The Student Room Group

Spanish A Level outside of school?

I'm really passionate about languages and I've been studying Spanish for about 7 years now, the thing is that my school has set option blocks for our sixth form options and Spanish clashes with Biology (I want to do both). I submitted my application choosing biology over spanish because there's a high chance that I'll want to do biology at uni, but I still really want to do Spanish in case I change my mind. A friend who has the same problem with French and Chemistry clashing told me that it's possible to take up A levels outside of school too, which I've since researched and wanted to see if anybody on TSR has actually done this? Is it actually manageable alongside all of your other subjects? (I will be doing 4 AS levels, then 3 A2) Thankyou if anyone can answer!

by the way, before anyone suggests that I talk to a teacher about the clashing of the subjects, myself and a few others have already spoken to the head of sixth form about it and nothing can be done :frown:
I've not done it but next year I might self teach Spanish (I don't have any formal qualifications in it so I'd start with AS)

I think it's entirely possible, would you get any help with them?

What are your other a levels? I'm guessing biology, chem, maths and something else?
Reply 2
I did A level Spanish on 3 hours a week outside of my timetable... Although I couldn't take it as an option I spoke to the teacher who said she would do it off timetable and just submit me for the exams :smile: it was hard work and I only got a C in it but I'm definitely glad that I did it now :smile:
Reply 3
I do Spanish at AS and it really does require alot of work but if you're motivated enough I think you'd be able to manage. I'd recommend getting a tutor or if your school has a language assistant, maybe try and get a session with them for an hour each week, it really would help with speaking.
Reply 4
I'm doing my A2 in spanish at the moment, and last year really did require a lot of work because of the 'step up' from GCSE! I had to work by far the hardest for spanish out of all my AS levels, and pretty much all of my class were the same (even someone who lived had lived in spain for 5 years struggled!) But if you really want to do it and are prepared to put a lot of work in then it's really rewarding and worth doing! :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I've not done it but next year I might self teach Spanish (I don't have any formal qualifications in it so I'd start with AS)

I think it's entirely possible, would you get any help with them?

What are your other a levels? I'm guessing biology, chem, maths and something else?

I think I would have to self teach myself too, and yes I'm taking biology, chemistry, maths and geography

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bexl24
I did A level Spanish on 3 hours a week outside of my timetable... Although I couldn't take it as an option I spoke to the teacher who said she would do it off timetable and just submit me for the exams :smile: it was hard work and I only got a C in it but I'm definitely glad that I did it now :smile:

I never thought about asking to do it off timetable with one of the language teachers, thanks for the idea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by capturethecastle
I think I would have to self teach myself too, and yes I'm taking biology, chemistry, maths and geography

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would your school/college provide any help?

Chemistry will be a lot of work as will Spanish! However, the others aren't too bad (maths I know isn't, and Geography I've heard is easy).
Original post by Marthaaar
I'm doing my A2 in spanish at the moment, and last year really did require a lot of work because of the 'step up' from GCSE! I had to work by far the hardest for spanish out of all my AS levels, and pretty much all of my class were the same (even someone who lived had lived in spain for 5 years struggled!) But if you really want to do it and are prepared to put a lot of work in then it's really rewarding and worth doing! :smile:

Original post by smileyelzz
I do Spanish at AS and it really does require alot of work but if you're motivated enough I think you'd be able to manage. I'd recommend getting a tutor or if your school has a language assistant, maybe try and get a session with them for an hour each week, it really would help with speaking.

Thankyou for your answers! Just wondering, how much of a step up is it from GCSE, what did you find most challenging about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Would your school/college provide any help?

Chemistry will be a lot of work as will Spanish! However, the others aren't too bad (maths I know isn't, and Geography I've heard is easy).

I'll have to ask my teacher when I go back for the new term, but I know that most of the MFL department spend most time off timetable helping people doing GCSE polish/German/Italian (languages my school doesn't offer) so they are very occupied already.
Definitely bracing myself for chemistry :frown: and thanks for the reassurance with maths and geography!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'd go for it, studying a language outside school will definitely help you, and if you like it even better. Sure, it'll take up some of your time but see it as a useful time-taking hobby!
I'll have to ask my teacher when I go back for the new term, but I know that most of the MFL department spend most time off timetable helping people doing GCSE polish/German/Italian (languages my school doesn't offer) so they are very occupied already.
Definitely bracing myself for chemistry :frown: and thanks for the reassurance with maths and geography!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't take it officially can you not just brush up in your own time? I might because I'll be doing four other a levels and self teaching another!

Or how about Spanish for Geography? Although I'd stick with that and self teach Spanish :smile:

There is help available online and resources can be found in libraries and in college :smile:

Do you have friends who are doing Spanish?
Thankyou for your answers! Just wondering, how much of a step up is it from GCSE, what did you find most challenging about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It definitely is a massive step up and I got an A* at GCSE, I find it the hardest of all my subjects. The most challenging thing for me is purely the level that is needed to get a good grade. For example in the speaking exam you can't just learn answers before hand, it has to be somewhat natural. If you do decide to self teach it the most important thing though is to make sure your grammar is solid & just try to widen your vocab as much as possible.
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a really big step up, I managed to get an A in the AS, but that was after retaking one of the exams in January and a lot of work! But I have really loved it, so don't let the challenge put you off too much, and it's a really useful skill to have! For me I found the writing part most challenging, as its going from having to not really write at all in Spanish in the exam for GCSE to writing essays.
Reply 14
Why do you want to do the A-level in particular? You could just improve your Spanish in your spare time by personally selecting enjoyable learning materials.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending