The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Can we reapply to the unis we have been rejected from post interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jenka

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to check with the individual uni's, as each have a different policy
Original post by Jenka

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check with the individual universities. I don't think Newcastle accept those who have been rejected post-interview, but I got rejected post-interview from St. Andrews last year.. I'm starting there in September :tongue:
Reply 143
Original post by ameelia22
YO HOMIES

I was suddenly acutely aware of this "there are no hca posts in my area" issue - and was wondering if, you had looked at the NHS jobs website, and rather than putting in any key terms, just put in your location, and any salaries up to 20k. This will show all the entry level jobs in your area.

Great advice, thanks so much! Now to just get applying to all the jobs haha!

Original post by Richyp22
Thanks that is so useful!!! found aload of jobs now.

I have to say I'm now getting quite excited about my gap year and reapplying!

Where are you guys thinking of applying? I'm thinking. Exter,plymouth,manchester,newcastle and leeds if the ukcat goes well. If doesn't go to plan BSMS,UAE,liverpool and st georges, maybe a few others. Anybody know of any places that give more points/advantage for having achieved grades?

I'm interested in finding out about this too. Thinking about where to apply is going to take a looong time for me, I'm so indecisive! And it's so difficult starting off with so many different options. I think I'll have to wait and see how my UKCAT goes (hopefully it'll be an improvement from 625 last year!) and then go from there.

I agree though, I'm definitely getting excited about starting to plan everything. This year is going to be the best. Anyone planning on going abroad to do anything?
Reply 144
What order are you guys planning to do stuff in? Eg, don't even think about ukcat/jobs etc until exams are over?
Original post by Kev.1995
What order are you guys planning to do stuff in? Eg, don't even think about ukcat/jobs etc until exams are over?

1. Applying for jobs whilst revising for exams
2. Get rat arsed every night after exams for a long period
3. Start a job
4. UKCAT intensive prep for 2.5 weeks
5. Finalise PS bearing in mind Universities chosen as a result of UKCAT
6. Recieve August results, take those into account with universities
7. Apply

8. learn to drive / buy a car / get a personal trainer to make me jessica ennis / start taking care of my skin / going to friends uni halls every other week in my new car / have to repair new car (which will probably 12 years old) / find myself poor / gather rest of savings and flee to another country
Reply 146
Original post by ameelia22
Clearly i've not had offers...

and yes it was my first time.

Nah, you don't need a healthcare related job, as has been said many times over on all work-experience threads, any sort of patient contact is good, caring environment etc, but being able to reflect on it is even better. I was just offering the info for anyone who wanted it.

Damn, I am sorry to hear about that. Did you have interviews? And if I may ask, where did you apply? And did you get your feedback yet?

My rejections were mainly because of my RIDICULOUS UKCAT score lol.

Its just so difficult to find ANY jobs these days!
Reply 147
Original post by msewell12
Leeds definetely does, although you should also have a strong UKCAT score if you choose to apply there, as they have the 2nd highest number of applicants out of all the medical schools
Most would prefer applicants with achieved grades-that's why so many more post a level applicants get offers now. If you have achieved AAA, that's good enough for most of them, with the possible exception of UCL where preference is given to applicants offering an A*

May I ask, if you know which universities give preference to those with achieved A*s at A levels?
Original post by Doctor123
May I ask, if you know which universities give preference to those with achieved A*s at A levels?

I think many universities just give you extra points for achieved grades. I know Queen Mary it does matter on your UCAS points score, so the more A*'s the better. QUB I think it also helps if you have A*'s. Bear in mind, some admissions criteria may chance between now and applications next year, and admissions criteria aren't always as clear cut as it may seem.
Reply 149

Off the top of my head: Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, Birmingham, Barts, Exeter and Plymouth.
Although UCL and Imperial give offers of AAA, the average A Levels achieved by those who are successful in obtaining offers is at least A*AA, potentially even higher.
Edinburgh is a common misconception-no preference given to those with A* at A levels
Reply 150
Original post by Nandos94
I think many universities just give you extra points for achieved grades. I know Queen Mary it does matter on your UCAS points score, so the more A*'s the better. QUB I think it also helps if you have A*'s. Bear in mind, some admissions criteria may chance between now and applications next year, and admissions criteria aren't always as clear cut as it may seem.

Thank you :smile: I was considering Queen Mary, do they put heavy emphasis on UKCAT and GCSEs?
Reply 151
Original post by msewell12
Off the top of my head: Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, Birmingham, Barts, Exeter and Plymouth.
Although UCL and Imperial give offers of AAA, the average A Levels achieved by those who are successful in obtaining offers is at least A*AA, potentially even higher.
Edinburgh is a common misconception-no preference given to those with A* at A levels

Oh right, thanks :smile:
I would also include Leicester; they give you extra points for each A* achieved.
Reply 152
Original post by Jenka
Looks like I'm going to be reapplying, 4 rejections from Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham and Exeter.

Does anyone have any advice about how to improve your personal statement? I'm going to try and get some voluntary work/work experience over the summer after I finish my exams but I'll be doing most stuff after I have sent off my reapplication. So should I write about what I am planning to do on my gap year? Otherwise I can't see my PS being majorly different except maybe rewording and things I've done in the summer.

Also anyone from South Wales got any tips on options for work experience/volunteering, it seems there are so few opportunities here, I've tried a couple of nursing/care homes but they aren't willing to take me on because they don't want to take the time to do all the checks etc :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know why exeter rejected you?
Reply 153
Original post by SamEastie
does anyone know which uni's don't accept reapplicants/dont accept reapplicants who have been rejected post interview?
can't seem to find the info anywhere.

Keele and Birmingham are two I am sure of in terms of considering people who were rejected post-interview
Reply 154
Original post by kate_pop
Hi everyone,

Just thought i'd contribute - applied Edinburgh, St Andrew's, Aberdeen and Leicester. 3 interviews. 4 rejections as of yesterday.

Hope everyone is okay - keep smiling, we can do this! :smile:

Sorry to hear about your rejections. May I ask if you had feedback? And where are you planning to apply this time round?
Reply 155
Hi I'm hoping someone on this thread can help me!

I assume you're all experienced in applying for medicine and can give me some advice.

I'm really interested I'm neuroscience etc and have been looking at neuroscience degrees and then possibly GEM but it has been recommended that I consider applying for undergrad medicine.

At the beginning of sixth form I was 100% sure I wanted to do law and I took AS levels in History, Economics, French, English Lit, Biology and Maths. I achieved 6 As at AS and I was advised to drop Bio and Maths for year 13 since I was applying for law and these were least relevant. However, recently I've had a huge change of heart and have realised that I do not want to do an essay based degree and I'm really missing studying science and maths.

After looking into things (specifically neuroscience) I've seen that I will need to complete my Biology and Maths a levels to follow this path. I will be doing a third year at sixth form in order to complete A2 Bio and Maths and I will be doing A level chemistry in one year. My school have told me they will predict me A*AA in Maths, Bio and Chem respectively, judging from my previous results. I'm not sure if I will be eligible for medicine after this year, but due to the fact I will be taking more a levels and not resisting any, a lot of people have told me it should be fine. I have emailed universities to query this.

Please can you advise me on whether I would stand a chance of getting into medicine? I don't want to take such a huge risk and still have no university place.

My academic profile at the time of applying (September 14)

GCSEs
9 A* 4 A (A* in Maths, English, Chem, Bio)

A levels
Achieved: A*A*AA (History, English Lit, French, Economics)
Predicted: A*AA (Maths, Bio, Chem)
I'm assuming I'd be given an offer of A*A or AA as one of my previous A levels would be taken into consideration?

Extra:
Gold D of E award
India world challenge
Worked in a care home (in year 11 - not sure if this counts)

Obviously I will be aiming to get more relevant work experience from now to October.

Do I stand a chance. Can you offer any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 156
Do you know why exeter rejected you?

I think it's because I had a B in my 4th AS but I'm not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Molly9
Hi I'm hoping someone on this thread can help me!

I assume you're all experienced in applying for medicine and can give me some advice.

I'm really interested I'm neuroscience etc and have been looking at neuroscience degrees and then possibly GEM but it has been recommended that I consider applying for undergrad medicine.

At the beginning of sixth form I was 100% sure I wanted to do law and I took AS levels in History, Economics, French, English Lit, Biology and Maths. I achieved 6 As at AS and I was advised to drop Bio and Maths for year 13 since I was applying for law and these were least relevant. However, recently I've had a huge change of heart and have realised that I do not want to do an essay based degree and I'm really missing studying science and maths.

After looking into things (specifically neuroscience) I've seen that I will need to complete my Biology and Maths a levels to follow this path. I will be doing a third year at sixth form in order to complete A2 Bio and Maths and I will be doing A level chemistry in one year. My school have told me they will predict me A*AA in Maths, Bio and Chem respectively, judging from my previous results. I'm not sure if I will be eligible for medicine after this year, but due to the fact I will be taking more a levels and not resisting any, a lot of people have told me it should be fine. I have emailed universities to query this.

Please can you advise me on whether I would stand a chance of getting into medicine? I don't want to take such a huge risk and still have no university place.

My academic profile at the time of applying (September 14)

GCSEs
9 A* 4 A (A* in Maths, English, Chem, Bio)

A levels
Achieved: A*A*AA (History, English Lit, French, Economics)
Predicted: A*AA (Maths, Bio, Chem)
I'm assuming I'd be given an offer of A*A or AA as one of my previous A levels would be taken into consideration?

Extra:
Gold D of E award
India world challenge
Worked in a care home (in year 11 - not sure if this counts)

Obviously I will be aiming to get more relevant work experience from now to October.

Do I stand a chance. Can you offer any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My best advice is to check with universities specifically as some (not all) require the applicant to sit their full A level within 2 years of study.

It's best to call the universities and talk to the admission officers personally. Something kinda similar to this caused me to be rejected from Sheffield because it wasn't said on their website so I assumed it didn't matter.
Reply 159
Original post by Jenka
I think it's because I had a B in my 4th AS but I'm not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

do they require 4A's at AS???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending