The Student Room Group

Perks Of Living On Your Own

Hey I was just wondering what people found cool about moving out to university and living on their own, be it obvious things they were excited about or aspects that surprised them. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Drinking milk out of the carton and no-one can stop me!
so so much freedom it's you own life finally no rules or regulations want to drink all night an get wasted no problem non e is going to stop you
How serenely quiet it is when you wake up on a Sunday morning and no one is around to disturb your thoughts.
Reply 4
A bit weird, but I'm really looking forward to doing a grocery shop.
Original post by Just Declan
Hey I was just wondering what people found cool about moving out to university and living on their own, be it obvious things they were excited about or aspects that surprised them. :biggrin:

I poured a full pack of oreos into a bowl, covered them with milk and ate them like breakfast cereal the other day.
Reply 6
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
How serenely quiet it is when you wake up on a Sunday morning and no one is around to disturb your thoughts.

Agreed. Once came home around 11-12pm on a Sunday having been out for the last 2 hours. My then hallmates hadn't that long got up and were having breakfast.
Original post by chrisawhitmore
I poured a full pack of oreos into a bowl, covered them with milk and ate them like breakfast cereal the other day.

Screw uni, I want to move out now :mad:
Reply 8
Original post by chrisawhitmore

OMG You're living the dream.
Just generally being able to do what I want when I want. I really like being in charge of cooking my own meals and it's great not having my parents wake me up early at weekends!

And not having to listen to 'Wear a coat! It's cold outside!' from my mum :P

It's like, mum I'm old enough to know when to wear a coat :P
I like not having to clean up after others, or get annoyed that others had made a mess and the only mess is my own. I also like waking up and being able to watch tv and not have to consider what someone else wants to watch. Also, not having to worry about if you want a shower in the morning whether they'll be a queue of people.
Reply 11
Baking whenever I want. Nothing beats a 2am batch of cookies.
Crepes for every meal of the day.
Being able to leave something in the kitchen and not worry that cats'll eat it. (In my family house there's four cats, leaving food out is basically saying goodbye to hygiene)
Just a few things that come to mind, basically anything food-related :P
Reply 13
I'm a bit odd, and I quite like grocery shopping :tongue: And drinking juice out the carton so you don't have to wash up more than strictly necessary... Ehm. And getting up in the middle of the night without waking anyone up :tongue:
I'm really excited to be able to leave the house at 1am for no reason without being questioned endlessly, I probably won't but I like having the option.
I just liked being able to do everything on my terms, rather than having to fit in with what everyone else was doing. I could have my meals whenever I wanted, and could eat the things I liked without having to worry about what meats, veg, types of bread 3 other people liked etc. I also enjoyed only having my mess to clear up. Now I'm back at home again I seem to have fallen back into the role of "cleaner", which I don't really like too much.
Definitely being able to do things when you want. When I get home I (bizarrely) have MORE chores to do than when I'm living at home, because I have to do things like the washing up when my parents want it done.

Plus my parents shop like retards, like they'll get a single loaf of bread for a week, and then loads of meat and stuff for proper dinners. But then you have **** all for lunch, which my parents don't consider because they're at work :rolleyes:

Living at uni is overall just better, less arguments and less hassle
Reply 17
Having a **** without someone trying to annoy you.
I've lived at my uni house this week alone, but it's a big house (there's seven of us normally). It's been a real blessing not having to watch what someone else wants on tv, being able to spread my stuff out, listen to music loudly. Go to bed when I want and not worry about someone else disturbing me, or disturbing someone else. The only problem is that the boiler's broken, so I can't do my washing up...

Quick Reply

Latest