The Student Room Group

Gym pet peeves

Scroll to see replies

People squatting in the curl rack.
Original post by Danehill897
People who use treadmills (as opposed to people who run outside in the fresh air/good scenery for free).

Have you not seen the weather this spring? Obviously you haven't been outside to experience the nice fresh air and scenery :wink:
Original post by lauraaaa.xo
Pedalling on the treadmill lol? It annoys me seeing people putting the treadmill incline on 15 but then clinging on for dear life and leaning back as they walk:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exercise bike even :tongue:

Ha exactly. Treadmills annoy me in general tbh especially when people run along an a completely flat one with no incline, it's just not nearly comparable to actually running outside.
Original post by the666thmessiah

when i do grunt, its usually only with deadlifts, where i typically shout something along the lines of "i am thor the god of thunder"... You know, to provide people some entertainment at least during the awkwardness of having to put up with the grunt itself.

:rofl:
Original post by Forget that
Have you not seen the weather this spring? Obviously you haven't been outside to experience the nice fresh air and scenery :wink:

Going outside in bad weather may not be everyone's cup of tea, but in cold weather you just wear more gear and if it rains ... well that doesn't matter as you should be wet from sweat anyway.

Infact I actually quite like running through mud and cold etc. as you get to feel like you're in the SAS or are James Bond or something.
Original post by lauraaaa.xo
Pedalling on the treadmill lol? It annoys me seeing people putting the treadmill incline on 15 but then clinging on for dear life and leaning back as they walk:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never understood this. I've had to go on treadmills for gait analysis and I always start off walking and then build up slowly.

People who don't wipe machines down after use.
Reply 86
Original post by Bouffe
Guys who are lifting dumbbells that are like 10-12k, and then just let them drop to the floor after every set with an audible smash that startles others.

People who put dumbbells on the rack where ever they feel like, rather than in order of weight or even in corresponding pairs.

People who leave entire puddles of sweat on benches/equipment/seats and never, EVER wipe up after themselves.

Gyms that play Nicki Minaj songs...

agreed :biggrin:
Going outside in bad weather may not be everyone's cup of tea, but in cold weather you just wear more gear and if it rains ... well that doesn't matter as you should be wet from sweat anyway.

Infact I actually quite like running through mud and cold etc. as you get to feel like you're in the SAS or are James Bond or something.

Okay, if that works for you! I pretend im fictional characters as well but only in extreme situations. I think i'll stick to the treadmill personally.
Anyway, doesn't running on pavement hurt your knees after a while?
Blimming guys staring at me in the weight section. Makes me anxious about going in there.
Original post by Forget that
Okay, if that works for you! I pretend im fictional characters as well but only in extreme situations. I think i'll stick to the treadmill personally.
Anyway, doesn't running on pavement hurt your knees after a while?

I live in a town, so the countryside's not far away and running on grass isn't nearly as bad for your knees. If you live in a city (like I assume you do?) then I suppose the great outdoors might not be so great.
Original post by Implication
I have many pet peeves, but curling in the squat rack is not one of them. If no-one is waiting to squat, then who ****ing cares? I'm pretty sure Starting Strength even advises doing your curls in a rack. Curling in the squat rack when someone is waiting to squat is annoying, but that's just because anyone using equipment they don't need when someone else does is annoying. That's just one example of it. More to the point, you can just say "excuse me, can you curl elsewhere please? I need the rack." and 99 times out of 100 they will just move. I train my press in the squat rack all the time, but if anyone asks how long I'll be I'll just go and press elsewhere as long as there's a bar free...

Actual pet peeves:
-standing or walking over the bar when I'm about to DL/clean
-not putting weights away
-putting weights in the wrong place
-rudeness
-spotters "helping" me before I'm struggling

If people want to squat below parallel, train only biceps and chest, sit on machines, grunt when they lift heavy, drop weights, wear makeup to the gym, lift too heavy with poor form etc. etc. blah blah blah then who cares? As long as they don't break equipment it doesn't affect anyone else.

I also wear a hoody to the gym.

*prepares for negs*

What's wrong with squatting below parallel?

This new James Bond is ripped thing is terrible. James Bond is supposed to be a borderline alcoholic with like 10 STDs, not some stupid workout warrior meathead.
Garuntee bare people in here either: don't squat 400, Don't dead 500 or bench 300. When phaggots start lifting heavy an training properly you'll stop caring what other people do in the gym.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Troll Toll
This new James Bond is ripped thing is terrible. James Bond is supposed to be a borderline alcoholic with like 10 STDs, not some stupid workout warrior meathead.

10 std's? That's hilarious- although in the recent film they did try to show he was a bit unfit but they blamed age for that- he's from the 1950's after all.
Considering I'm the youngest person that goes to my gym, people stare a lot and it's annoying. I'm not immature, I just work out and go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by Mother_Russia
People walking on a steep incline on the treadmills. Does that actually do anything?

1. Running on TM with incline of 1% (btw, why does treadmills use % instead of degrees?) is the closest thing to the running outside as possible (apart from running outside obviously).
2. high (> 8%) inclines really work better- for walking not running.
Original post by CaptainSassy
Considering I'm the youngest person that goes to my gym, people stare a lot and it's annoying. I'm not immature, I just work out and go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We got this kid in our gym, he's under 14 I'd guess. He walks around using random machines and doing the exercises wrongly. I see him there pretty often. He's on his own as well. He often asks random bros "how do you use this machine" then the bro shows him (wrong usually) and he does that. I saw him behind the neck press on the smith machine with a heavy weight once. He was slowly pushing it up but man it looked painful. Lucky he's so young and has full flexibility and soft cartilage etc otherwise snap city.

ANyway, if you are young people will look at you because they're thinking "who the **** is supervising this kid?" which is what I think each time I see the kid above.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 97
People (girls mainly) who go on the erg but row with one hand whilst browsing Facebook on their phone..
Reply 98
Original post by silent ninja
We got this kid in our gym, he's under 14 I'd guess. He walks around using random machines and doing the exercises wrongly. I see him there pretty often. He's on his own as well. He often asks random bros "how do you use this machine" then the bro shows him (wrong usually) and he does that. I saw him behind the neck press on the smith machine with a heavy weight once. He was slowly pushing it up but man it looked painful. Lucky he's so young and has full flexibility and soft cartilage etc otherwise snap city.

ANyway, if you are young people will look at you because they're thinking "who the **** is supervising this kid?" which is what I think each time I see the kid above.

If he sticks at it by the time he is 22 he will be a god.
Pretty sure thats how everyone starts off, i myself didnt know proper technique etc until many months later and i had no routine, use random things, with time he will realise this himself like me and it will be all good

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest