The Student Room Group

Aberystwyth or Liverpool?

Hi

I've got a place on Aberystwyth's MSc Archive Administration course and on Liverpool's MA Archives and Records Management course for 2013 entry and I cannot decide which one to go to. Has anyone taken either of these courses and, if so, what are they like? Or, more generally, what are the universities like? In particular, I wonder what the difference is between the MSc and the MA, whether the location of the Information Studies department in Aber would be an issue, whether the location of Aber itself would be an issue (it seems so isolated), and what university life is like in Liverpool?

I am also thinking about accommodation and about funding. Is there anything particular I should know about accommodation in either place, like has one got hardly any or is dreadfully expensive? Regarding funding, I applied to the AHRC but was unsuccessful, am applying for the National Archives bursary, and am looking into a Career Development Loan - I don't suppose anyone knows of any other source I have not come across?

Thank for any advice.
Reply 1
My friend does physics in Aberystwyth. He absolutely loves it, and it's relatively cheap up there. I don't know much however he does complain that it is isolated up there.
The two uni's are the complete opposite! you need to decide what you want from a university on a whole.
Good luck with your decision!
Reply 2
Original post by siana17
Hi

I've got a place on Aberystwyth's MSc Archive Administration course and on Liverpool's MA Archives and Records Management course for 2013 entry and I cannot decide which one to go to. Has anyone taken either of these courses and, if so, what are they like? Or, more generally, what are the universities like? In particular, I wonder what the difference is between the MSc and the MA, whether the location of the Information Studies department in Aber would be an issue, whether the location of Aber itself would be an issue (it seems so isolated), and what university life is like in Liverpool?

I am also thinking about accommodation and about funding. Is there anything particular I should know about accommodation in either place, like has one got hardly any or is dreadfully expensive? Regarding funding, I applied to the AHRC but was unsuccessful, am applying for the National Archives bursary, and am looking into a Career Development Loan - I don't suppose anyone knows of any other source I have not come across?

Thank for any advice.

Hi, I'm sorry I don't know anything about the courses at all but I am at uni in Liverpool. I am an undergraduate so my uni experience may be very different to yours. But Liverpool is a great city with lots to do and a great night life. So if you like going out, Liverpool is a great city to be in. There are on campus and off campus halls. I'm not sure what the prices are like now cos I live in a student house (I'm in my second year) and student housing is quite cheap. There are lots of options for student housing ranging from £50-80 ish a week and more for private halls which can go up to £120 a week.
Reply 3
Original post by reedA93
My friend does physics in Aberystwyth. He absolutely loves it, and it's relatively cheap up there. I don't know much however he does complain that it is isolated up there.
The two uni's are the complete opposite! you need to decide what you want from a university on a whole.
Good luck with your decision!

For what it's worth, I know someone at Aber and he lso loves it
Original post by siana17
Hi

Thank for any advice.

I agree with reedA93 that it depends what sort of university experience you are looking for.

I am going to Aberystwyth this September to do the Archive Admin course. My partner studied in Aber when I was in Cardiff Uni so I already know that I love the place and, even though it is a bit isolated, it will be lovely being by the sea and not having too many distractions from what promises to be quite an intensive course. Usually I love being in the city so Aber must be something special :smile:

Liverpool will obviously have a much bigger social scene but there is still plenty to do in Aber. I have applied for postgraduate halls on the main campus which is a 20 minute walk from the Llanbadarn campus where it looks like most of the classes will be held, there is also a bus stop near by.

Course wise, I don't know what the difference is between the MA and MSc but I believe some of the Liverpool modules are optional whereas in Aber everything is core - this might have a bearing if there is anything specific you want to focus on (or avoid lol!). For instance, you will need Latin for Aber but I think you only need Latin for Liverpool if you decide to take the Medieval Palaeography option.

Both department websites detail the modules on offer if you haven't already had a look. I think the Liverpool tuition fees are higher than Aber by a few hundred pounds (though I might be wrong on this one!). Not sure how the accommodation compares but you'll certainly get more choice for your money in the city. I don't know of any other funding sources other than those you have mentioned.

Sorry if this is a bit long, I hope it helps. Look forward to meeting you if you decide on Aber :smile:
Reply 5
liverpool by far!!

best city ever!! :lfc::heart:
Reply 6
I have the same issue. I have got an offer from City University but still waiting on Liverpool and Lancaster...I am an international student applying for Project Mgt MSc...any advice on which one to choose?
Reply 7
Original post by siana17
Hi

Thank for any advice.

They are completely different cities so I will only advice you academically. I imagine you will probably be based at the Sydney Jones Library at Liverpool. The library itself is modern and, judging from when I used the special collections there, the staff are competent and friendly.

I have never used Aberystwyth's libraries. However, a deal breaker for me would be whether you get to train in the National Library of Wales. If you do then pick Aberystwyth; it is invaluable experience that few people will have.
*snip*
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending