The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Troll Toll
The other problem with tournaments is that you play most of them with a short stack, which means fewer decisions. Good players want to maximise the number of decisions they make because every time they make one they can be making a better one than their opponents (also why top SC2 players want to play macro instead of all-in styles). Bad players want to play 10bbs deep where the only decision is shove or fold because it's much harder to realise an edge in those situations. That's why cash players call them donkaments.

You kidding me?!

10bb was an art form! It ripped apart the regs for a while!! Back in the day when people opened the pot pretty light it was so easy for a 10bb stack to force either a fold or a likely 50% shot. It was more profitable than you believe....

Tournaments are also an art form. They are beatable. I think there is more of an edge in tournaments because a lot more people enter simply to "take a shot". On cash you get the regs who play TAG and solid poker.
Original post by Stevo112
I would start off with $150 and play the $1.50 sng games on pokerstars, see if you can beat them over about 1000 games.

If you 20 table (ABC poker) then you should be able to polish off at least 100 a day. You should be aiming for around 5 to 10% ROI so 7.5c to 15c profit per $1.50 game.

I used to use 20x my buyin/liabilities as a rule of thumb, so when playing 20 tables of $1.50 your liabilities are $30 so you'd need $600

BUT most people just go off buyin, so if you play $1.50 buyin games then you have to have 20x $1.50 or $30 in your bankroll AT LEAST

I used to use liabilities because some hands can pure tilt you and cause a huge downswing in your results and your errors are magnified.

Of course, my advice is a bit outdated, it might be harder these days to make money but that was my rule of thumb
sngs at the $7+ level are packed full of regs playing solid ICM unexploitable poker. even the $3.50 level these days have a lot of solid regs in them. edges in sngs are negligible with shorter stacks and variance is large. much of the money comes from rakeback and bonuses. the trouble is rakeback and bonuses are poor until you hit supernova.

6max hyper turbos and heads up hyper turbos are most popular these days.
You kidding me?!

10bb was an art form! It ripped apart the regs for a while!! Back in the day when people opened the pot pretty light it was so easy for a 10bb stack to force either a fold or a likely 50% shot. It was more profitable than you believe....

Tournaments are also an art form. They are beatable. I think there is more of an edge in tournaments because a lot more people enter simply to "take a shot". On cash you get the regs who play TAG and solid poker.

I'm not saying playing short has no skill, I'm saying it has less skill than playing deep. If you're playing 10bb deep by choice in a cash game you are just ridiculously exploitable by anyone who actually tries. If you were exploiting people who didn't adjust then that's fine, but you could have exploited them by playing 100bbs deep too. The difference is you could have exploited their bad play on four streets instead of one, and actually got paid when you hit a hand.
Original post by Movember
sngs at the $7+ level are packed full of regs playing solid ICM unexploitable poker. even the $3.50 level these days have a lot of solid regs in them. edges in sngs are negligible with shorter stacks and variance is large. much of the money comes from rakeback and bonuses. the trouble is rakeback and bonuses are poor until you hit supernova.

6max hyper turbos and heads up hyper turbos are most popular these days.

I used to 10% ROI the $7 and $15 27/45 man games a few years ago over about 20k games (was a bigger live player tho)

I think you are right though, pretty tight now. I recently did a batch of about 1k sngs and ran at maybe 2% ROI (few dollars on the sng leaderboard on stars) but it is so much tougher now.

I do ok in HU hyper omaha games these days, just gotta play hyper aggro/smallball and peel off the announced AAxx hands etc.
Original post by The Troll Toll
I'm not saying playing short has no skill, I'm saying it has less skill than playing deep. If you're playing 10bb deep by choice in a cash game you are just ridiculously exploitable by anyone who actually tries. If you were exploiting people who didn't adjust then that's fine, but you could have exploited them by playing 100bbs deep too. The difference is you could have exploited their bad play on four streets instead of one, and actually got paid when you hit a hand.

The only exploitable 10bb people are those who don't have money behind them. It really can swing the other way though, especially considering MOST hands are 50-50 ish pre-flop and MOST hands where a reg is ahead pre-flop = a fold pre-flop to an all in.

It was a breath of fresh air tbh, because people were getting progressively better at playing deep
Reply 545
Do you think I should start a dedicated sports betting thread?

I have no problem with you guys talking about poker, but it is a whole different topic and the topic seems to change rather a lot in here.

I also feel somewhat bad about the fact that we are having these discussions in a thread that was started because someone had a bad experience with betting.
Original post by pane123
Do you think I should start a dedicated sports betting thread?

I have no problem with you guys talking about poker, but it is a whole different topic and the topic seems to change rather a lot in here.

I also feel somewhat bad about the fact that we are having these discussions in a thread that was started because someone had a bad experience with betting.

the title is "lost money gambling" and poker is a form of gambling :rolleyes:
Reply 547
It was an innocent question to see if folk would be interested.

Not everyone here is on looking for an argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pane123

Posted from TSR Mobile

me neither...

but to be totally honest this thread should have been closed a long time ago as talking about sports betting is identical to talking about poker in that they both don't relate to the original topic.,
Reply 549
the title is "lost money gambling" and poker is a form of gambling :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 550
me neither...

but to be totally honest this thread should have been closed a long time ago as talking about sports betting is identical to talking about poker in that they both don't relate to the original topic.,

Which is why asked about starting a separate thread in the first place.

It really is unbelievable on here. You try to help and the next thing you know you're being shot down.

It just seems to be a constant flow of people trying to be smarter than the last poster and I'm done with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pane123
Which is why asked about starting a separate thread in the first place.

It really is unbelievable on here. You try to help and the next thing you know you're being shot down.

It just seems to be a constant flow of people trying to be smarter than the last poster and I'm done with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should search for a thread called "Betting Tips & Discussion"

also, you shouldn't presume that people are "shooting you down" rather that people are giving you some good input.
You should search for a thread called "Betting Tips & Discussion"

also, you shouldn't presume that people are "shooting you down" rather that people are giving you some good input.

True say, people on here are going to argue about anything.

We are pretty constructive on this thread and having said that there is productive things been spoken about in here then that other thread.... all they talk about is is £1 accas....if you do that all day long your going to lose very badly.

Again I gave 2/3 in Baseball.....i ran about 74% last year

The Mariners got done. 4-3
Kansas closing out the phillies 3-1
Angels murdered texas 8-4

I went 3 x £100 stakes on these.

Also my earlier tip in the week Louisville Cardinals in march madness....when they were 7/2 they won and are in the finals monday. Now they will be such an odds on shot to win. If OLLIELEAKE and other idiots other there made sensible plays, they wouldn't be gambling stupidly.

Handicap Serena tomorrow, its license to print money.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Playing games like roulette is pants on head retarded, you're not going to make any money out of it, do the maths. I think the only acceptable form of gambling is poker, and even then you shouldn't put real money into it unti you know the game; You will lose money when you first start playing, everyone does.

poker is rubbish imo, sports betting is the best

arsenal was 2.05 today, odds way in value, max£200 though

watch for man city value
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 554
we learn about this kind of behavior in psychology and the more you gamble the more it sucks you in. your chances of loosing is much larger than your chances of winning because these games are designed to give you the illusion that you could take away money but even if you do you are likely to come back and loose that money, so in a way you are pretty much robbing you of your cash whilst giving you false hope, this is a very dark path you seem to be taking i would advise getting some help or support. pathological gambling is a serious risk and people most of the time have their lives ruined by letting these betting shops prey on their greed but in the end the only one who looses something is you.
I kind of like this thread as it is. I like mixing with the sports bettors.
Original post by SloaneRanger
True say, people on here are going to argue about anything.

We are pretty constructive on this thread and having said that there is productive things been spoken about in here then that other thread.... all they talk about is is £1 accas....if you do that all day long your going to lose very badly.

Again I gave 2/3 in Baseball.....i ran about 74% last year

The Mariners got done. 4-3
Kansas closing out the phillies 3-1
Angels murdered texas 8-4

I went 3 x £100 stakes on these.

Also my earlier tip in the week Louisville Cardinals in march madness....when they were 7/2 they won and are in the finals monday. Now they will be such an odds on shot to win. If OLLIELEAKE and other idiots other there made sensible plays, they wouldn't be gambling stupidly.

Handicap Serena tomorrow, its license to print money.

Have you ever had a bad run?
Original post by fat_hobbit

On the subject of bad runs, this is how it typically happens when you gamble:

Today Milan were playing Florentina.

Florentina were 10 men down, at 2-0. They then out of nowhere score 2 and snatch a draw. (2 penalties)

Prior to this, Milan had no conceeded for 13 games.

Once again, the bookies get lucky.

Ended up having to cash my bets in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fat_hobbit

Yeah, loads i call going 1/2 a bad run very rarely 0-3..... quite often 3-3 in picks.... but our knowledge like with your analysis of basketball helps did you watch the indiana game yesterday v washington expected them to come back. I took the Heat v Philaladephia when they were down yesterday.
Original post by SloaneRanger
Yeah, loads i call going 1/2 a bad run very rarely 0-3..... quite often 3-3 in picks.... but our knowledge like with your analysis of basketball helps did you watch the indiana game yesterday v washington expected them to come back. I took the Heat v Philaladephia when they were down yesterday.

yeah i won the heat game.

I had a lot on the heat, but i started hedging because there was always a 5 point diff. But I made a 100 (which I just lost, thanks to Milan)

Indiana was SHOCKING, had to hedge. They played like absolute ****.

I fancy the knicks tonight at +8.

If they will lose, it will be by 4-5 points imo.

Latest

Trending

Trending