The Student Room Group

GCSE exams in May/June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by ThatPerson
Do you mind giving me a link to the spec? Thanks.

for the edexcel one just look at this :
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/igcse09/maths/mathsc/Pages/default.aspx

i think the grade boundaries are fairly high but overall it isnt bad!

ryan
Original post by BuddingAchiever
Didn't know aqa did Igcse ?! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they've called themselves IAQA just for these papers...there aren't any ISAs, but two exams per science, and no one actually knows what's going to be in them. Such fun. Aha :smile:
Reply 282
Is there anyone that hasn't started revising properly besides me?
I had planned to start this week properly but everytime I sit down I get bored and either sleep or watch crappy youtube videos! Nothing seems to be motivating me :frown: Not even the fact that I want GOOD grades! I just feel so tired from all the crappy coursework I had to do for nearly all my subjects that are worth 60%!
So glad I did my maths GCSE last year! Thats atleast one out the way! But besides that I think I am failing :frown:
I regret taking the subjects I choose for GCSE! They all suck besides History :frown:
Original post by ryanb97
OCR doesnt do it

they do additional maths which is relatively easy

im on edexcel..self-teaching though (although since i had already done C1,C2 i nknew majority of it)

ryan

I saw Edexcel's spec and thought that it was a lot harder than AQA for Further Maths,which is the course I'm doing and just for people on the thread who were confused its Further Maths IGCSE and the old Additional Maths Course has finished I think.It seems ridiculous that they aren't letting people do Maths AS because they haven't got FM GCSE or Further Maths AS, when the vast majority of schools don't offer it.
Reply 284
I have:
1 English (Anthology)
2 Latin ( Prose and Verse Literature)
B1
C1
P1
RE (Social Paper)
2 History (Unit 2+3)
2 French (Reading And Listening)
1 PE (Theory Paper)
1 Statistics Paper
And P2 and ICT Unit 1 retakes...ffs

That's a grand total of 15 exams, blurgh.

I revise in stages of revisiting knowledge of the content, which can involve mindmaps, worksheets, writing out notes, posters, etc. then I repeat those but from my own knowledge i.e. using no material but my brain. Then I complete basically every single past past paper, if I feel I'm weaker in a topic; I re-revise it using the above stages mentioned. Once I'm up to the exam day, I perfect writing techniques, timing etc.
this is in theory anyway...in practise...quite different, I rarely do this to that extent some subjects don't need it, others may come more naturally to you or *cough* procrastination, but when I do do that it's effective as an iterative approach to things *shrugs*
It's pretty subjective depending on the subject but can moulded to suit you I guess...i.e. I don't know how effective it would be for Textiles or something like that
But for subjects like Maths it's literally practise makes perfect and watching MathsWatch is really good too.
Another tip is to find out what type of learner you are, i.e. visual, audio etc, there's no point in recording and listening to notes if you're a visual learner you won't absorb half as much information. There are online tests that can tell you which category you fall into.

I hope that helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmmm... For revision, I haven't started properly at all :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
:dontknow:

May
13th - French Listening and Reading
14th - HY1
15th - Welsh Unit 1
17th - C2
21st - RE Unit 3/Business Studies
23rd - English Literature Unit 2
24th - C3

June
5th - RE Unit 4
10th - Biology Unit 2/S1
11th - Welsh Unit 2
12th - Geography Unit 2
13th - C4 / Chemistry Unit 2
18th - Physics Unit 2
24th - Statistics Unit 1

C2 C3 C4 S1 and HY1 are A Level exams :frown:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:dontknow:

May
13th - French Listening and Reading
14th - HY1
15th - Welsh Unit 1
17th - C2
21st - RE Unit 3/Business Studies
23rd - English Literature Unit 2
24th - C3

June
5th - RE Unit 4
10th - Biology Unit 2/S1
11th - Welsh Unit 2
12th - Geography Unit 2
13th - C4 / Chemistry Unit 2
18th - Physics Unit 2
24th - Statistics Unit 1

C2 C3 C4 S1 and HY1 are A Level exams :frown:

Have you seriously learnt all of C3 and C4, ive done all of C1 and most of C2 and i can do the chain, product and quotient rule for C3 and intergration by substitution and parts for C4 but nothing else. If you have then i bid you good luck. Wow year 11 and doing a level exams. Did you self teach yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by darkdrifter10
Have you seriously learnt all of C3 and C4, ive done all of C1 ans most of C2 and i can do the chain, product and quotient rule for C3 and intergration by substitution and parts for C4 but nothing else. If you have then i bid you good luck. Wow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I covered it all a while ago, but need exam practise!
I want an A*:frown:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah, I covered it all a while ago, but need exam practise!
I want an A*:frown:

Lol, your lucky, but i thought that one of Michael Gove's 'brilliant' policies was that if someone took an a level module in year 11, they couldnt take it along with them into year 12

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, your lucky, but i thought that one of Michael Gove's 'brilliant' policies was that if someone took an a level module in year 11, they couldnt take it along with them into year 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm finishing the A2 this year, so I'll have my qualification anyway
Reply 291

Posted from TSR Mobile

what ... where did you hear this then???

ryan
May 2013:

Edexcel RE (short course)
AQA French Listening & Reading
AQA Biology unit 3
AQA Chemistry unit 3
AQA Physics unit 3
OCR English literature x 3

June 2013:

AQA Biology unit 1 (retake)
Edexcel Maths x 2
AQA Geography B unit 2 (retake)
AQA Geography B unit 3

14 exams in total!!!
May 2013:

8th French Listening IGCSE edexcel
9th Spanish Listening IGCSE edexcel
10th Maths IGCSE 3H edexcel
13th Ethic 1,2 OCR
14th French Reading and Writing IGCSE edexcel
14th Biology AQA
17th Spanish Reading and Writing edexcel (my birthday)
20th English Language IGCSE edexcel
20th Chemistry AQA
21st Maths IGCSE 4H edexcel
21st English Literature IGCSE edexcel

June 2013:

14th D.T product design AQA
14th Philosophy 1,2 OCR
19th History edexcel USA
Original post by ryanb97
what ... where did you hear this then???

ryan

nooooo this can't be happening !! I don't see how this will benefit us in any way.... or even how this stupid policy will make the grades any better !
Reply 295
Original post by BuddingAchiever
nooooo this can't be happening !! I don't see how this will benefit us in any way.... or even how this stupid policy will make the grades any better !

yh i know... my last 2 years doing A level modules...wasted! lol

tbh i aint really botherd,, i think a unit admission tutor would notice... they might think im sort of smart.. hopefully

what modules are you doing early.... or whole Alevels/Aslevels

ryan
Original post by ryanb97
yh i know... my last 2 years doing A level modules...wasted! lol

tbh i aint really botherd,, i think a unit admission tutor would notice... they might think im sort of smart.. hopefully

what modules are you doing early.... or whole Alevels/Aslevels

ryan

I wouldnt worry about it, i dont think it will affect you. I think its only for specific subjects which require extensive completion of many modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 297
I have:

•Maths x2
•English Language
•English Literature x2
•Biology Unit 1 (retake)
•Biology Unit 2
•Biology Unit 3
•Chemistry Unit 2
•Chemistry Unit 3
•Physics Unit 2
•Physics Unit 3
•French x2
•History x2
•Drama
•RE

WOO 18 EXAMS YES LOVE MY LIFE TOTALLY NOT STRESSED AT ALL : (

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 298
If its AQA science B1/2 or Biology u r stressin over then teacher at school gave us some useful revision test booklets he created. I think thety are now on kindle if any use- REVISION Questions and answers-for B1/B2/B3.
I think the 3 hours of history exams will kill me most :wink: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest