The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mans 21 and still rolling with an 11-15 Oyster Card.
Reply 41
Original post by Iamyourfather
Mans 21 and still rolling with an 11-15 Oyster Card.

*16+ .. Lol
Reply 42
Original post by Makebelieve15
The above is true, loser always pays out, that's why when two wealthy people go to court, it makes interesting reading as the losing one pays out a lot in legal fees and court costs.

Providing it's his first offence on the TfL network, it would be extremely unlikely for anything other than a small fine and a temporary suspension of the 16+ oyster card to come of it. I think the big fines and court cases are for persistent fare evaders rather than the one off. It also becomes big if you refuse to pay the fine.

okay. Thanks a lot for replying.. Hopefully the fine's not too big. Thanks again
Original post by c.vine
*16+ .. Lol

I was talking about myself lol
Reply 44
Original post by ss_s95
Exactly. It only ends up in court if you believe you're not in the red and feel that the situation is unfair - going to court gives you the chance to make an appeal/complaint against TfL. But of course, you're aware that what you and your brother did was wrong - so there's no need for court.

Just speaking in general here - if you take it further to court and you've not got enough evidence to suggest that you're not at fault for anything, then I suppose you'd be asked to pay not only the fine, but also TfL's legal fees and court proceeding fees

Makes total sense now. thank you for replying... :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Iamyourfather
I was talking about myself lol

Oh right, i thought you was being mean to my brother, lol my mistake, sorry.. Be careful though okay - dont caught :smile:
Reply 46
Firstly, I think it's a civil matter for avoiding a fare, not a criminal matter, ie the prosecution don't build a massive case so I don't think they'll be a criminal record in any case. I think criminal cases are for people who have done things which impact on others such as stealing from investors, murder, and all the other physical crimes, whereas using someone else's oyster is stealing, but from the state and in any case it would cost the government a lot to take you to court over £2. It's just like stealing sweets from a shop, it rarely ends up in court

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 47
First times usually end in warning and a fine, I am 100% sure you don't get arrested, they just keep increasing your fine till you've paid it, have Yiu not read those adverts in buses talking about inspectors and how they look like Yiu? It just says fine underneath it the same it would do for buying a child Ticket for a train, don't worry!!!!!!! I got clocked for not having a train ticket once the tfl do like trying to scare the hell out of people as if they'd committed murder but don't worry! Plus an Oyster card costs 10 pound you'll be fine!!!
Reply 48
Original post by SannaS
First times usually end in warning and a fine, I am 100% sure you don't get arrested, they just keep increasing your fine till you've paid it, have Yiu not read those adverts in buses talking about inspectors and how they look like Yiu? It just says fine underneath it the same it would do for buying a child Ticket for a train, don't worry!!!!!!! I got clocked for not having a train ticket once the tfl do like trying to scare the hell out of people as if they'd committed murder but don't worry! Plus an Oyster card costs 10 pound you'll be fine!!!

never really paid attention to that lol and they sure do. Definitely got me stressed.. Thanks a lot for replying :smile:
Reply 49
You'll be fine :smile:
I'm pretty sure it's not a criminal offence. You'll probably just have to pay a fine. Maybe the people you looked up had tog o to court because they didn't pay their fine.
Reply 51
guys, both me and my brother got a letter from TFL.. my brother's one says " if you have any comments to make about this incident, please write them on the reverse side of this letter." it also says " you do not have to reply to this letter but it may harm your defence if you do not mention something which you may later rely on in court. anything that you provide in writing may be used in evidence" whilst mine is forcing me to reply and provide as much information as possible about the circumstances which led to my photocard being withdrawn... what should i write for both? HELP PLEASEE :frown:
Original post by c.vine
guys, both me and my brother got a letter from TFL.. my brother's one says " if you have any comments to make about this incident, please write them on the reverse side of this letter." it also says " you do not have to reply to this letter but it may harm your defence if you do not mention something which you may later rely on in court. anything that you provide in writing may be used in evidence" whilst mine is forcing me to reply and provide as much information as possible about the circumstances which led to my photocard being withdrawn... what should i write for both? HELP PLEASEE :frown:

Just explain the situation, but most of all, tell the truth.

As for your brother...wow, either he isn't getting anything or he's going to court...is that all his letter says?

Maybe you're the one who will get the fine after submitting the response?
Reply 53
Just explain the situation, but most of all, tell the truth.

As for your brother...wow, either he isn't getting anything or he's going to court...is that all his letter says?

Maybe you're the one who will get the fine after submitting the response?

it says " the facts of this incident are being considered and i must advice you that legal proceedings may be taken against you in accordance with TFL's prosecution policy.

if you have any comments to make about this incident please write them on the reverse side of this letter....
Original post by c.vine
it says " the facts of this incident are being considered and i must advice you that legal proceedings may be taken against you in accordance with TFL's prosecution policy.

if you have any comments to make about this incident please write them on the reverse side of this letter....

Just apologise and explain the situation, ask if there are alternative methods for them to penalise you, such as offering to pay a fine? I'm not sure, anything you write could harm your defense that you later rely on in court.
Reply 55
Original post by c.vine

What happened to you and what became of your course? Know someone in a similar situation who is quite anxious
Reply 56
hey guys,

I just got a letter and its asking my brother to go to court in 12th September. :frown:
I don't know what to do.
Reply 57
Fine of £100 and yes you will be able to apply for a new Oyster Card.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by Mattheatre
Fine of £100 and yes you will be able to apply for a new Oyster Card.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey, do you happen to know the whole process?
i don't know if my brother should go or just plead guilty by post?
Reply 59
It will be a small scale court. Plead guilty. Fine of £100 will be issued.

Don't skip court. That just makes things worse for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending