The Student Room Group

"Preferred subjects" - University

There's a course I'm interested in. They require 1 science subject ( maths or computer science preferred ) or Grade B in maths.

I'm doing 2 science subjects and also achieved B, does not doing Maths or Computer Science hinder my chance of getting an offer significantly?

Thanks for reading
Bit of clarification needed here - does it ask for '1 Science at A level (Computer Studies or Maths preferred) and grade B Maths GSCE'? And you are doing 2 sciences at A Level (but not the two preferred). and you have the GCSE Maths?

If so, you are likely to go into the 'pool', or 'reserve' (or similar) where once they have allocated offers to those who are taking CS and/or Maths at A Level, they will consider 'others' if needed. So, it will put you at a disadvantage, but it doesnt stop you applying. Just make sure your other 4 Uni choices are more realistic, or if you are really keen on this course/Uni, think about doing CS or Maths in 2014 and reapplying for the following year.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Bit of clarification needed here - does it ask for '1 Science at A level (Computer Studies or Maths preferred) and grade B Maths GSCE'? And you are doing 2 sciences at A Level (but not the two preferred). and you have the GCSE Maths?

If so, you are likely to go into the 'pool', or 'reserve' (or similar) where once they have allocated offers to those who are taking CS and/or Maths at A Level, they will consider 'others' if needed. So, it will put you at a disadvantage, but it doesnt stop you applying. Just make sure your other 4 Uni choices are more realistic, or if you are really keen on this course/Uni, think about doing CS or Maths in 2014 and reapplying for the following year.

They ask for 1 science at A level ( Computer Science or Maths preferred) OR Grade B maths GCSE.

Wouldn't they treat all applicants equally though even I don't do Maths or CS at a level?
Original post by yodawg321
Wouldn't they treat all applicants equally though even I don't do Maths or CS at a level?

No. That's what I've just explained above. They *prefer* applicants to have those subjects. That means if you dont have them, you go to the back of the queue.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
No. That's what I've just explained above. They *prefer* applicants to have those subjects. That means if you dont have them, you go to the back of the queue.

"We value both Chemistry and Physics as numerate subjects and so an application from you would receive full consideration from us". They also did go on to say that Maths is not essential.

E-Mailed Nottingham Uni and they replied this. Not sure if still means I would be at the "back of the queue".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending