The Student Room Group

Stereotypical 'Gap Year' is a Waste of Time. Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Nick1sHere
Saying my Russian is rusty would be putting it very mildly. But how hard could it be? :rofl:

Hah, it is one of the regions of the world left that English is really not widely spoken - though it is being taught at an increasing rate. You could do an overland trip from Uzbekistan to China - now that would be a brilliant trip.
Reply 81
Original post by jamesrobbo1
Hahahahha sheeps gon sheep. Made my night with that quote. My fave region would be central asia - tajikistan etc. Its so overlooked but the landscape is immense, the prices are low, and its easy (somewhat) to get around. You might need basic Russian or be very good at explaining things with ur hands. Perhaps narrow it down to a continent and Ill advise as such.

Putain fais chier...you are not paying attention. How many countries have I directly referred to herein? TWO: Oz and Thailand....

Actually you said SE Asia and baring in mind Australia is a continent and all my point stands.
Reply 82
Original post by cl_steele
Actually you said SE Asia and baring in mind Australia is a continent and all my point stands.

Australia is absolutely not a continent, rethink this point.

I probably did say SE Asia - I stand by that comment. But SE Asia is definitely not a continent.
Reply 83
Original post by anonymousqwerty
and sheldon from the big bang theory ha

I think most of us here would postulate that Sheldon is an enthralling character.

Did I upset you?
bazinga!
Reply 85
Original post by anonymousqwerty
Yeh i love him on tv too, but i wouldnt want to hang out with him though...

No one has implied you would have the pleasure to do so.
Reply 86
Australia is absolutely not a continent, rethink this point.

I probably did say SE Asia - I stand by that comment. But SE Asia is definitely not a continent.

yes it is... Australasia/Oceania... never hesrd of it?
i didnt say SE Asia was, i said nearly two continents i.e the nearly.
I want to take a gap year in a couple of years...

My friend said; yep, Brazil, Thailand and Australia as countries...

I said; China, New Zealand/Australia...

Anyway, I kind of agree with some things you've said in a way... But I don't see why you think people shouldn't go there.

Not everyone wants a gap year that teaches you a language, that morally changes you or gives you some divine experience. They just want a holiday?

I for one would love China so I can improve my (soon to be learnt) Chinese...

Do you have any recommendations?

I'm learning: French, Spanish, German and Italian (also, English, rusty welsh actually it's useless) and I'm starting some Russian :lol:

I'd like to improve language!
My gap year was great and if it weren't for it, it wouldn't have been able to achieve the grades things I did. I don't regret it one bit!
Original post by MeikleTreikle
Someone's set out to prove how superior their gap year is to mere mortals' it seems

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to mention a bit of boasting about the 99 countries he's visited - he knew the question would come up.
Would you like me to get some giant sugar cubes for your high horse OP?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not to mention a bit of boasting about the 99 countries he's visited - he knew the question would come up.

I'm calling bull**** on 99 countries. "I've been lucky enough to have a few study abroad opportunities"
That isn't a few. 99 is a lot of countries. Flying over them doesn't count.
Reply 92
A gap year is not pointless. I didn't have won but I would loved to have gone somewhere, even for 6 months.

To those who said going away for a year and lying on a beach isn't doing something productive - yes it is - because you're never going to have that opportunity to just live life for a year completely carefree and devoid of any real world problems again until you retire, similarly going and volunteering or whatever is also not pointless. These are the things that you simply don't get time to do in adult life.

I don't think it's any more character building than working full-time in the UK for a year, but it's an opportunity to go somewhere and do something that you will likely not have the opportunity to do when you are older.
Reply 93
Original post by chapmouse
I'm calling bull**** on 99 countries. "I've been lucky enough to have a few study abroad opportunities"

Do flight transfers count? :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's over half of all of the UN member states. Quite hard work visiting that many - my Dad has travelled a great deal to unusual parts of the world for his job and it took him quite a long time to reach those kinds of figures.
Original post by ss_s95

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm gonna say no, because you don't really get to see the country. Oh, and States don't count. I've been to NY, Florida, and Utah, but i'm still only gonna count that as the one country
Alas, thats not replicable in the UK; but the sheer number of people who do that is hilarity at its finest.

Explore, but explore something worth exploring I implore you.

Didn't say all gap years are such. Read again.

Good post, balanced.

Your paragraph about when people talk about generic experiences is exactly what I have been describing hitherto.

I am yet to hear a truly unique anecdote from Australia.

It doesn't matter how unique it is. People still want to experience it for themselves, especially if they aren't privileged enough to have had multiple travelling opportunities. I don't care if everyone else has already watched Schindlers List and read Eat Pray Love, I still want to experience those things myself and talk about them with other people. I fail to understand the benefits of being some kind of extremist hipster who refuses to do anything anyone else has. I talk about generic experiences with people all the time, but still enjoy the conversation. Someone talking about their time in Benidorm could be more interesting than someone talking about visiting the Amazon and making first contact with long lost tribes. It's the individual that makes an interesting anecdote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
I'm gonna say no, because you don't really get to see the country. Oh, and States don't count. I've been to NY, Florida, and Utah, but i'm still only gonna count that as the one country

I was being sarcastic :rolleyes:
Reply 99
Original post by cl_steele
yes it is... Australasia/Oceania... never hesrd of it?
i didnt say SE Asia was, i said nearly two continents i.e the nearly.

Australia is not the same as Australasia.

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I want to take a gap year in a couple of years...

My friend said; yep, Brazil, Thailand and Australia as countries...

I said; China, New Zealand/Australia...

Anyway, I kind of agree with some things you've said in a way... But I don't see why you think people shouldn't go there.

Not everyone wants a gap year that teaches you a language, that morally changes you or gives you some divine experience. They just want a holiday?

I for one would love China so I can improve my (soon to be learnt) Chinese...

Do you have any recommendations?

I'm learning: French, Spanish, German and Italian (also, English, rusty welsh actually it's useless) and I'm starting some Russian :lol:

I'd like to improve language!

Theres so many language programmes you can go on. I have been on two in China, if you want to know more PM me mate.

Original post by Iamyourfather
My gap year was great and if it weren't for it, it wouldn't have been able to achieve the grades things I did. I don't regret it one bit!

Good for you, are you convincing me, or yourself?

No - and I hoped it would not

Original post by wrnicholls
Would you like me to get some giant sugar cubes for your high horse OP?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Why not?

Example: Worked in the Congo but visited 15 other African countries before, during and after my time there.

Original post by munn
A gap year is not pointless. I didn't have won but I would loved to have gone somewhere, even for 6 months.

To those who said going away for a year and lying on a beach isn't doing something productive - yes it is - because you're never going to have that opportunity to just live life for a year completely carefree and devoid of any real world problems again until you retire, similarly going and volunteering or whatever is also not pointless. These are the things that you simply don't get time to do in adult life.

I don't think it's any more character building than working full-time in the UK for a year, but it's an opportunity to go somewhere and do something that you will likely not have the opportunity to do when you are older.

Many volunteering programmes do more damage than good.

Original post by ss_s95

Posted from TSR Mobile

No - unless you stay in the country for a minimum of twenty four hourse (my personal rule anyway).

It's over half of all of the UN member states. Quite hard work visiting that many - my Dad has travelled a great deal to unusual parts of the world for his job and it took him quite a long time to reach those kinds of figures.

It has taken me about five years. I think I wont complete the full UN until another 30 years though.

Stop plugging this garbage here.

Original post by Sheldor
It doesn't matter how unique it is. People still want to experience it for themselves, especially if they aren't privileged enough to have had multiple travelling opportunities. I don't care if everyone else has already watched Schindlers List and read Eat Pray Love, I still want to experience those things myself and talk about them with other people. I fail to understand the benefits of being some kind of extremist hipster who refuses to do anything anyone else has. I talk about generic experiences with people all the time, but still enjoy the conversation. Someone talking about their time in Benidorm could be more interesting than someone talking about visiting the Amazon and making first contact with long lost tribes. It's the individual that makes an interesting anecdote.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is going to Benidorm the same as making contact with a long lost tribe? Come off it mate. All I am doing is advocating the alternate options.

Quick Reply

Latest