The Student Room Group

How to do well on A-level Maths

I am doing A2 Maths and right now I am on an E grade. I really need to push up to at least a C. An E is disgraceful! I will be doing C3, C4 S1 and S2 in summer.
Reply 1
Original post by Saif95
I am doing A2 Maths and right now I am on an E grade. I really need to push up to at least a C. An E is disgraceful! I will be doing C3, C4 S1 and S2 in summer.

Can I ask which spec you're doing? If its OCR I recommend the revision book that CGP do, work your way through that and you should hopefully pull yourself up a bit :smile:
Reply 2
I'm kinda in the same position currently at a D grade, just put more effort into it, youtube and the khan academy are great. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Saif95

http://www.examsolutions.net/
http://m.youtube.com/#/user/maths247?&desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2Fmaths247

Make sure you understand the content, do as much practice as possible and do all past papers available.

Goo luck:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
There are many useful YouTube channels that are dedicated to helping people pull their grades up. You might want to have a look around and see which one is best for you, but may I start by recommending maths247 (as recommended by krisshP). Good luck for your exams!
Practice young padawan
Reply 6
I'm doing OCR MEI A2 maths, and i'm finding it soooooo difficult. Watching videos makes me understand the topics but when it comes to exam papers, i can't apply my knowledge. C4 ans M1 are especially really hard. I really need a grade B but I am no where near that.... :frown:
Original post by melony852
I'm doing OCR MEI A2 maths, and i'm finding it soooooo difficult. Watching videos makes me understand the topics but when it comes to exam papers, i can't apply my knowledge. C4 ans M1 are especially really hard. I really need a grade B but I am no where near that.... :frown:

Hi I'm in the exact same position as you! Are you retaking M1 in summer?I hope maths isn't the reason I don't get into uni but got to keep positive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by laurennorton
Hi I'm in the exact same position as you! Are you retaking M1 in summer?I hope maths isn't the reason I don't get into uni but got to keep positive :smile:

Hi! Yes, I neeeeed to take M1, its not even a choice, i got a D in it :frown: i think maths is gonna be the end of my dreams of getting into uni.....:frown:
[QUOTE="melony852;42080806"]

Hi! Yes, I neeeeed to take M1, its not even a choice, i got a D in it :frown: i think maths is gonna be the end of my dreams of getting into uni.....:frown:

It's so annoying, me too I got a U how embarrassing :/ what uni are you hoping to go to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
[QUOTE="laurennorton;42085766"]

It's so annoying, me too I got a U how embarrassing :/ what uni are you hoping to go to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate MEI SOOOOOOOO much!!! I'm hoping to get unit UCL for chemistry and i need a B in maths..... What about you?
Reply 11
If it makes you feel a little more optimistic I went from a E in M1 to a high B when I retook.. I just had to practice LOADS
Reply 12
Original post by Saif95

Go over lots of past papers and if you need help post on tsr or look back at the examples in the textbook; and work out how to get the answer from there!
(edited 11 years ago)
[QUOTE="melony852;42109430"]

I hate MEI SOOOOOOOO much!!! I'm hoping to get unit UCL for chemistry and i need a B in maths..... What about you?

Me too!! Ah that's great, good luck :smile: and I'm hopefully going to Brunel to study English, also needing an B in maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kara1
If it makes you feel a little more optimistic I went from a E in M1 to a high B when I retook.. I just had to practice LOADS

That does make me feel better! Thank you :smile: just need to work my butt off :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Past papers. Past papers. Past papers.
Sit a past paper, grade yourself harshly, and go over everything you dropped marks on.
There are so many resources available for maths, I suggest you use:

Your own notes

Livemaths

Khanacademy

Search your topic on YouTube- there are thousands of tutorials

Textbooks provided by your college

After you've sat a past paper, reflected on your mistakes and resolved the issues, Rinse and repeat.
In January I sat C1, C2 and D1 (I do Further Maths) and scored 95/79/70 , respectively. I really wanted to get a great score on C1 so I did the above, and got a pretty good mark. While there is improvement to be made on 95, I think it's pretty sound.
Reply 16
[QUOTE="laurennorton;42109741"]

Me too!! Ah that's great, good luck :smile: and I'm hopefully going to Brunel to study English, also needing an B in maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck to you too!! I know I'm gonna need LOADS of it!
I'm with MEI too, right now I'm doing C1, C2 & S1 as I'm an AS student. We use the Hodders Education textbooks in class paired with the MEI integral website. I was on a firm E/U grade in class, spent 3 days (7+ hours each day) learning the basics of S1 off youtube/examsolutions/textbook and did around 10 past papers on some other days and got an A. Me and my teacher were in disbelief considering I was SURE I was going to fail. If I can do it, so can you. :smile:, this is for S1 & C1 though.

Maths was an absolute nightmare at first, but the more you keep practising, the more comfortable you become with it.
Get the past papers and mark schemes off of the website, do the past papers but afterwards, go through with the mark scheme and look where you gain marks and where you lose them. The practise will always do you good and you can see where you're going wrong so can remedy it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending