The Student Room Group

sitting an exam paper as a private candidate?

I have literally only just decided exactly what i want to do a university, which is optometry.

Now, for my A- levels, i am doing French, Biology and Art.
I am achieving an A in art and a B in biology but i am only getting a C in french.

The only course in the country that offers optometry with a preliminary year (those with a minimal scientific background, i did not take two sciences) is cardiff, and for that course they want ABB.

I have a feeling i won't be able to achieve a B in french, I absolutely hate the exam papers.

I know that at my sixth form, people have returned to sit papers as private candidates. I don't want to have to stay on another year at my sixth form.

how expensive would it be to resit a wjec paper as a private candidate?
Reply 1
Not expensive at all, I can't exactly renember but I think less than £30...
Reply 2
Original post by pandabird
Not expensive at all, I can't exactly renember but I think less than £30...

really? thats cheap. one of my friends said it was insanely expensive so it got me worrying.
Reply 3
Original post by KrelboyneChic
really? thats cheap. one of my friends said it was insanely expensive so it got me worrying.

The exam fee is cheap - however the exam centre can charge whatever they like for providing the service so you need to talk to your exams officer about what you would be charged.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4

Yeah I was surprised. Although I sat mine privately at my old school, do you think you'd be able to do that? If you go to another exam centre there might be extra admin charges.
I have literally only just decided exactly what i want to do a university, which is optometry.

I am achieving an A in art and a B in biology but i am only getting a C in french.

The only course in the country that offers optometry with a preliminary year (those with a minimal scientific background, i did not take two sciences) is cardiff, and for that course they want ABB.

I have a feeling i won't be able to achieve a B in french, I absolutely hate the exam papers.

I know that at my sixth form, people have returned to sit papers as private candidates. I don't want to have to stay on another year at my sixth form.

When I sat private exams in London I paid about £80 an exam

Any chance you could get some tutoring as that might get your grade up? You probably hate the papers because you aren't doing well in them.

If you don't want to stay at your current 6th form you could possibly go to another and do a science A level in a year. It's hard but might be possible. Or pick up a couple of AS sciences.

You pay the normal exam fee as a private candidate plus any extra fee the exam centre charges for their admin - your own school probably wouldn't charge an admin fee but they can charge what they like, make sure you agree it in writing first.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by pandabird
Yeah I was surprised. Although I sat mine privately at my old school, do you think you'd be able to do that? If you go to another exam centre there might be extra admin charges.

yeah i should be able to sit privately at my old school, hopefully they won't charge me admin :s
Reply 8
Original post by parentlurker
Any chance you could get some tutoring as that might get your grade up? You probably hate the papers because you aren't doing well in them.

If you don't want to stay at your current 6th form you could possibly go to another and do a science A level in a year. It's hard but might be possible. Or pick up a couple of AS sciences.

You pay the normal exam fee as a private candidate plus any extra fee the exam centre charges for their admin - your own school probably wouldn't charge an admin fee but they can charge what they like, make sure you agree it in writing first.

i applied to do an art foundation course and i have got an offer from there and i accepted it. i looking at it as a sort of gap year filled with art before my degree :smile: i'm hoping to get a good grade in french as i'm just bad at the papers. i got a breakdown of my marks, and for the first half of the paper i got a U and for the essay part (worth 35 marks) i got 32, which is equivilant to an A. it's so frustrating. i think whilst i do my art foundation, i'll study hard on my french and resit the paper and TRY to get a B. i'm really determined. i'm also planning to get work experience at an opticians so im no sure if that'll be in my favour and help me get in. and i dont think i can afford private tuition :frown:

I've just read some of the other answers, trust me it will not be as low as £30, if you were sitting the paper at your centre it would cost £20-30 but as an external candidate there is a lot of extra admin so the centre will add on costs. I've sat some papers as a private candidate and it cost me £80 per paper but some of my friends did the same paper elsewhere for £65 so it does vary from centre to centre so definitely shop around. I would say £65-80 is reasonable per paper, I've seen some centres charge as much as £120 but that's just them trying to take as much money as possible so I would steer clear of them. Make sure you get in before the deadline though because things get even more expensive if you miss it.
Depends if you have to pay for invigilator fees. For the STEP papers I am sitting (3 hours each) it stands at £82.50 per paper for invigilator fees + the cost of re sitting the paper (£42.50). Normally A-level papers are only £25 though.
Reply 11
Original post by Rainingshame
Depends if you have to pay for invigilator fees. For the STEP papers I am sitting (3 hours each) it stands at £82.50 per paper for invigilator fees + the cost of re sitting the paper (£42.50). Normally A-level papers are only £25 though.

Must get a job there as an invigilator if they are paying £27 an hour, we only pay ours £7.50!
i applied to do an art foundation course and i have got an offer from there and i accepted it. i looking at it as a sort of gap year filled with art before my degree :smile: i'm hoping to get a good grade in french as i'm just bad at the papers. i got a breakdown of my marks, and for the first half of the paper i got a U and for the essay part (worth 35 marks) i got 32, which is equivilant to an A. it's so frustrating. i think whilst i do my art foundation, i'll study hard on my french and resit the paper and TRY to get a B. i'm really determined. i'm also planning to get work experience at an opticians so im no sure if that'll be in my favour and help me get in. and i dont think i can afford private tuition :frown:

I don't know how competitive the course is but for their normal 3 year course they have 450 applicants for 90 places. So the minimum requirement stated on their website may not be enough.

You could possibly find a student at a local university who would tutor you for 10 -15 pounds an hour if you go to them. Many students are keen to earn a little money so an ad on their departmental notice board would probably get replies. A professional tutor would cost a lot more.
Reply 13
All of the people that have paid £50+ per exam are seriously being conned. I changed my mind about what I wanted to do at uni and have sat exams since in 3 different centres as an external candidate and the most I've ever paid is £24 per exam + £10 administration fee. I mean I didn't have to pay for an invigilator because I did it at a school that already did the same subject so I just went in with their students. But they had said that if I did it would be £6.20 an hour so for a 2 hour exam that would have been £12.40 so £36.40 altogether. I mean the actual papers, at least on AQA, rarely cost more than £25. Science are only about £12.50 each or something.

So honestly don't worry, if you find a decent place to do them they'll take you because they want to help you, not to make a crap load of money out of you. So they should only charge you for the actual exams (you can look online and see how much they should cost) plus maybe £10-30 for administration which to be honest I would have offered anyway because I think if they're helping you out it's only polite to offer them something for it.

There is no way in hell I'd pay £120 for an exam. I'm sorry but they're making over £100 profit per exam basically with that kind of money. If you're doing 4-5 exams that's about £500. Schools like that shouldn't be allowed to take external candidates because they're obviously taking advantage of them and just using them to make money.

Sorry a bit OT but things like that really make me angry. I hate hearing schools taking advantage of people that want to better themselves either by doing other qualifications or trying to improve their grades.

Anyway rant over. :wink: Hope you find somewhere or that your old school takes you.
Reply 14
Original post by Feu Fleur
All of the people that have paid £50+ per exam are seriously being conned. I changed my mind about what I wanted to do at uni and have sat exams since in 3 different centres as an external candidate and the most I've ever paid is £24 per exam + £10 administration fee. I mean I didn't have to pay for an invigilator because I did it at a school that already did the same subject so I just went in with their students. But they had said that if I did it would be £6.20 an hour so for a 2 hour exam that would have been £12.40 so £36.40 altogether. I mean the actual papers, at least on AQA, rarely cost more than £25. Science are only about £12.50 each or something.

So honestly don't worry, if you find a decent place to do them they'll take you because they want to help you, not to make a crap load of money out of you. So they should only charge you for the actual exams (you can look online and see how much they should cost) plus maybe £10-30 for administration which to be honest I would have offered anyway because I think if they're helping you out it's only polite to offer them something for it.

There is no way in hell I'd pay £120 for an exam. I'm sorry but they're making over £100 profit per exam basically with that kind of money. If you're doing 4-5 exams that's about £500. Schools like that shouldn't be allowed to take external candidates because they're obviously taking advantage of them and just using them to make money.

Sorry a bit OT but things like that really make me angry. I hate hearing schools taking advantage of people that want to better themselves either by doing other qualifications or trying to improve their grades.

Anyway rant over. :wink: Hope you find somewhere or that your old school takes you.

thanks your your reply! i went and asked my school, they said they don' take external candidates at all, however they do take their old students so yay!! and it doesnt cost any more than it would just to resit if i was still at the 6th form :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Feu Fleur

Do you know any place in London that does it for cheap?
Campbell Harris charge £70 a paper
If i do like 6 8 exams thats almost £600. WTF
Reply 16
Hi, I paid £30 to use the exam hall and £45 for the same. A bit costly for the cost of the exam but it's all worth it.
Reply 17
Original post by Wired_In
Hi, I paid £30 to use the exam hall and £45 for the same. A bit costly for the cost of the exam but it's all worth it.

Huh what do you mean? how much did you pay and where did you do it

Latest