The Student Room Group

Scaffolding/industrial piercing !

I got my cartilage pierced today, it looks great but I'm concerned about keloids and hypertrophic scarring.This is my first piercing other than my lobes so I'm not sure what to expect. Is there any way I can reduce the risk other than salt water baths? I anticipate aching and a bit of bleeding but at what point should I be worried and go back to my piercer?
Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
Don't be concerned about keloids. You're probably not going to get them - if you were prone, you'd already know.

Don't fiddle with it. You need well fitting jewellery as if it's too long it's more likely to move or get bashed which means it's more likely to have problems. Too short is also bad, though. Be careful when brushing or washing your hair, and be really careful getting a haircut - make sure you tell them to avoid it, but it's probably best not to go for a while.
I had a scaffolding piercing and it ruined my ear. A5Rp-DUCYAAj6OB.jpg

After 6 months of it being a perfectly fine, well-cleaned piercing, that bubble on my ear started to develop. That was 2 years ago. 8 months ago I took it out and it's still there.

It's not my decision for you to get it pierced, but please realize that this is a very difficult, annoying piercing to have.
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
Don't be concerned about keloids. You're probably not going to get them - if you were prone, you'd already know.

Don't fiddle with it. You need well fitting jewellery as if it's too long it's more likely to move or get bashed which means it's more likely to have problems. Too short is also bad, though. Be careful when brushing or washing your hair, and be really careful getting a haircut - make sure you tell them to avoid it, but it's probably best not to go for a while.

Attachment not found

The bars slightly longer than my ear, hopefully that's alright. I don't think i'm going to be fiddling with it, it hurts like a bitch XD Will shampoo irritate it? Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by justmaddiehere
I had a scaffolding piercing and it ruined my ear. A5Rp-DUCYAAj6OB.jpg

After 6 months of it being a perfectly fine, well-cleaned piercing, that bubble on my ear started to develop. That was 2 years ago. 8 months ago I took it out and it's still there.

It's not my decision for you to get it pierced, but please realize that this is a very difficult, annoying piercing to have.

:O It could be hypertrophic scarring. Have you used anything or continued using salt solution on it since you removed the bar? I'm an idiot, I didn't check the risks of getting it done, but I'll wait and see what happens. Cheers for your help, I hope that bubble goes down!
Reply 5
Original post by Foreverneek
Attachment not found

The bars slightly longer than my ear, hopefully that's alright. I don't think i'm going to be fiddling with it, it hurts like a bitch XD Will shampoo irritate it? Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated :smile:

Your bar is likely to be slightly longer than you need to allow for swelling - so keep an eye on it as it may need changing in a few weeks. If so, go back to your piercer rather than try it yourself.

As long as you don't put shampoo directly on your ear it will be fine. Just make sure you rinse it afterwards so nothing is left on, and try not to knock it too much.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone
:O It could be hypertrophic scarring. Have you used anything or continued using salt solution on it since you removed the bar? I'm an idiot, I didn't check the risks of getting it done, but I'll wait and see what happens. Cheers for your help, I hope that bubble goes down!

When it first started appearing, I washed it with salt solution twice a day, never slept on it, avoided bumping it at all costs but it still happened :frown: My bar was longer than needed, so you might wanna go get a better fitting one, as I think that's one of the reasons why it happened :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
Your bar is likely to be slightly longer than you need to allow for swelling - so keep an eye on it as it may need changing in a few weeks. If so, go back to your piercer rather than try it yourself.

As long as you don't put shampoo directly on your ear it will be fine. Just make sure you rinse it afterwards so nothing is left on, and try not to knock it too much.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone

Thank you. I have nudged it a few times, what could happen if the bar moves too much?
Reply 8
Original post by justmaddiehere
When it first started appearing, I washed it with salt solution twice a day, never slept on it, avoided bumping it at all costs but it still happened :frown: My bar was longer than needed, so you might wanna go get a better fitting one, as I think that's one of the reasons why it happened :frown:

There's recommendations online to use tea tree oil or you could see a doctor. I think the bubble is harmless though. What do you mean by better fitting? If it's too short it's not good and too long isn't good either, what does a well fitted bar look like? This is so confusing! Thank you for your suggestions :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you. I have nudged it a few times, what could happen if the bar moves too much?

Just nudging it lightly once or twice isn't going to do anything. But if you continually do it then it will get irritated and will take longer to heal - and may even develop extreme scar tissue. Or if a nudge becomes something more then you could end up pulling at the piercing and tearing it. The other issue is what you're nudging it with - a hairbrush? dirty hands?- could have germs and lead to an infection.
Reply 10
Original post by Juno
Just nudging it lightly once or twice isn't going to do anything. But if you continually do it then it will get irritated and will take longer to heal - and may even develop extreme scar tissue. Or if a nudge becomes something more then you could end up pulling at the piercing and tearing it. The other issue is what you're nudging it with - a hairbrush? dirty hands?- could have germs and lead to an infection.

I nudge it mainly in the bath when I'm trying to move my hair out the way but it's quite gentle and with my hands. I've tried to avoid brushing my hair on the left side, it looks like a bush. Can I straighten my hair near the piercing? I'm worried about heat near the bar, and obviously there's the issue of bashing it.
Reply 11
I nudge it mainly in the bath when I'm trying to move my hair out the way but it's quite gentle and with my hands. I've tried to avoid brushing my hair on the left side, it looks like a bush. Can I straighten my hair near the piercing? I'm worried about heat near the bar, and obviously there's the issue of bashing it.

You can straighten your hair, just be really careful
Your ear can split. I had mine done for 3 years and it split. Was always health and clean then woke up one morning and it had split.

Quick Reply

Latest