The Student Room Group

What's better - a 2.1 from Oxbridge or a first from Aston?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hallamrulez
Tbh, regardless of where you go to uni I don't think it matters. I think my 2:1 from Hallam (currently studying for a PhD) would've looked just the same to prospective employers than a 2:1 from Oxford or Cambridge.

All exams are externally regulated, so they are all standardised. It's just as difficult to achieve a 2:1 at Oxbridge as it is at Hallam or anywhere else. Just because Oxbridge students happened to get better A level results says nothing - that was then and this is now.

No they are externally marked. They are absolutely not uniformly standardised.

The problem with your claim is that it just isn't borne out by reality. Oxbridge and RG graduates dominate in prestigious jobs and industries for a reason. We have a knowledge economy, they are the brightest in their generation, they demonstrate this with consistently excellent academic performance. The idea that the CCC students at Hallam catch up with their AAA counterparts, whilst doing easier work and less of it, is frankly ridiculous.

Show me a Hallam course and I guarantee you the Oxbridge equivalent is more academically demanding and carries a much higher workload.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 241
Original post by Noble.
LOL you've got to be trolling. As I already pointed out, the analysis covered in an Aston mathematics degree in the first 2 years doesn't even cover the first third of analysis in the first year of Oxford. So how exactly are they equivalent?

Dude, i believe u re not reading my posts... u re reading just a line that you want...

firstly, i am not trolling. I am just wasting my time with kids.

secondly, i will ask you a question. Who says, oxbridge is no1 uni? or if u like... who judges unis in order to know which is best? And what are the parameters in this ranking system???

Then, maybe in ur mind the degrees are not equivalent... HOWEVER, u cannot ignore the credit system! Right?? u can never say that someone from aston knows less than u!! right??? and u cannot prove it of course, after official papers say something else... it is ur opinion, I accept that... but just that! especially after he got a 1st and u got a 2:1!! :smile:

I 'll go a step forward if u like just for the sake of the conversation...in the uk degrees are 3 years... would you say that a degree from a european country that is 4 years worth more or someone from a 4-year uni knows more than u???

During my time at uni... in the uk... i had in total... 20-24 modules depending on my choices every year... and i was in science!! Law students at my uni had in total, 12!! we all had at graduation 360 credits right?? however, my neighboor in law did absolutely nothing all year long and was out partying day and night... cause he had all in all 4 essays per year and 4 exams where i had tutorials, laboratories, lectures, courseworks and classes...plus 8 ****ing exams in the end... see the difference now??

I also had friends at unis in greece...and imperial... my friend at imperial said after graduation that he expected uni to be more difficult and he didn't expect so high grades and such an easy 1st!! However at my uni, who desperately wanted to cllimb up some places in the rankings (remember, RAE-funding-money story i told u), wasn't even giving us past papers cause they said that we would do well in the exams!! and they were strict in marking as well....compared to my friend at imperial who's experiences were like "ohh they are giving us notes, past papers, hints etc"...

My friend in greece... do u know how many modules he had? he studied law. He had 53 modules in 4 years... would u say that he knows more law than my ****ing neighboor at uni that he did 12?? I'd say yes. However, their degrees say the same ****ing thing. 360 credits.

So, don't just quote a line of what i say and be a smart ass...
Original post by mcr2288
however, my neighboor in law did absolutely nothing all year long and was out partying day and night... cause he had all in all 4 essays per year and 4 exams where i had tutorials, laboratories, lectures, courseworks and classes...plus 8 ****ing exams in the end... see the difference now??

I guarantee you could not have written this if you were talking about a Law student at Oxford.
Tbh, regardless of where you go to uni I don't think it matters. I think my 2:1 from Hallam (currently studying for a PhD) would've looked just the same to prospective employers than a 2:1 from Oxford or Cambridge.

All exams are externally regulated, so they are all standardised. It's just as difficult to achieve a 2:1 at Oxbridge as it is at Hallam or anywhere else. Just because Oxbridge students happened to get better A level results says nothing - that was then and this is now.

I'm sorry, but this is just crap. Look at the content of a Hallam maths degree. There is absolutely no pure maths to be seen and the rest of the content is tenuous at best (http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/745/content/). There's less content in there than the Aston degree, which I didn't think possible. The Chemistry syllabus is similarly lightweight. It's utterly galling and insulting to students at Oxbridge (or most decent institutions) that your 2:1 was as difficult to achieve.
Original post by playingcards
No they are externally marked. They are absolutely not uniformly standardised.

The problem with your claim is that it just isn't borne out by reality. Oxbridge and RG graduates dominate in prestigious jobs and industries for a reason. We have a knowledge economy, they are the brightest in their generation, they demonstrate this with consistently excellent academic performance. The idea that the CCC students at Hallam catch up with their AAA counterparts, whilst doing easier work and less of it, is frankly ridiculous.

Show me a Hallam course and I guarantee you the Oxbridge equivalent is more academically demanding and carries a much higher workload.

Yeah but it's a circular system. The way they're ranked is biased. The people who do those rankings are the people who come from those universities. Of course you're going to say that your university is the best - it's human nature! But I'm being objective because I'm not saying that Hallam is the best - I recognise that's weaker for research than ohter universities but the taught courses are equivalent.

The external examiners are there to look at a piece of work and if they see something which they don't think deserves a 2:1 then they argue against the mark awarded - it's that simple! Just because Oxbridge and RG dominate in jobs it doesn't mean they're inherently better - just that people think they're better and are more likely to employ them. When in actual fact a degree is the same wherever you go! Sure, you might have to do more work at some universities than others. But that's to do with workload, and has no bearing on the final examinations. In fact, it should even make you more likely to get the top grades if you're constantly working harder!

My uncle's friend used to lecture at Oxford in languages (he's now a teacher). He said that the top students are the same wherever you go, and that if you're not getting a 2:1 or a First from Oxbridge then you're just lazy because the interviews and initial selection means that they're looking for the very brightest.

People with lower A level grades may go to lower universities and may be predicted lower grades. But A level performance doesn't necessarily correlate with degree performance as everyone knows!
Original post by Eboracum

But if we are to talk about Top 10ish Russell Group universities, such as Durham, Bristol, York, Nottingham etc, I'd rather a First from there than a 2:1 from Oxbridge as to go to one of them and get a First is really hard (although not quite as hard as Oxford) and I just feel you'd stand out more.

I remember someone posting on the Oxford forum here that their friend had failed the year at Oxford (got below a third), transferred to Nottingham and got a First.

So, I would find the notion that a First at Nottingham is harder to achieve than a 2.1 at Oxford to be highly highly questionable.
Original post by Nichrome
I'm sorry, but this is just crap. Look at the content of a Hallam maths degree. There is absolutely no pure maths to be seen and the rest of the content is tenuous at best (http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/745/content/). There's less content in there than the Aston degree, which I didn't think possible. The Chemistry syllabus is similarly lightweight. It's utterly galling and insulting to students at Oxbridge (or most decent institutions) that your 2:1 was as difficult to achieve.

Elitist babble. No need to get insulting because I'm challenging your assumptions about the world

People with lower A level grades may go to lower universities and may be predicted lower grades. But A level performance doesn't necessarily correlate with degree performance as everyone knows!

Cambridge has done research which shows that A Level performance correlates with degree performance.
Reply 248

Wait, what? :lolwut:
Reply 249
Original post by mcr2288
Dude, i believe u re not reading my posts... u re reading just a line that you want...

firstly, i am not trolling. I am just wasting my time with kids.

secondly, i will ask you a question. Who says, oxbridge is no1 uni? or if u like... who judges unis in order to know which is best? And what are the parameters in this ranking system???

Then, maybe in ur mind the degrees are not equivalent... HOWEVER, u cannot ignore the credit system! Right?? u can never say that someone from aston knows less than u!! right??? and u cannot prove it of course, after official papers say something else... it is ur opinion, I accept that... but just that! especially after he got a 1st and u got a 2:1!! :smile:

I 'll go a step forward if u like just for the sake of the conversation...in the uk degrees are 3 years... would you say that a degree from a european country that is 4 years worth more or someone from a 4-year uni knows more than u???

During my time at uni... in the uk... i had in total... 20-24 modules depending on my choices every year... and i was in science!! Law students at my uni had in total, 12!! we all had at graduation 360 credits right?? however, my neighboor in law did absolutely nothing all year long and was out partying day and night... cause he had all in all 4 essays per year and 4 exams where i had tutorials, laboratories, lectures, courseworks and classes...plus 8 ****ing exams in the end... see the difference now??

I also had friends at unis in greece...and imperial... my friend at imperial said after graduation that he expected uni to be more difficult and he didn't expect so high grades and such an easy 1st!! However at my uni, who desperately wanted to cllimb up some places in the rankings (remember, RAE-funding-money story i told u), wasn't even giving us past papers cause they said that we would do well in the exams!! and they were strict in marking as well....compared to my friend at imperial who's experiences were like "ohh they are giving us notes, past papers, hints etc"...

My friend in greece... do u know how many modules he had? he studied law. He had 53 modules in 4 years... would u say that he knows more law than my ****ing neighboor at uni that he did 12?? I'd say yes. However, their degrees say the same ****ing thing. 360 credits.

So, don't just quote a line of what i say and be a smart ass...

Ok, you're supposedly not trolling so I will point out all of the holes in your argument.

In regards to you saying I could never say someone from Aston knows less, well given that we're talking about knowledge in reference to the degree (otherwise this discussion is hilariously pointless) yes I can. As I've mentioned already, at Oxford we cover in the first year ALL of what Aston covers and more in two years. If that isn't 'proof' enough that an Oxford mathematics undergraduate knows more, then the argument is again ridiculous, this isn't an opinion, it is fact. All you have to do is look at the syllabus of one course and compare, it isn't difficult.

Your point about 3/4 year degrees make absolutely no sense, because it doesn't take into account how much work is done in each year.

Also, what are you on about in regards to modules? Firstly, you're assuming each module is the same workload across subjects (which I doubt is even true) and I don't even see what you're trying to point out? No-one uses a 'credit' system, such a system isn't even in use in Oxford as far as I know - so I don't get what this 'worth' in relation to the credit system is all about.

Comparing you and your friend is nonsensical, not to mention the fact you are using one person to compare, why on earth is it even relevant? It's possible that he is incredibly bright, and found the work easy - but how is this representative of all Imperial undergraduates exactly? Does your Greek friend know more than your neighbour, who knows? Who is to say the 53 modules weren't small compared to the 12 your neighbour took?

There isn't really a single argument you've made that isn't riddled with holes.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I remember someone posting on the Oxford forum here that their friend had failed the year at Oxford (got below a third), transferred to Nottingham and got a First.

So, I would find the notion that a First at Nottingham is harder to achieve than a 2.1 at Oxford to be highly highly questionable.

I've got a friend who went to Nottingham trent and then failed his first year there. He then dropped out of uni for about 3 years, decided to re-sit some of his A levels and then went onto Nottingham Uni (he was already based in Nottingham and had been living there for a few years so wanted to stay local with his gf).

People can try harder and improve. They can mess up the first time and then realise that they need to knuckle down and work hard, and suddenly they excel.

The story about your friend proves nothing
Reply 251
Elitist babble. No need to get insulting because I'm challenging your assumptions about the world

Elitist babble? That entire course is a joke to even the first year of undergrad. mathematics at a respectable institution.
I've got a friend who went to Nottingham trent and then failed his first year there. He then dropped out of uni for about 3 years, decided to re-sit some of his A levels and then went onto Nottingham Uni (he was already based in Nottingham and had been living there for a few years so wanted to stay local with his gf).

People can try harder and improve. They can mess up the first time and then realise that they need to knuckle down and work hard, and suddenly they excel.

The story about your friend proves nothing

Not my friend, just a post I remember reading on here.

I can't imagine anyone could improve from a Fail to a First within Oxford or Cambridge. That gap is absolutely massive.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Not my friend, just a post I remember reading on here.

I can't imagine anyone could improve from a Fail to a First within Oxford or Cambridge. That gap is absolutely massive.

I think the gap is absolutely massive anywhere you go though that's the thing. Oxbridge just have this legendary status that I think people should be more sceptical of instead of just lapping up their supposed superiority over the rest of British universities
Original post by Noble.
Elitist babble? That entire course is a joke to even the first year of undergrad. mathematics at a respectable institution.

I bet it ranks highly for student satisfaction though. I don't do maths and thankfully didn't have to do maths to get onto my accounting and finance course at hallam (haha thank God I'm TERRIBLE at maths!) so I can't really comment on the content of the course, but looking at accounting and finance courses at other universities i.e. our rival one sheffield university the course content is fairly similar!
Reply 255
I think the gap is absolutely massive anywhere you go though that's the thing. Oxbridge just have this legendary status that I think people should be more sceptical of instead of just lapping up their supposed superiority over the rest of British universities

Funny that you have this view, yet obviously have never been to Oxbridge. If you look at all the people who have posted on this thread who have attended Oxbridge and then attended another UK University, they've all been saying the opposite of what you've been saying - there is a big gap between Oxbridge and non-Oxbridge universities. Yet somehow... you know better?
Original post by Noble.
Funny that you have this view, yet obviously have never been to Oxbridge. If you look at all the people who have posted on this thread who have attended Oxbridge and then attended another UK University, they've all been saying the opposite of what you've been saying - there is a big gap between Oxbridge and non-Oxbridge universities. Yet somehow... you know better?

Yeah but of courst they're going to say that aren't they! Everyone's proud of their institutions. And society has created this image of Oxbridge being the best and everyone believes it, so the people who go there also believe it. It's something known as confirmation bias - I studied it in my A level psychology. You only look for evidence that already support your own beliefs!

I'm not saying that I'm definitely right, I'm saying that it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. All I'm saying is just to be a bit more sceptical of people who say that Oxbridge is the best, and use something known as 'anecdotal evidence' to support their opinions!

What about Harvard? Are students equally bright at Salem State?

Are the Nobel committee hoodwinked into mistaking Oxbridge science for brilliant science by a misplaced respect for the name?
Reply 258
Yeah but of courst they're going to say that aren't they! Everyone's proud of their institutions. And society has created this image of Oxbridge being the best and everyone believes it, so the people who go there also believe it. It's something known as confirmation bias - I studied it in my A level psychology. You only look for evidence that already support your own beliefs!

I'm not saying that I'm definitely right, I'm saying that it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. All I'm saying is just to be a bit more sceptical of people who say that Oxbridge is the best, and use something known as 'anecdotal evidence' to support their opinions!

Jeez man, all you have to do is compare one of Oxbridge's course to another University and you'll see how much more challenging and intense the course is. Why is it so complicated for you to work this out by yourself? A lot of people are skeptical that Oxbridge is more difficult, I even was myself back when I was applying - and then I spent a few hours comparing the courses of where I applied (including other top Universities) and realised it is much more intense and difficult at Oxford/Cambridge. As I said, it isn't difficult to come to this conclusion without assuming it's some big conspiracy while wearing a tin-hat.
Original post by playingcards
What about Harvard? Are students equally bright at Salem State?

Are the Nobel committee hoodwinked into mistaking Oxbridge science for brilliant science by a misplaced respect for the name?

And that's something known as a 'straw-man' argument. I'm in no way shape or form denying that Oxbridge are better for research - but that's because they get more money than every other university in the UK put together for research. And the same with the Russell Group - they get to hog all the money for themselves. No wonder their better at research than the rest of us unis!

So yes, their science and research is better. But I'm specifically talking about their courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending