The Student Room Group

Choosing between Durham and Lancaster

Scroll to see replies

Lancaster, because then you might see me in the lectures :tongue:

Just kidding. But have you visited them both?
Original post by staveley30
So if im doing M2 now the compulsory module shouldnt be too difficult?

You should be fine :smile:
No I do not, though Lancaster was the university I wanted to go to, in fact I was so arrogant that I would get that I only applied for one degree/uni through UCAS... but the failed to get the needed results :frown: , but I intend on completing my master at Lanc Uni to fulfill my dream of studying there.

My sisters goes to Lancaster University, she said that it was a big jump but Lancaster University ensure that you feel apart of community through the college system, that there plenty of support from staff if you need it, e.g. even if you just miss home there is someone to speak to about it. Also I have been to Lancaster University several times, everyone is so friendly, there is always something to do, the atmosphere is brilliant.

Do you go to Lancaster currently? If you do did you find the jump from living at home to having to cook for yourself and everything else a big jump?
Reply 23
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Lancaster, because then you might see me in the lectures :tongue:

Just kidding. But have you visited them both?

Yeah visited them both and liked them both for different reasons
Reply 24
Original post by Aleeece123
You should be fine :smile:

Thanks, thats helped put my mind at rest
Reply 25
I think Lancaster is massively underrated. It has been in the top 10 UK unis in all three rankings; The Guardian, The Times and the Complete University Guide for the past 3 or 4 years. Yet this is often overlooked. Durham is excellent too. I would choose based on which I liked the feel of most.
Reply 26
Original post by kratos90
I think Lancaster is massively underrated. It has been in the top 10 UK unis in all three rankings; The Guardian, The Times and the Complete University Guide for the past 3 or 4 years. Yet this is often overlooked. Durham is excellent too. I would choose based on which I liked the feel of most.

Durham does seem to be consistently high and youre right lancaster has been high recently but is that enough to win over the reputation durham has gained.
The impression I get is that you prefer Lancaster and want to be convinced that it is as good as Durham. If that is the case I think you should just go there, you would regret going to Durham if you really wanted to be at Lancaster.

It seems like Durham is more targeted by employers which helps with networking etc, which is why the starting salary tends to be higher. If you were applying for some random job I don't think you would get rejected because you 'only' went to Lancaster - the advantage of Durham is that there might be more opportunities to meet representatives from large companies and wangle an interview. The average starting salary from Durham maths is around £25k according to Unistats, whereas Lancaster is £19k, so there clearly is a difference for whatever reason.
Reply 28
Original post by Math-Magician
The impression I get is that you prefer Lancaster and want to be convinced that it is as good as Durham. If that is the case I think you should just go there, you would regret going to Durham if you really wanted to be at Lancaster.

It seems like Durham is more targeted by employers which helps with networking etc, which is why the starting salary tends to be higher. If you were applying for some random job I don't think you would get rejected because you 'only' went to Lancaster - the advantage of Durham is that there might be more opportunities to meet representatives from large companies and wangle an interview. The average starting salary from Durham maths is around £25k according to Unistats, whereas Lancaster is £19k, so there clearly is a difference for whatever reason.

I do really like the place of Lancaster but i really think Durham would be good for me. I really like the collage system and the beneifts that come from that. I think I am currently swaying more towards Durham but we'll see. You any closer to a decision?
I do really like the place of Lancaster but i really think Durham would be good for me. I really like the collage system and the beneifts that come from that. I think I am currently swaying more towards Durham but we'll see. You any closer to a decision?

I think I'm going to firm Durham tbh. I didn't warm to Warwick on the open day as much as I did to Durham - it just felt a bit less welcoming, and I'm not sure whether I'd be happy on an isolated campus, in a bubble. When I imagine what it would be like starting freshers week at Durham I get quite excited, whereas with Warwick I don't, and that surely can't be a good sign.

I think I'll be able to decide for sure in the next couple of weeks. :smile:
I'm studying Maths at Durham and I dispute what you say about the accommodation, Durham comes really high in rankings for accommodation. The course is challenging but it's worth it and it's really flexible, particularly if you want to keep up other subjects from A-Level. The collegiate structure is also really nice, each of the colleges have their own feel and it's just a great atmosphere to be a part of.
Reply 31
I think I'm going to firm Durham tbh. I didn't warm to Warwick on the open day as much as I did to Durham - it just felt a bit less welcoming, and I'm not sure whether I'd be happy on an isolated campus, in a bubble. When I imagine what it would be like starting freshers week at Durham I get quite excited, whereas with Warwick I don't, and that surely can't be a good sign.

Yeah that's got to be a good sign if you get excited over the thought of durham. Im hoping a final decision will come fairly soon too :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by adamjamjar
I'm studying Maths at Durham and I dispute what you say about the accommodation, Durham comes really high in rankings for accommodation. The course is challenging but it's worth it and it's really flexible, particularly if you want to keep up other subjects from A-Level. The collegiate structure is also really nice, each of the colleges have their own feel and it's just a great atmosphere to be a part of.

How challenging is it? Is it much of a step up from further maths? Is there a lot of places to go for help if youre stuck? So you don't have to do purely maths, you can pick modules from other subjects?
How challenging is it? Is it much of a step up from further maths? Is there a lot of places to go for help if youre stuck? So you don't have to do purely maths, you can pick modules from other subjects?

It depends which modules you did and how easy you found them. I went up to FP2 and didn't like that module so I'm finding it challenging but not too difficult. It's a step up but the first bits of the modules aren't very different from A-Level and there's a lot of cross-over between modules.

If you get stuck, you get given 'academic parents' which are basically students in the higher years that are there to help/support you. You can ask your lecturer if you don't understand and there are weekly tutorials so you can ask you tutor as well. There's plenty of support around.

I'm doing Maths as a degree but I'm currently doing a module in Spanish, I've got friends doing modules in Physics, Computer Science and French. I know I've got the option now to continue with Spanish for another few years and I think that you can with others. (They changed one of their policies so you can always do a language option, I think other subjects you can continue with it as long as you have done the modules required).
Reply 34
It depends which modules you did and how easy you found them. I went up to FP2 and didn't like that module so I'm finding it challenging but not too difficult. It's a step up but the first bits of the modules aren't very different from A-Level and there's a lot of cross-over between modules.

If you get stuck, you get given 'academic parents' which are basically students in the higher years that are there to help/support you. You can ask your lecturer if you don't understand and there are weekly tutorials so you can ask you tutor as well. There's plenty of support around.

I'm doing Maths as a degree but I'm currently doing a module in Spanish, I've got friends doing modules in Physics, Computer Science and French. I know I've got the option now to continue with Spanish for another few years and I think that you can with others. (They changed one of their policies so you can always do a language option, I think other subjects you can continue with it as long as you have done the modules required).

Im going up to FP3.
Have you never had a problem finding the help you needed then?
Also which college are you at?
Im going up to FP3.
Have you never had a problem finding the help you needed then?
Also which college are you at?

My friends who have done FP3 have found it helped a lot! :smile:
No, I've never had a problem, I've either asked friends, older students in my college or seen my tutors once or twice.
And I'm at Trevelyan College :smile:
Reply 36
My friends who have done FP3 have found it helped a lot! :smile:
No, I've never had a problem, I've either asked friends, older students in my college or seen my tutors once or twice.
And I'm at Trevelyan College :smile:

So although the degree is challenging its not too hard to do it and manage it :smile:
So although the degree is challenging its not too hard to do it and manage it :smile:

Yeah, I reckon so, if you put the work in then you can definitely manage it :smile:
Reply 38

Thought I should tell you that I have made a decision!!!! :smile: Ive firmed durham! I went for another walk round yesterday and I just felt comfortable there so that plus the other benefits made me decide to firm it
Thought I should tell you that I have made a decision!!!! :smile: Ive firmed durham! I went for another walk round yesterday and I just felt comfortable there so that plus the other benefits made me decide to firm it

Great - I'm still struggling to make a decision but I might see you in the autumn! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending