The Student Room Group

I'm beginning to think that it sucks being a guy....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lumos
please do tell us more about your first world straight white man problems

I'm not white, which is whole different issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kunoichi
The awkward moment when your a girl and you can piss standing up......

(Severe hatred of public toilet seats, many years practice)

Same, it's a skill I've mastered after so many years.
Reply 22
Original post by sr90
I think there are good and bad sides to both, for example don't envy childbirth, the 'time of the month' or the harassment women get on nights out. I've never really thought whether things would be much different if i were female, as i'm fine how I am.

Interestingly ive known a lot of men envy childbirth and or at least the ability to be able to have a whole new life growing inside you and to be able experience that.

I think childbirth is a pretty wonderful thing to be able to be capable of. (Although that view might change when ive had one! :tongue: )

'Ladyweek' sucks though. Wont lie.
Reply 23
Original post by Kandy_Kain_94
Same, it's a skill I've mastered after so many years.

im not alone :biggrin:
Reply 24
Men will always win on which gender has it better because they don't bleed every month for a week or two.
Reply 25
Teens can be a ****ty time for both genders. Men often link their value and self esteem to their ability to get women. They haven't yet developed the confidence they need to date and women often date guys a few years older, so in terms of dating, they may be a little behind when they're around 20, but it picks up soon enough (as long as you develop, that is).
Reply 26
Original post by datpiff
....reading the posts on this forum. Does it suck that much being a 18-25 year old guy? Is it fair to say that most women in their youth are happier and less lonely than men in their youth and have access to more support?

Is it still guys who have the better lives or has the decline of masculinity in the media, in industry, in retail, in the classroom, etc contributed to making mens lives more miserable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's fair to say that men do tend to be more lonely in their youth not because lack of social competence or lack of friends, but more because at this age, women call the shots when it comes to relationships. It's perfectly acceptable and quite common for 18 year old women to go out with men in their late 20s, for example (less so the other way round) - and women typically go for older guys because of improved appearence with age (and not necessarily maturity - I really don't think there's as much maturity difference between guys and girls of the same age as popular opinion would like to suggest. I speak from personal experience).

For example, I'm 23 and haven't had a girlfriend for 7 years. My ex is married the guy she dumped me for; he's 5 years older than her (which practically makes him a paedophile, so I guess the joke's on him :P). I was her first ever boyfriend; she will probably *never* know what it's like to be rejected. She will never understand how much pain I felt. She's only ever shown interest to guys she likes, and she's always got what she wanted, just because she's female.

Most girls have numerous guys after them at any given time, and whether or not you get the girl you want to go out with is like a job interview. The chance of you getting it is quite low. Rejection after rejection ensues. You have to lower your standards, until it gets to the point that you consider going out with a girl just for the sake of having a relationship, yet not having a low-enough moral conscience to actually do that - hence remaining single. It gets so lonely without a girlfriend. So yes, girls (until their late 20s or so) basically can have a relationship whenever they want one, with (more-or-less) whomever they want. For guys it's the other way around. At least I hope it is.

Incidentally, I reckon this is a major contributing factor to the shorter lifespan of men. More pain and loneliness in early adulthood = more strain on the heart = greater chance of dying young.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by mc1000
I think it's fair to say that men do tend to be more lonely in their youth not because lack of social competence or lack of friends, but more because at this age, women call the shots when it comes to relationships. It's perfectly acceptable and quite common for 18 year old women to go out with men in their late 20s, for example (less so the other way round) - and women typically go for older guys because of improved appearence with age (and not necessarily maturity - I really don't think there's as much maturity difference between guys and girls of the same age as popular opinion would like to suggest. I speak from personal experience).

For example, I'm 23 and haven't had a girlfriend for 7 years. My ex is married the guy she dumped me for; he's 5 years older than her (which practically makes him a paedophile, so I guess the joke's on him :P). I was her first ever boyfriend; she will probably *never* know what it's like to be rejected. She will never understand how much pain I felt. She's only ever shown interest to guys she likes, and she's always got what she wanted, just because she's female.

Most girls have numerous guys after them at any given time, and whether or not you get the girl you want to go out with is like a job interview. The chance of you getting it is quite low. Rejection after rejection ensues. You have to lower your standards, until it gets to the point that you consider going out with a girl just for the sake of having a relationship, yet not having a low-enough moral conscience to actually do that - hence remaining single. It gets so lonely without a girlfriend. So yes, girls (until their late 20s or so) basically can have a relationship whenever they want one, with (more-or-less) whomever they want. For guys it's the other way around. At least I hope it is.

Incidentally, I reckon this is a major contributing factor to the shorter lifespan of men. More pain and loneliness in early adulthood = more strain on the heart = greater chance of dying young.

This.
Reply 28
Original post by datpiff
....reading the posts on this forum. Does it suck that much being a 18-25 year old guy? Is it fair to say that most women in their youth are happier and less lonely than men in their youth and have access to more support?

Is it still guys who have the better lives or has the decline of masculinity in the media, in industry, in retail, in the classroom, etc contributed to making mens lives more miserable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really. As an '18-25' year old guy I am actually far more mobile on a global level than many people in other age groups. I am able to save a higher proportion of my income than people in other age groups, who are often (voluntarily) burdened with fixed assets/borrowing that they need to service - e.g. mortgage loans, automobile loans, childcare expenses etc.

And the thing about the media is only really applicable in certain parts of the Western world rather than across the whole planet.
being a woman definitely has perks
a woman could waltz into the front of a queue at a nightclub if shes dressed nicely
in some cases women can go into clubs and bars empty handed and still get drinks
being a guy doesn't have that advantage
however, if I lived again Id still rather be a guy
Reply 30
I would actually prefer to be a guy, just seems like less pain and hassle.
Reply 31
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Yup, definitely.

The thing about being a man, however, is that you should - in principle - not need these things. Women need emotional support because they are weak.

They have happier youth, but at the end of the day, they are women and we all know this is a man's world.

But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32

I think childbirth is a pretty wonderful thing to be able to be capable of. (Although that view might change when ive had one! :tongue: )

'Ladyweek' sucks though. Wont lie.

What's that?
It certainly is hard plenty of the time when you're a guy :sexface:
Reply 34
Young guy: Muscle, ridiculously fast metabolism, awesome facial hair, deep voice.

Young woman: Menstrual cramps + vaginal bleeding, seemingly constant concern over calories due to much less rapid metabolism, constant need to shave/wax legs etc.

It's a tough decision but all things considered, I think I'll keep my penis for the time being :rolleyes:

Edit: Apparently it isn't clear so let me include a disclaimer: this post is not meant to be taken seriously, yes I am aware that I am comparing negatives with positives and not considering anywhere near all the differences between men and women, any offence caused is unintended and yes I did think it was obvious that I wasn't proposing a comprehensive and balanced analysis of the various advantages of different genders etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by effofex
What's that?

Being on your period :tongue:
Original post by Josh93
Young guy: Muscle, ridiculously fast metabolism, awesome facial hair, deep voice.

Young woman: Menstrual cramps + vaginal bleeding, seemingly constant concern over calories due to much less rapid metabolism, constant need to shave/wax legs etc.

It's a tough decision but all things considered, I think I'll keep my penis for the time being :rolleyes:

Wat? Like seriously you think that is a balanced argument?
Reply 37
Being on your period :tongue:

it's a week long? that must be terrible.
Reply 38
Original post by Gary Barlow
Wat? Like seriously you think that is a balanced argument?

As balanced as some of the other rubbish people (mostly male) have posted...!
Reply 39
Original post by effofex
it's a week long? that must be terrible.

It can vary - on the pill its two days long, off the pill because im messed up two weeks long.

But yes for the average woman i believe it is about a week long.

Quick Reply

Latest