The Student Room Group

Major procrastination problem

Argh, I have my A2 exams coming up in June and I'm just struggling to revise. I get so distracted. I've wasted pretty much all day online. How can I stop procrastinating!? It's so bad! :'(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ummm
Argh, I have my A2 exams coming up in June and I'm just struggling to revise. I get so distracted. I've wasted pretty much all day online. How can I stop procrastinating!? It's so bad! :'(

Procrastination is usually a result of anxiety so you put off what you need to do. Maybe your unsure what you need to do. The best thing to do is write a plan of what to cover and how your going to cover it. I know what you mean. It helps to surround yourself with things that will motivate you, so anything you look at or anyone who makes you feel lazy avoid. Create a A grade environment.
Reply 2
Step 1. Ask yourself: Do I want to pass my A Levels? Why?
2. Will staying here doing nothing help me reach this goal?
3. If not then why am I here?
4. Get off the Internet and go do some work. Just 5, 10 minutes, then see how you feel :smile:
5. Instead of procrastinating which usually involves doing nothing and feeling bad about it, schedule breaks and make sure you're doing stuff you enjoy. An hour's revision=an episode of How I Met Your Mother maybe? :P
Setting up a revision timetable helps with this, but you have to stick to it!
6. If you're worried you're not going to do well and procrastinating due to perfectionism then relax, it doesn't matter that much, you can only do your best :smile:

Try GoogleChrome StayFocusd app too, keeps an eye on how long you spend crasting :smile:
know dem feels
:hugs:
Reply 3
ughhh me too, i have sat for the last two hours doodling! #help :s-smilie:
Reply 4
i have major anxiety, hence why I do tend to procrasinate alot.
Reply 5
Original post by Jackabc
Procrastination is usually a result of anxiety so you put off what you need to do. Maybe your unsure what you need to do. The best thing to do is write a plan of what to cover and how your going to cover it. I know what you mean. It helps to surround yourself with things that will motivate you, so anything you look at or anyone who makes you feel lazy avoid. Create a A grade environment.

Thanks for the reply. I agree. I feel nervous and scared about how much I have to do, and so I just keep putting it off and trying to forget about it. I'm going to start right now. Should I just block websites (e.g twitter, tsr) until like 9pm? Then once it reaches 9pm I'll let myself watch tv, go online, relax etc. I think I'm just gunna have to cut it out completely during the day, because once I start, I can't stop. :frown:

Thanks for the tips - they're really good!
Reply 6
Original post by ummm
Thanks for the reply. I agree. I feel nervous and scared about how much I have to do, and so I just keep putting it off and trying to forget about it. I'm going to start right now. Should I just block websites (e.g twitter, tsr) until like 9pm? Then once it reaches 9pm I'll let myself watch tv, go online, relax etc. I think I'm just gunna have to cut it out completely during the day, because once I start, I can't stop. :frown:

Thanks for the tips - they're really good!

Yeah good idea. Make sure you unplug all distractions so it becomes a conscious choice if you decide to distract yourself. Then plan your breaks and write down what your allowed to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Jackabc
Yeah good idea. Make sure you unplug all distractions so it becomes a conscious choice if you decide to distract yourself. Then plan your breaks and write down what your allowed to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, I'm gunna try this out tomorrow. Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Riku
2. Will staying here doing nothing help me reach this goal?
3. If not then why am I here?
4. Get off the Internet and go do some work. Just 5, 10 minutes, then see how you feel :smile:
5. Instead of procrastinating which usually involves doing nothing and feeling bad about it, schedule breaks and make sure you're doing stuff you enjoy. An hour's revision=an episode of How I Met Your Mother maybe? :P
Setting up a revision timetable helps with this, but you have to stick to it!
6. If you're worried you're not going to do well and procrastinating due to perfectionism then relax, it doesn't matter that much, you can only do your best :smile:

Try GoogleChrome StayFocusd app too, keeps an eye on how long you spend crasting :smile:
know dem feels

Thank you so much for the tips! I'm going to try them out tomorrow. I also downloaded the Stay Focused chrome app.. it looks really good! So during the day I'm just going to block all my time-wasting apps... :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ummm
Thank you so much for the tips! I'm going to try them out tomorrow. I also downloaded the Stay Focused chrome app.. it looks really good! So during the day I'm just going to block all my time-wasting apps... :smile:

It works really well, just remember not to extend your time! Worst comes to worst Nuke yourself off those apps, no access until the job's done. ;D
Welcome! Good luck :hugs:
Reply 10
I have some good strategies to avoid procrastination.

I'll post them later.
Reply 11
Original post by Riku

know dem feels

Followed these, and just downloaded StayFocusd, limiting myself to 45 minutes on FB, Twitter, TSR, game sites, YT and anything else like that I use, only keeping my emails and some things like iPlayer and 4oD unblocked for evening TV catch up sessions. This was what I had been looking for for ages before, but could only find paid things, or things on IOS.

I can't thank you enough.
Original post by ummm

Why did you wait so long before asking for help with this??? Oh, wait... :smile:

Seriously... make a revision plan, and only go online as a reward for sticking to it. Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by Pastaferian
Why did you wait so long before asking for help with this??? Oh, wait... :smile:

Seriously... make a revision plan, and only go online as a reward for sticking to it. Good luck!

Haha! Thanks for the help. I don't know why I struggle with this so much. I need to sort it out because it's just way out of control atm :frown:
Reply 15
There are two option for overcoming anxiety induced by impending tasks:

(_) Procrastinate
(_) Complete the task

Make a poster of this tick boxing and stick it on your procrastination devices
(edited 11 years ago)
You sound just like me. I hate myself for it but I continue to do it.
Original post by Raihan.
I purposely broke my laptop and phone so I don't have anything to procrastinate with. Risky but it works as long as you've got enough for repairs

It may have been easy to hand the batteries to someone who could be trusted not to return them - like a parent?
I dumped all of my possessions apart from my textbooks into a bonfire on my garden; I now procrastinate by staring blankly at the wall for hours on end.
Reply 19
Original post by Mullah.S
There are two option for overcoming anxiety induced by impending tasks:

(_) Procrastinate
(_) Complete the task

Make a poster of this tick boxing and stick it on your procrastination devices

I might do this actually. I'm gunna stick up a few inspirational quotes too

Original post by chelseafan
You sound just like me. I hate myself for it but I continue to do it.

We need to stop! We're just being weak. We just have to force ourselves to not procrastinate.

Original post by Pastaferian
It may have been easy to hand the batteries to someone who could be trusted not to return them - like a parent?

This is a good idea! I'll just take the battery out of my laptop until I'm on a break or am allowing myself to use it again. It's so easy otherwise to just open up the laptop and google something random.

Original post by marcus2001
I dumped all of my possessions apart from my textbooks into a bonfire on my garden; I now procrastinate by staring blankly at the wall for hours on end.

Hahahahahaha, sounds great. Best suggestion yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending