The Student Room Group

Accepted conditionally at BCU, can I ask to defer?

So I applied for the Primary teacher with QTS at Birmingham City Uni.

Now to get onto a teaching course you must first pass a key skills teaching test in maths and English. So this is the condition of my acceptance.

You only get two chances and then you are locked out of the exam for 2 years, which would pretty much put my life on hold. Due to this I would like to spend a year brushing up on my maths as, while I can get the right answers in the practice test online, I can't do it fast enough.

Does anyone know if it likely that the University will allow me to defer my offer until next year?
(edited 11 years ago)
They don't have to offer you a deferred place, but you can certainly ask and there's a good chance they will :yes:
Reply 2
Original post by Potally_Tissed
They don't have to offer you a deferred place, but you can certainly ask and there's a good chance they will :yes:

I'm just worried that, if I phone up Monday and ask, they will turn around and say "No!" and then this will have a negative impact when I reapply next year...
Original post by Green Tea
I'm just worried that, if I phone up Monday and ask, they will turn around and say "No!" and then this will have a negative impact when I reapply next year...

They'll probably say yes since you've got a very sensible reason for wanting to defer :yep: You've got nothing to lose by asking.
Reply 4
If passing the exam is a condition of your offer, deferring won't help. You still need to meet the offer by August 31st 2013.

If you want to spend a year practising you'll need to withdraw and reapply.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone
Reply 5
Original post by Potally_Tissed
They'll probably say yes since you've got a very sensible reason for wanting to defer :yep: You've got nothing to lose by asking.

That's what I was thinking, I don't just want an extra year for the hell of it.
They wouldn't turn around and and say that while I can't defer, they are also going to remove the offer for this year?

Original post by Juno
If passing the exam is a condition of your offer, deferring won't help. You still need to meet the offer by August 31st 2013.

If you want to spend a year practising you'll need to withdraw and reapply.

Ah, really?
Will withdrawing completely destroy my chances next year when they see my name again?
That's what I was thinking, I don't just want an extra year for the hell of it.
They wouldn't turn around and and say that while I can't defer, they are also going to remove the offer for this year?

I missed the part Juno picked up on. Deferring isn't likely to be a problem, but you still need to meet the conditions in the current academic year if you want to keep your place. They won't remove the offer just because you asked about it though :nah: And it won't ruin your chances for next year.
Reply 7

Ah, really?
Will withdrawing completely destroy my chances next year when they see my name again?

As long as you don't mess them about it won't affect your chances of getting an offer next year. However, you do need to think about what else you will do in your gap year as they might not think that spending a year just revising maths is a good use of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending