you prefer a metropolitan city like London or a peaceful city like Newcastle..
Reply 70
Then I would say, do you prefer a metropolitan city like London or a peaceful city like Newcastle..

Yes I mean they're both great cities but nothing compares to London I guess. I really don't know! So confused haha
Original post by Devina-S
Ah wow! Unimpressed with Oxford :redface: I may just try the coin flip! My gut is Warwick; I've wanted to go there since I was 16 but I loved Birmingham! I guess it's just the grade requirement holding me back. To be honest, I'd be happy anywhere, since I know neither would hinder my chances of getting a good job. Are you going to firm Bham then? :smile:

our situation is so similar! i visited warwick right at the beginning of year 12 and loved it straight away, but once i had seen birmingham and had a good long think, i think its very easy to fall a bit in love with the place you see first. i firmed birmingham this week on the basis that there was nothing between the courses and its a place i'd rather spend 3 years of my life at, so i am definitley going to uni :redface: can't believe it!
Reply 72
Original post by chloerachel94
our situation is so similar! i visited warwick right at the beginning of year 12 and loved it straight away, but once i had seen birmingham and had a good long think, i think its very easy to fall a bit in love with the place you see first. i firmed birmingham this week on the basis that there was nothing between the courses and its a place i'd rather spend 3 years of my life at, so i am definitley going to uni :redface: can't believe it!

I definitely understand what you mean by falling in love with the first uni you see! That happened to me with Warwick too :smile: but I saw it again yesterday and loved it equally as the first time so I will be firming it tomorrow I think and will insure Birmingham. It's the struggle of getting the grades now!
Reply 73
Hi I am a Canadian, I have the choice between Newcastle and Southampton for MBA. Any pros and cons for either of them in terms of which Companies come there for campus recruiting? I want to get into Mgmt. Consulting.

Newcastle has 2/3 major accreditation and Southampton has 1/3 major accreditation
Newcastle is way up north and not sure if any major companies go there for campus recruiting though but has a much lower fees compared to Southampton. However I am certain that Ernst & Young, Deloitte among other companies do go to Southampton for Campus recruiting.

Any advice?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest