The Student Room Group

MPhil in Management - University of Cambridge 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by andtyau
My status just changed to "awaiting decision by the BOGs"
Good luck to everyone! I guess they'll be sending out a lot of offers in the next little while!

can you tell us your profile and when you applied please?:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
My application just updated to "application with degree committee" !! Fingers crossed! Congrats to those so far with offers and good luck to all. cheers
Original post by Hanshen
Just to warn you chaps/chapettes, as someone on the course a lot of people aren't happy with the standard of teaching nor the general quality of the course. I was fortunate enough to gain a scholarship, so I'm not too fussed, however it is an extremely tedious course and isn't enormously stimulating. The teaching, even down to the rooms you are assigned for lectures, is always second to the MBAs. It basically seems as if you don't get much for your money, yet you do get the Cambridge brand name so it's very much up to you guys. Quite a few people have found work but many others have really struggled. The careers centre is a real bonus, i'd very much encourage those who do receive offers/accept them to utilize it while at Cambridge.

Another tip that may be a little late now, is don't expect to gain entry to many traditional colleges for this course. Quite a few colleges see the business school as a bit of a sideline, and many end up in Darwin, Wolfson, Clare Hall, etc.

Nevertheless I don't regret coming to Cambridge, and certainly would do it again given the chance. Although I perhaps would be slightly more reluctant to opt to study for this particular MPhil.

I don't want to piss on anyone's chips here anyway. All the best, and good luck on your applications for those still waiting to hear back. They can take an absolute age to reply. Don't for a minute think that implies that you won't get a place. The BoGS is a mysterious entity that seems to operate to its own deadlines, which are seemingly anytime in the next millennia. Offers go out until the very last minute, so keep your chin's up!

Thanks a lot for that! I'm disappointed that you say you find the course tediousus.. Also, I know it's Cambridge but... Is there an outrageous amount of work to do?
Reply 83
Original post by Hanshen
Just to warn you chaps/chapettes, as someone on the course a lot of people aren't happy with the standard of teaching nor the general quality of the course. I was fortunate enough to gain a scholarship, so I'm not too fussed, however it is an extremely tedious course and isn't enormously stimulating. The teaching, even down to the rooms you are assigned for lectures, is always second to the MBAs. It basically seems as if you don't get much for your money, yet you do get the Cambridge brand name so it's very much up to you guys. Quite a few people have found work but many others have really struggled. The careers centre is a real bonus, i'd very much encourage those who do receive offers/accept them to utilize it while at Cambridge.

Another tip that may be a little late now, is don't expect to gain entry to many traditional colleges for this course. Quite a few colleges see the business school as a bit of a sideline, and many end up in Darwin, Wolfson, Clare Hall, etc.

Nevertheless I don't regret coming to Cambridge, and certainly would do it again given the chance. Although I perhaps would be slightly more reluctant to opt to study for this particular MPhil.

I don't want to piss on anyone's chips here anyway. All the best, and good luck on your applications for those still waiting to hear back. They can take an absolute age to reply. Don't for a minute think that implies that you won't get a place. The BoGS is a mysterious entity that seems to operate to its own deadlines, which are seemingly anytime in the next millennia. Offers go out until the very last minute, so keep your chin's up!

Hey Hanshen thanks for the info. Can you give more information about career prospects? I think that's the most important aspect for all of us hoping to go there. How is the career service effective? Do they help you with mock interviews and such? Also, are students placing in top companies like Mckinsey, Goldman Sachs, BCG & others as stated on the website?
Reply 84
Original post by Hanshen
x

Hey - I remember all the angst you went through waiting for your offer last year so sorry it hasn't quite been what you expected :frown: (although I do wonder to what extent the tedium of the course is due to the subject matter - I did a couple of management modules at undergrad and found them extremely tedious!)

Was just wondering if you want to elaborate on when you actually got your offer - I don't recall when it was other than that it was late - which might also help give some people here a bit of perspective?

Anyway glad you seem to be looking at the bright side despite the disappointment with the course!
Reply 85
Original post by Hanshen

Could you go into more detail regarding the quality of the course? I think it's pretty clear that this is not an MBA programme, so I wouldn't expect it to be at the same level. And while you say in the beginning that the course is not that great overall, you still say that you'd do it again. So it can't be that bad? I talked to a couple of people and they seem to like the programme, saying that it's neither too theoretical nor too practical. Also, is it really the programme's fault that people have difficulties finding jobs? I mean it's not as if employers across all countries know that the course sucks, is it?
I really don't know what to think of the programme and I'm one of the people who wouldn't go there on scholarship if I'd choose to accept the offer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Any of you lot actually applying out of an interest in the subject, or do you just think 'Cambridge' will look prestigious on the CV?

I've yet to meet a 'Management' grad who actually studied for the sake of study and not their job.
Reply 87
Original post by Azarimanka
Any of you lot actually applying out of an interest in the subject, or do you just think 'Cambridge' will look prestigious on the CV?

I've yet to meet a 'Management' grad who actually studied for the sake of study and not their job.

I'd say it doesn't matter if the university brand gives you an advantage or not (would be nice of course), as long as the degree you get doesn't diminish your chances to get the job you're looking for. So unless teaching is really bad AND employers tend to avoid graduates of this programme, I'd go for it. I wouldn't throw out 20k in tuition fees just for the name, though.
Original post by Hanshen
It is indeed very competitive. We have quite a few 4.0 guys and girls from Ivy's etc. it's pretty hardcore. That said, that certainly isn't the norm. As for the whole mostly uk graduates, that simply isn't true. Around 20-25% are from the uk, the rest tend to be overseas. Many are overseas graduates from other uk unis though, such as imperial.

Yea because UK people rightly don't view 'management' as a proper subject.
Reply 89
Original post by Hanshen
Hello again guys. I don't really want to give away any info that might identify me (just in case) but I'd be happy to answer any more personal queries via pm. As for your questions I'll do my best to answer.

As far as I'm aware very few people are thrilled with the course. It just seems as if we are a sideline to the MBA programme to an extent.

The work load is what you make of it. If you are one of those people who can 'blag' you won't struggle. The finance and quant modules in the first term are the only ones which are found extremely difficult. Around 25% will fail one or both. The business school are aware of it and it happens year on year, if that does happen don't worry, there is plenty of time to catch up. To be honest I do very little work and do well (touch wood, we have exams in a couple of weeks!).

As for career prospects, as someone has already said, it's the individual that gets you a job. If you want some examples of places I know people are going, we have a couple going into banking, one to Oliver wyman, a couple to BCG, others to various other high profile companies. It's certainly not all bad, I do know however that others have struggled. To be honest, if you go to Cambridge you get the careers centre... They are unbelievably good. I really can't stress that enough. They are the only people I have ever known to be able to "polish a turd" as they say in the uk, they certainly did so with me! They do indeed do mock interviews and case studies, but the business school don't provide much help in this area. It has in fact, been raised as a point of dissatisfaction with the course directors. Not everyone places in top companies however, please bare in mind that the course will not let you walk into Goldman or McKinsey. Those who are clearly Goldman material will get into Goldman. Although I would say that this course certainly could get you to the testing stage. If you are smart enough to pass those, then the rest is up to you.

The subject matter is not great and some lecturers are better than others. That is to be expected, but to put this into perspective I've studied at LSE and other uk unis and they are fairly similar.

Most if not all of the people on the course this year come from pretty decent unis, think top 10 in the national context. We have a couple from brown, 3 or 4 from Stanford, etc. So you'll at least be in good company should you get an offer.

I've really tried to show the best bits of the course, but really the best thing about it is Cambridge and the colleges. I got extremely lucky and am one of the few who managed to not only get into a great college but also college accommodation! (I'm a lucky sod). The course may not be the greatest course you could do for content and enjoyment, but it's management, it's never going to be riveting. It is Cambridge though, and that easily makes up for it, even if it doesn't feel that way sometimes.

My offer last year advanced in late march and my final college placement was probably mid to late April or perhaps even later, I can't remember exactly off the top of my head. I panicked regarding whether or not I'd get a place due to the lateness of the offer and ended up with a scholarship, so please don't give up even if you haven't heard back yet!

I'm not sure if it's worth 20k, that very much comes down to your own situation, perceived values and opportunity cost. The present value will never be the same to everyone.

Is there anything else I can help with? If so don't hesitate to ask, but I do need to do some revision at some stage so could be slow to reply. If you need any mo personal opinion stuff I'd much rather do it over pm, or a group message if that's possible. Either way, if you need me just give me a shout.

Hi, I'm not from England and the college system is a bit hazy to me. When you say you were lucky enough to get college accommodation - I don't really understand. I understand some might get into 'crappy' colleges but I thought if you get into a college you get to live there in a room inside? Can anyone explain this? Still 'under consideration by dept' too btw :frown:
Reply 90
Original post by Hanshen
The work load is what you make of it. If you are one of those people who can 'blag' you won't struggle. The finance and quant modules in the first term are the only ones which are found extremely difficult. Around 25% will fail one or both. The business school are aware of it and it happens year on year, if that does happen don't worry, there is plenty of time to catch up. To be honest I do very little work and do well (touch wood, we have exams in a couple of weeks!).

Thank you very much for all the insight you're providing! Could you tell me what the general options are when one fails one of these exams? Do you have to extend your studies, is it possible to retake etc.?
Reply 91
Received a conditional offer! Good luck to all and for those who have been accepted see you next year!
Reply 92
Does anyone know approximately when scholarship offers will be determined?
Reply 93
Congrats to those who got an offer.....I applied as early as Oct, but still 'under consideration by dept', little hope to get a place I assume...
no news anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Reply 96
still under consideration by department! the wait is killing me. do you think we would have been told by now if we got a place (as opposed to say being a reserve of some sort)?
Original post by cmassey
still under consideration by department! the wait is killing me. do you think we would have been told by now if we got a place (as opposed to say being a reserve of some sort)?

i dont think so... also, has anyone been told they've been rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by ce303ce303
i dont think so... also, has anyone been told they've been rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some one emailed them and was told had been rejected.
Original post by verger
Some one emailed them and was told had been rejected.

Really??! Does that mean that although we are still at the department stage in camsis Cambridge may already know if we have been or not rejected? If so, shouldn't we also try emailing them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending