The Student Room Group

How to go about finding midwifery work experience (before doing degree)?

I haven't applied for the degree yet, I will be doing this later this year, but I want to maybe get some midwifery experience/nursing experience in a hospital or birthing centre(?) before I apply.

a) to make sure it's what I want to do and that I enjoy it.
b) to practice working with people, and...
c) to have something more to say on my UCAS personal statement

Advice needed! Thanks guys :smile:
Edit: I realise I probably won't be able to actually deliver babies or stuff like that, but maybe I could help in some other ways... I don't know! Ah!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Why don`t you ring your local healthboard and enquire, Im doing mental health but was unable to do shadow on shift they recommended I registered with the hospital bank scheme as you need CRB etc to be on ward environment.Not sure if its been passed but I know there is talk that you have to have 1 years experience in nursing/healthcare befroe applying for degree courses.:frown:
Reply 2
Original post by suzib
Why don`t you ring your local healthboard and enquire, Im doing mental health but was unable to do shadow on shift they recommended I registered with the hospital bank scheme as you need CRB etc to be on ward environment.Not sure if its been passed but I know there is talk that you have to have 1 years experience in nursing/healthcare befroe applying for degree courses.:frown:

Great idea! I think I will ring my local health board and ask about it all.
I think if they did that (asked for people to have 1 years experience in nursing/healthcare before applying for degree courses) it might put more people off doing these degrees althogether, and that would be bad because I would have thought nursing/healthcare qualified people are really needed! We'll have see what happens I guess :rolleyes:
Thanks and good luck! :smile:
Hi, in relation to your concern about the year experience before your course. From what I have read in the Nursing Times and RCN, you are not obliged to complete the year, but you will then have to fund the course yourself. If you do the year experience, tied in as part of your course, the NHS will pay your fees. And this could be implemented as early as Autumn 2013. There are still issues surrounding this, nothing has yet been set in stone, as the NHS need to discover how they are going to do this.

As regards to experience, you can always contact your local hospital to enquiry about becoming a volunteer. You will probably have to apply as if it was a paid post, but you should be able to gain valuable experience, hopefully, in your chosen area.

I start my adult nursing course this September, so if you would like any more help please just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending