The Student Room Group

Advice regarding GCSE resits

I am considering applying for medicine; however, my GCSEs are quite poor and I was wondering which medical schools accept GCSE resits outside of years 10 and 11 (I would be sitting these GCSEs in what is hypothetically years 14 and 15, having already completed three A Levels and an AS)? My resits would be maths (initially got a C) and triple science, as I did a single-award foundation science GCSE, which covered all three sciences at a very basic level (I got a B, but I was unaware initially that it was possible to get above a C, so I'm a little confused about that). I am not sure whether or not sitting triple science GCSEs would actually count as a resit because I did not do these during my GCSE years.

So basically: which medical schools accept GCSE resits outside of years 10 and 11?

Thank you!
Reply 1
Anyone? I'd really appreciate a response!
Reply 2
Many medical schools do not place a large emphasis on GCSEs. You're better off focusing on your AS and A levels rather than resitting GCSEs.

See here for more info: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Vulpes
Many medical schools do not place a large emphasis on GCSEs. You're better off focusing on your AS and A levels rather than resitting GCSEs.

See here for more info: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

:smile:

Thank you Vulpes! My poor results are in the core subjects though, and most medical schools require at least a B in maths, B in English, and BB in double/additional science. I have a C in maths, an A* in English, and a B in single science.
Reply 4
Original post by la95
Thank you Vulpes! My poor results are in the core subjects though, and most medical schools require at least a B in maths, B in English, and BB in double/additional science. I have a C in maths, an A* in English, and a B in single science.

Are you intending on taking AS level maths? Quite a few medical schools won't look at GCSE results if you have achieved a higher qualification in the same subject. (You will have to email them to confirm though.)
Reply 5
Original post by Vulpes
Are you intending on taking AS level maths? Quite a few medical schools won't look at GCSE results if you have achieved a higher qualification in the same subject. (You will have to email them to confirm though.)

If I do decide to do more A Levels, then yes, I will probably take maths to at least AS Level for that very reason. Do you happen to know which medical schools accept AS Levels Maths in lieu of GCSE Maths? Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by la95
If I do decide to do more A Levels, then yes, I will probably take maths to at least AS Level for that very reason. Do you happen to know which medical schools accept AS Levels Maths in lieu of GCSE Maths? Thank you!

Any subject you've taken at a higher level will count instead of the GCSE. The GCSE requirement is there to make sure people have the basic levels required for university study. If you have Maths at a C at AS and OK grades in one or more sciences at AS or above, no-one will care about your GCSEs (except where they use the overall number of A*s etc to filter out applicants).

Edit: I misread, you got a C in GCSE Maths. If there are med schools that accept that then you'll be fine.
Reply 7
Original post by Ronove
Any subject you've taken at a higher level will count instead of the GCSE. The GCSE requirement is there to make sure people have the basic levels required for university study. If you have Maths at a C at AS and OK grades in one or more sciences at AS or above, no-one will care about your GCSEs (except where they use the overall number of A*s etc to filter out applicants).

Edit: I misread, you got a C in GCSE Maths. If there are med schools that accept that then you'll be fine.

Thank you! I hope you're right! Are you sure that's the case? Medical schools seem to specify GCSE Double/Additional Science requirements alongside A Level Chemistry/Biology requirements.
Reply 8
Original post by la95
Thank you! I hope you're right! Are you sure that's the case? Medical schools seem to specify GCSE Double/Additional Science requirements alongside A Level Chemistry/Biology requirements.

I didn't realise it was common to require certain grades in Sciences at GCSE to be honest. You'll have to wait for someone else to comment or email universities. It doesn't make sense to me that anywhere would require things at GCSE that are negated by AS or A-level.
Reply 9
Original post by Ronove
I didn't realise it was common to require certain grades in Sciences at GCSE to be honest. You'll have to wait for someone else to comment or email universities. It doesn't make sense to me that anywhere would require things at GCSE that are negated by AS or A-level.

I don't understand this either. I assumed that it was just to whittle down the number of applicants.
As far as I am aware, all unis have minimum requirements for GCSE English and Maths, irrespective of whether you took these at a higher level or not, it's usually grade C or B depending on the uni. Some unis do also include science at GCSE as well as mandatory - check with the unis you are interested in.

I know this because despite having two degrees, I had to go back and resit my GCSE science in order to apply for medicine.
Reply 11
Original post by she-theFaceICan'tForget
As far as I am aware, all unis have minimum requirements for GCSE English and Maths, irrespective of whether you took these at a higher level or not, it's usually grade C or B depending on the uni. Some unis do also include science at GCSE as well as mandatory - check with the unis you are interested in.

I know this because despite having two degrees, I had to go back and resit my GCSE science in order to apply for medicine.

Thank you for the response. :smile: If you don't mind me asking, which medical schools did not mind the fact that you retook your science GCSE?
Original post by la95
Thank you for the response. :smile: If you don't mind me asking, which medical schools did not mind the fact that you retook your science GCSE?

Sorry, to clarify, I didn't retake, I never took it in the first place - I was schooled outside of the UK at a British School, they didn't impose the mandatory subjects rule as they would have if I had been in the UK.
Reply 13
Original post by she-theFaceICan'tForget
Sorry, to clarify, I didn't retake, I never took it in the first place - I was schooled outside of the UK at a British School, they didn't impose the mandatory subjects rule as they would have if I had been in the UK.

I see; thank you for the response! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending