The Student Room Group

Has anyone taught themselves a language outside of school?

I am considering learning German (i never studied it at school) and I am at uni now, so i am considering studying it myself. There doesnt seem to be any night classes available at the minute so any suggestions as to websites or materials that would be of real use.
Thanks
Reply 1
I taught myself Dutch, well enough that when I moved to Holland I was able to have 5 job interviews a month after living here and got offered 4 out of the 5 jobs. Still have my job a year later and still learning lots :smile: I started off with live mocha (although there are a lot of weirdos on there, you can just use the flashcards to learn the basics). Then I started reading books I'd read as a teen in Dutch (like Goosebumps, they also have them in German and the language isn't too difficult once you understand the basics). Have you ever learnt any other language before?
I'm also at uni, also wanting to study German. I plan on using Rosetta Stone to become averagely proficient, then hopefully getting a qualification out of it somehow, maybe with the uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotty Bear
I taught myself Dutch, well enough that when I moved to Holland I was able to have 5 job interviews a month after living here and got offered 4 out of the 5 jobs. Still have my job a year later and still learning lots :smile: I started off with live mocha (although there are a lot of weirdos on there, you can just use the flashcards to learn the basics). Then I started reading books I'd read as a teen in Dutch (like Goosebumps, they also have them in German and the language isn't too difficult once you understand the basics). Have you ever learnt any other language before?

Well I have a GCSE in French and in Irish, but never them on for a-level because they werent suited for my course, even though i enjoyed learning. What type of work are you doing in Holland?
Reply 4
Original post by gotye
Well I have a GCSE in French and in Irish, but never them on for a-level because they werent suited for my course, even though i enjoyed learning. What type of work are you doing in Holland?

Ah right... not much similarity between French and German, but apparently being exposed to 2 languages previously can help learn another (although I learned French for 10 years and could hardly speak a word of it lol!). I work as an assistant chef, but I'm in Holland for my degree (which is all in English luckily apart from the practical)
Reply 5
Original post by Scotty Bear
Ah right... not much similarity between French and German, but apparently being exposed to 2 languages previously can help learn another (although I learned French for 10 years and could hardly speak a word of it lol!). I work as an assistant chef, but I'm in Holland for my degree (which is all in English luckily apart from the practical)

good stuff. Is dutch similar to German?
Reply 6
Duolingo is really great.
Reply 7
Original post by gotye
good stuff. Is dutch similar to German?

Its kind of a mash between English, German and French, with different pronounciation. The grammar is a lot easier than German
Reply 8
I managed to learn Spanish completely from scratch using (torrented) Pimsleur audiobooks to a pretty good level after only 1-2months. Look it up, Pimsleur is a really effective method for learning languages and I found it to be really great as it gets you conversationally adept.

I had an advantage however in that I was already pretty good at French and as a grammar freak, I was obsessed with looking up and analysing the grammar and syntax of everything I heard. I would use the Pimsleur program in combination with the internet (wordreference) and a good grammar book.
Original post by Giant
I managed to learn Spanish completely from scratch using (torrented) Pimsleur audiobooks to a pretty good level after only 1-2months. Look it up, Pimsleur is a really effective method for learning languages and I found it to be really great as it gets you conversationally adept.

I had an advantage however in that I was already pretty good at French and as a grammar freak, I was obsessed with looking up and analysing the grammar and syntax of everything I heard. I would use the Pimsleur program in combination with the internet (wordreference) and a good grammar book.

How do you download the Pimsleur materials?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
Original post by sunfowers01
How do you download the Pimsleur materials?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

A nice little site called ThePirateBay (you didn't hear it from me, OK? :wink: )
Reply 11
Original post by gotye
I am considering learning German (i never studied it at school) and I am at uni now, so i am considering studying it myself. There doesnt seem to be any night classes available at the minute so any suggestions as to websites or materials that would be of real use.
Thanks

Check Duolingo. You can thank me later. :cool:
Reply 12
Original post by Giant
A nice little site called ThePirateBay (you didn't hear it from me, OK? :wink: )

Hi,
I just tried to search for the piratebay and it says its blocked?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending