The Student Room Group

Is Britain a superpower?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by St. Brynjar
As one of the BRICS Russia is certainly powerful.

Original post by Hunter_scfc
Expand? :smile:
Serious inequality i will give you that. I still see them as a economic strength mainly because of their natural resources.

Russia whilst economically important is vastly overrated. It's average economic growth since 1996 has being around 4% which is good but nowhere close to the likes of China and India, additionally it's labour force is actually declining which will be a drain on growth, Mexico is probably a good nation to replace it when it comes to the current BRIC nations.

Original post by HumanSupremacist
Is the UK a superpower?

It seems the answer is no, no?

However, there is the legacy of it being a former superpower, wouldn't you say? For example, use of its legal system structure in various former colonies and the widespread use of English - to the extent that it is apparently the "international" language and most widely used/understood; although various languages like Mandarin Chinese is popular.

So, following the fall of the British Empire, is Britain nearing the shadows? Some of its former colonies or territories or areas where it had "influence" are succeeding very well, even more so than modern-day Britain itself - for example, of course, the United States, and then there's China and then there's India (whose economy grew massively last year, whilst ours grew by 0.000000x%) and Hong Kong etc etc

I particularly ask this question as I recently read the "Why is Britain leading the EU" thread in this forum and indeed, why isn't Britain leading Europe, when Germany is, which managed to advance successfully, even after a war where it suffered terribly towards the end and had to pay great reparations.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

The UK is not a superpower because of a series of political errors, namely the fact that no Imperial Federation was created and the fact that we have shy'd away from union with France and now the EU (declining or not the EU unified would be a superpower).

In terms of legacy i would say that we do very well and that along with Spanish and Mandarin we have the most popular language (French is apparently dying).

Economically the UK can cope against its developed rivals however politically we will increasingly become an irrelevance given that the Anglosphere is a non-starter, the Commonwealth will not become a political union and we shy away from the EU. In 2050 i have doubts as to whether the UK will have a place on the UNSC for example with the dominant powers by then being the USA, China, India, South America (if they actually go ahead with their proposed integration) and the EU. There seems little reason to assume that the UK alone would be regarded important enough to have a permanent seat.
Original post by jacketpotato
It is misleading to think to countries in terms of "us" and "them". That wording pretends that countries are like people. In fact, they are just big groups of people. A country like the UK with 60 million people is never going to stay more powerful than a country of 1billion people like China or India. It was inevitable that this would happen once other countries started to develop.

We are still a great power and probably the world's most powerful cultural superpower, go to any country in Asia and it is common to see people wearing union jack T-shirts.

Common indeed- but believe me many of them know not whence said shirts come from.

Your first point is right - but your rationale is incorrect. Your message is correct because economic production is gradually switching from knowledge capital abundance favoured to labour abundance favoured
Reply 42
Original post by jamesrobbo1
Political cooperation does not necessarily follow on from economic - just look at the countless despotic regimes Western states sponser via economic cooperation; this despite not towing democratic values etc.

It's true that it does not always but that is the general trend in the world today. South American countries have formed a customs union with the express goal of political union. East African countries (Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda) have stated their intention to form an East African Federation, the EU whether the UK is in it or not will become a federation and a few west African countries are forming monetary union with Nigeria.

Small sovereign nation states are going to be the past, increasingly we are moving to regional governance.

Original post by DaveSmith99
Political and economic co-operation go hand in hand though. Look at how France acted after WW2, it tied Germany town with the ECSC, it used economic co-operation to bring political co-operation. I'm fairly drunk so I'm probably failing massively at explaining myself coherently, but I just wrote an essay on a similar subject so I will come and explain myself better tomorrow.

It seems according to leaked papers that before running to Germany, France suggested union with us post-Suez. By rejecting them, we handed the chalice of power to Germany.
Original post by Rakas21
It's true that it does not always but that is the general trend in the world today. South American countries have formed a customs union with the express goal of political union. East African countries (Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda) have stated their intention to form an East African Federation, the EU whether the UK is in it or not will become a federation and a few west African countries are forming monetary union with Nigeria.

Small sovereign nation states are going to be the past, increasingly we are moving to regional governance.

It seems according to leaked papers that before running to Germany, France suggested union with us post-Suez. By rejecting them, we handed the chalice of power to Germany.

Im not talking about regional talking shops - Im talking about international relations. The polis of a target state has no real impact on whether we will purchase oil from them - or even sell them arms. Regional integration is one thing - international accordance is on a whole other planet. You are working on the assumption that the whole world is playing to your philosophy.

RE franco-british pact thing - you can find papers on just about anything, does not really mean a whole lot
Reply 44
Only the US is a superpower.

We are amongst the great powers. Alongside (IMO) France, Germany, China, Russia and India.
Original post by darsen
Only the US is a superpower.

We are amongst the great powers. Alongside (IMO) France, Germany, China, Russia and India.

RUSSIA>us
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Hahaha, haha, ha, no.

Ever since it joined the EU, it became Germany's puppet.
Original post by DaniilKaya
RUSSIA>us is a motherf*cker

Utter Rubbish from you as always Kaya.

Original post by Faberry
Hahaha, haha, ha, no.

Ever since it joined the EU, it became Germany's puppet.

Yeah German puppet always following German policy...what a load of codswallop you talk woman.
Reply 48
Utter Rubbish from you as always Kaya.

Yeah German puppet always following German policy...what a load of codswallop you talk woman.

I can't hear you over the UK paying EU taxes endorsed by Germany.

Oh yeah, manufacturing companies HAVE to pay EU taxes which doesn't even benefit any aspect of the UK. No wonder companies have moved elsewhere.
Reply 49
It's all about America...they have this....a radar and anti missile ship. Imagine it coming towards you in a war!

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Just look at it

I wish I was American....no wonder they're all brash and cocky.
Original post by Faberry
I can't hear you over the UK paying EU taxes endorsed by Germany.

Oh yeah, manufacturing companies HAVE to pay EU taxes which doesn't even benefit any aspect of the UK. No wonder companies have moved elsewhere.

The EU will be the only viable option for future minnows such as Germany and France to stay relevant. Together we can be the greatest civilization and super power that ever lived.

Your one sided argument contra the EU is typical. Just quoting a tax, well done to you my little cynic. You are ten a penny. Give me an example of a company that has relocated for this particular reason. You sound like you are informed via HELLO magazine.
Reply 52
The EU will be the only viable option for future minnows such as Germany and France to stay relevant. Together we can be the greatest civilization and super power that ever lived.

Your one sided argument contra the EU is typical. Just quoting a tax, well done to you my little cynic. You are ten a penny. Give me an example of a company that has relocated for this particular reason. You sound like you are informed via HELLO magazine.

Why should I provide an example? Educate yourself, you certainly need it.
Is the UK a superpower?

It seems the answer is no, no?

However, there is the legacy of it being a former superpower, wouldn't you say? For example, use of its legal system structure in various former colonies and the widespread use of English - to the extent that it is apparently the "international" language and most widely used/understood; although various languages like Mandarin Chinese is popular.

So, following the fall of the British Empire, is Britain nearing the shadows? Some of its former colonies or territories or areas where it had "influence" are succeeding very well, even more so than modern-day Britain itself - for example, of course, the United States, and then there's China and then there's India (whose economy grew massively last year, whilst ours grew by 0.000000x%) and Hong Kong etc etc

I particularly ask this question as I recently read the "Why is Britain leading the EU" thread in this forum and indeed, why isn't Britain leading Europe, when Germany is, which managed to advance successfully, even after a war where it suffered terribly towards the end and had to pay great reparations.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

China has never been the British colony...
Original post by Faberry
Why should I provide an example? Educate yourself, you certainly need it.

You provide a ****ty anecdote: "dem gurmans can control us cus dey make dem taxes and i cant paint enuff art cus of dat and de maufacturers relokate oversees cus of dem taxes i dun told u about"
Original post by Londonburger
China has never been the British colony...

No, but it did have considerable influence in large parts, as I clearly stated in the previous line - that it was an area where the British were established.
Original post by McHumpy92
It's all about America...they have this....a radar and anti missile ship. Imagine it coming towards you in a war!

What is that? :curious:
It is if we coin terms like mega power, hyper power and ultra power for the countries more powerful than us.

A giant puffball on an oil rig by the looks of it.
Reply 59

It's basically a radar and anti missile ship...so isn't stationary or a platform. It is enormous, compare it to the ships next to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-based_X-band_Radar

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending