The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1
Hello there! I haven't heard a bad thing about chalmers apart from that Unite accommodation is expensive and basically is a rip off
despite that, I applied for it as a second choice! the reason being that it is en suite (picky i know) and it's not far from the centre at all! :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Thank-you! That helps! I started another thread also but I didn't get such positive information :frown: :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2312178
Reply 3
Original post by Coralrose
Has anyone had any experience of what it's like there or applied there? I have read REALLY bad things about unite accommodation but I don't know if this bad reputation applies to the Edinburgh unite accommodations. If anyone could give me feedback that would be fab!

Omg!!! I'm thinking about applying there..... I'm actually choosing between portsburgh and chalmers... I heard bad things as well. But I want bathroom en-suit...... I dunt want to share bathrooms Ahhahahaha. Which program did u apply tho?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Yeah I booked a room with an ensuite, haha I didn't want to share either! Unite phoned me yesterday asking me what I was doing about signing the contract and I then thought to myself I really don't want to be trapped in this legal bind when I've heard such bad things about it so my parents are in the process of cancelling my booking. I'm going to have to just find a room in a student flat to rent. I really hope whatever you decide to do works out, it might have been brilliant but I was just to scared to take the risk. I am doing music business at Ed college and then going into uni second year - 2014. It was that or uni this year to do a popular music course. What about you? x
Reply 5
Original post by Coralrose
Yeah I booked a room with an ensuite, haha I didn't want to share either! Unite phoned me yesterday asking me what I was doing about signing the contract and I then thought to myself I really don't want to be trapped in this legal bind when I've heard such bad things about it so my parents are in the process of cancelling my booking. I'm going to have to just find a room in a student flat to rent. I really hope whatever you decide to do works out, it might have been brilliant but I was just to scared to take the risk. I am doing music business at Ed college and then going into uni second year - 2014. It was that or uni this year to do a popular music course. What about you? x

But I noticed that blackfairs also has bathroom ensuite. I guess I will probably choose blackfairs as my first choice and portsburgh or chalmers as second and third.... I'm a fresher! Hahaha.goin to Ed for my first year. I'm quite upset about the fact tht u will live wif random people from other unis if u go unite accommodation. I want to stay wif Ed people!!! Hahahaha. I applied for internation business=] aiiii. Still struggling =[ ohh btw, is Scotland reali tht cold?
Reply 6
I was the same about wanting an en-suite, so I've applied for Beaverbank, IQ Fountainbridge and Portsburgh Court. I was wary about applying for the latter after hearing some bad things about UNITE accommodation, but it looks nice, so...I just went for it ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi :smile:, I've just accepted my offer at Edinburgh so i am only just starting to look into finding somewhere to live, anyone know which website to believe with the prices, on the Edinburgh uni website the prices (especially for UNITE) are much cheaper than when you actually go on their website?? Anyone know anything?????
Original post by luluabc123
Hi :smile:, I've just accepted my offer at Edinburgh so i am only just starting to look into finding somewhere to live, anyone know which website to believe with the prices, on the Edinburgh uni website the prices (especially for UNITE) are much cheaper than when you actually go on their website?? Anyone know anything?????

Hi luluabc123,

My name is Frankie, I work for UNITE - I noticed your post and thought a response might be helpful.

The University of Edinburgh have an allocation of rooms in Portsburgh Court, Chalmers Street and McDonald Road.

The University offer these rooms to their first year students and also offer 38 week tenancies in some of these rooms versus the 43 week tenancy which we offer directly.

This accounts for a price difference between booking via Edinburgh University as opposed to those made directly through UNITE.

Only first year students can book directly through the University and studio rooms can only be booked directly with UNITE.

I hope this helps,

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with

Thanks,
Frankie
Reply 9
Just noticed this thread. I've put Chalmers Street as my third choice via the university. I visited Chalmers before putting it down on my application as it's super modern, clean, has an ensuite and it one of the closest to the main university campus and nightlife. The vast majority of residents are usually international but I'm all for mingling :smile:. Hope this helps!
I've moved the recent posts out of this thread as it has served its purpose. If you want to discuss it or accommodation further please do so in the sticky accommodation thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2124653