The Student Room Group

What's better - a 2.1 from Oxbridge or a first from Aston?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joe_bromfield
It depends on the individual.

When I graduated from Aston in 2010 I was the top student in the entire university. Not just in my subject, but across ALL subjects. I averaged well over 80%. I then went on to blitz MSc Economics at the University of Bristol and now I'm doing a PhD.

Reasons I went to Aston: I had a rough time at college and didn't work very hard in my A levels at all (only got ABBB), and I also needed to stay in Birmingham for family reasons.

Is someone who got a 2:1 from Oxford or Cambridge better than me?! Definitely not. But it completely depends on the individual, which is why employers conduct interviews instead of just hiring on the basis of the CV alone.

I beg to differ.

I think a 2.1 from Oxbridge is better
Original post by Eboracum
This is a difficult debate.

Aston is a decent university. I'd say top 30 1994 group material, and a First Class degree from there will hold you in good stead. But I'd probably take a 2:1 from Oxbridge over it, just purely on a personal gut instinct.

But if we are to talk about Top 10ish Russell Group universities, such as Durham, Bristol, York, Nottingham etc, I'd rather a First from there than a 2:1 from Oxbridge as to go to one of them and get a First is really hard (although not quite as hard as Oxford) and I just feel you'd stand out more.

Tough one really, but that is my balanced answer.

NO an Oxbridge 2.1 is still better than all of the above
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
I think any RG uni would stick you on a 'par'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? There are a lot of duffers in the RG you know, maybe you attend one of them ?

a 1st from Bham, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Queen Mary, QUB, Cardiff, Glasgow, Nottingham, Southampton, York = a 2.1 from Oxbridge ?

LOL I don't think so.
Reply 223
Original post by Zenomorph
What? There are a lot of duffers in the RG you know, maybe you attend one of them ?

a 1st from Bham, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Queen Mary, QUB, Cardiff, Glasgow, Nottingham, Southampton, York = a 2.1 from Oxbridge ?

LOL I don't think so.

I'd still take a 1st from UCL, LSE, King's or Durham over a 2.1 at Oxbridge though.
Some of the candidates rejected from Oxbridge have that though. Candidates at the universities you talked about have those grades. My brother has all the A's and A*s and was rejected from Oxford. That's the key for me. There will be people dotted around the top 20/30 universities in the UK that have the same grades as Oxbridge candidates.

A First at Manchester is a very good degree. I'd argue that is better than a 2:1 from Oxford, and demonstrates a stronger academic standard. Manchester is just as good as Bristol or Warwick.

Err.. NO

LOL I don't think so.

There isn't though is there. You are talking roughly the same standard of teaching, and a university slightly more prestigious. So you can't hardly say there is a lot of difference? For example many of my lectures at one of those universities you listed are Oxbridge/London educated themselves so they are pretty much teaching you what they were taught themselves.

I sense a hint of snobbery in your tone. Either you are at Oxbridge/London and you are horribly misguided as to believing your degree guarantees you a job, or you failed to get in and are upset at the other universities because you feel you are too good for them.

NO an Oxbridge 2.1 is still better than all of the above

No it isn't. A First from a top university is better than a 2:1 from Oxbridge. It is probably a tad harder to get, and a First Class honours degree really makes you stand out.

Err.. NO

Yes actually. Which university do you attend?
Reply 226
Original post by Slumpy
Not really tbh. But it's not hugely relevant - my main point is asking for grounds to believe imperial maths when, from personal experience, it isn't all that.

And FWIW, I would be surprised if most imperial lecturers didn't think the Cam course was good. Because it is. Almost objectively.

Yeah, I was actually talking about people who do know about their subject matter. But only essentially to back up my own opinion from experience, to someone who doesn't seem to have any. I'd happily chat about the actual merits, but the problem with that is that it's self evident to anybody who's seen enough.

Unrelated to this, but the fact that a lot of Warwick and Imperial academics are ex-Oxbridge tells its own story.

And if you've still missed it, my point is that imperial maths isn't that good. I've seen a lot of their past papers, and Oxbridge is definitely harder, and I have fair reason to believe Warwick is too. That's about it.

Edit; if you're not being facetious, and do know people who think 1+1=3, I suggest you meet new people.

Highly pretentious? No. If untrue, it might be arrogant. As it is, it's essentially true. Theoretical physics grads from Cam have ended up on the hardest maths courses going, relatively regularly for my mind. Also, from what I recall, the only UK physics grads considered worth anything in Europe are oxbridge, imperial, and maybe a couple others (as someone not interested in doing physics past school, I didn't check). So clearly Cam is considered up there.

Cracking. Immediately deciding you're the final word on 'real uni experiences', feeling you know what's needed for banking (how many bankers do you know personally, by the way?), and comparing the social lives of two universities when you've only been to one of them. Fantastic.

Original post by Drederick Tatum
Academically, the answer is Oxbridge, by a mile. I found that my first year papers for Cambridge maths were more difficult than masters level papers at KCL, for example.

Unfortunately, though, many employers use automated application systems and processes that don't distinguish between universities. The problem comes when they ask for a 2:1 and above in a subject, and you have a 2:2 from Oxbridge. You're immediately excluded, when people with less ability are immediately included.

How do you define good? If hard = good then, despite some readers will have a go at me for constantly bringing this up, this HK maths paper should mean HK's students are among the world's best, thought still some way behind mainland China, wth the impossibly hard Gaokao, where even Oxbridge undergrads struggle with it:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52489790/al-pure-2011

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peterfoster/10010196/China_exam_season_questions_to_make_you_quail/
There isn't though is there. You are talking roughly the same standard of teaching, and a university slightly more prestigious. So you can't hardly say there is a lot of difference? For example many of my lectures at one of those universities you listed are Oxbridge/London educated themselves so they are pretty much teaching you what they were taught themselves.

I sense a hint of snobbery in your tone. Either you are at Oxbridge/London and you are horribly misguided as to believing your degree guarantees you a job, or you failed to get in and are upset at the other universities because you feel you are too good for them.

No it isn't. A First from a top university is better than a 2:1 from Oxbridge. It is probably a tad harder to get, and a First Class honours degree really makes you stand out.

Definitely not.

I refer to my experience as an undergraduate maths student at Cambridge, and later as a class tutor at KCL, Bristol and Bath in the following (note that these are all considered strong universities and they are - but just not near the standard of the Cambridge undergraduate course).

Firstly, Cambridge is much more prestigious than all other British universities apart from Oxford. This is evidenced by the public perception of these universities. In some cases, the reputation of the university combined with a particular subject (Cambridge Maths, Oxford PPE) skews this in Oxbridge's favour even more.

Secondly, the standard of teaching is higher, much higher. This is for many reasons:

Lecturers aren't as contrained to syllabuses as in other universities

The best scholars in their subjects tend to teach at Oxbridge

The exam system rewards depth of knowledge in a subject much more than breadth - for example, a lot of other universities have a core set of courses you need to pass in order to pass the whole year / course. Cambridge allows for the students to be very good at one area and very bad at another.

Students at other universities (KCL particularly, in my experience) appear to complain about the difficulty of courses if it isn't uniform year to year. This forces the difficulty of the exams down.

It's not snobbery when someone asserts this, and I'm sure that many Oxbridge graduates are as aware of the difficulties of getting a job as anyone else is.

A first from most top universities is not better than a 2:1 from Oxbridge, under most reasonable interpretations of the word 'better'. In particular, it is definitely not 'a tad harder'. I'm not just saying this: compare 3rd year exam maths exam papers at Cambridge to 3rd year maths exam papers at Bristol, Bath and KCL, for example.
Original post by dbkey
How do you define good? If hard = good then, despite some readers will have a go at me for constantly bringing this up, this HK maths paper should mean HK's students are among the world's best, thought still some way behind mainland China, wth the impossibly hard Gaokao, where even Oxbridge undergrads struggle with it:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52489790/al-pure-2011

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peterfoster/10010196/China_exam_season_questions_to_make_you_quail/

It's not just the difficulty of the papers that makes a difference, it's the style. Bath, Bristol, KCL maths papers have a very formulaic way of examining students (usually questions are of the form: recall a definition, do some bookwork, and then prove a trivial consequence of a lectured theorem).

Final year Cambridge maths exams are, in contrast, great:

Each paper contains questions from all subjects

You have massive choice in the questions you can attempt - there are far too many to complete even half of them.

There is no minimum standard to be achieved in any one subject - you could have attended a course diligently but not answer one question on it.

The marking scheme rewards depth of answers - you can't pick up many marks by answering the trivial parts of lots of questions.

The structure of the questions is a bookwork part followed by a 'problem' element, which requires real thought, and is rewarding, to complete.

Time pressure is not such an issue in Cambridge exams. I've invigilated an exam at Bath where people struggle to regurgitate stuff onto the paper quickly enough. The exams allow you time to think.

Although this is all my experience of one particular course / exam, I'm inclined to think it applies somewhat to other subjects at Oxbridge because of discussion with people that study those subjects.

Although this is all my experience of one particular course / exam, I'm inclined to think it applies somewhat to other subjects at Oxbridge because of discussion with people that study those subjects.

I totally agree.
I just looked up the final year course outline for Politics and IR at Aston. It's stuff that is covered within the first few terms at Oxford. The intensity of examination doesn't compare either.

Nonsense and that's a very very big claim to make for 'those' universities, which I presume is the RG2, the onus is on you to prove that is the case. Otherwise it is very a given that Oxbridge is a league above the Bhams and the Sheffields of the world

Why would I be jealous of some lousy RG2 uni when I graduated from one of the London 3 ?

More nonsense a 1st from Bham is many times easier than a 2.1 from Oxbridge
Definitely not.

[*]Lecturers aren't as contrained to syllabuses as in other universities

I agree wholeheartedly because though I have never studied at Oxbridge - one of my biggest criticisms as a mature student is precisely that most unis simply follow a cookie-cutter type syllabus that deprives the student of the benefit of true scholarship which involves in depth inquiry rather than a broad sweep of cursory factiods.
I agree wholeheartedly because though I have never studied at Oxbridge - one of my biggest criticisms as a mature student is precisely that most unis simply follow a cookie-cutter type syllabus that deprives the student of the benefit of true scholarship which involves in depth inquiry rather than a broad sweep of cursory factiods.

It's quite ironic that you're criticising some universities for 'cookie-cutter' courses when you have a very indistinguishing, 'cookie-cutter' view of non-Oxbridge universities and the content and assessment of their courses.
Original post by Tuerin
It's quite ironic that you're criticising some universities for 'cookie-cutter' courses when you have a very indistinguishing, 'cookie-cutter' view of non-Oxbridge universities and the content and assessment of their courses.

Call it what you like but a I'd take a 2.1 from OXb rather than a 1st from any RG2 rubbish.
Call it what you like but a I'd take a 2.1 from OXb rather than a 1st from any RG2 rubbish.

Obvious troll but what is RG2?
Original post by Tuerin
Obvious troll but what is RG2?

You are a self professed intellectual - use your imagination or you name a non OXbridge RG uni and I'll tell you if it is RG1 or 2
You are a self professed intellectual - use your imagination or you name a non OXbridge RG uni and I'll tell you if it is RG1 or 2

I don't recall professing myself to be an intellectual. Why don't you define your own created terminology?
Original post by Tuerin
I don't recall professing myself to be an intellectual. Why don't you define your own created terminology?

Gosh you must have difficulty in basic comprehension - I suspect you attend an RG2 uni. LOL

You name a non OXbridge RG uni and I'll tell you if it is RG1 or 2
(edited 11 years ago)
Tbh, regardless of where you go to uni I don't think it matters. I think my 2:1 from Hallam (currently studying for a PhD) would've looked just the same to prospective employers than a 2:1 from Oxford or Cambridge.

All exams are externally regulated, so they are all standardised. It's just as difficult to achieve a 2:1 at Oxbridge as it is at Hallam or anywhere else. Just because Oxbridge students happened to get better A level results says nothing - that was then and this is now.
Original post by hallamrulez
All exams are externally regulated, so they are all standardised. It's just as difficult to achieve a 2:1 at Oxbridge as it is at Hallam or anywhere else.
Having external examiners doesn't mean they are all of equal difficulty.

In fact it was the external examiner who said this in their comments on one Oxford course: "The first point I must make is that the academic standard of the examinations is very high. There is no doubt in my mind that candidates appearing for examination are rigorously tested and the awards they receive can be thoroughly relied on. From my experience, I would be confident in saying that the standards are at the top end of the national scale."
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending