The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Definitely. I judge all of you dimwits. :facepalm2:
Reply 2
I think most people probably look down to some extent upon those who they perceive as less 'successful' than others.
Reply 3
at Oxbridge we do not have "students"... we have undergraduates; if they are of the gentler sex they are referred to as undergraduettes
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Lol. A lot of 'oxbridge' students acknowledge universities better than them on paticular courses , or par on par with them.

And there are many.

Oxbridge needs to be split imo. They use different admission policies , rules, and ways of selecting students .
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MENDACIUM
Lol. A lot of 'oxbridge' students acknowledge universities better than them on paticular courses , or par on par with them.

And there are many.

MIT for Engineering for example :tongue:

Mainly for research reasons - their facilities are generally better than ours :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by wibletg
MIT for Engineering for example :tongue:

Mainly for research reasons - their facilities are generally better than ours :tongue:

American universities without say.

I was talking about UK universities.

Cambridge is eclipsed by a few universities in economics, and is 11th in the world for it.

LSE is better.

For Engineering, Imperial could definitely be 'par on par' with Cambridge. It is better than Oxford in that respect. It's entrance requirements are higher.

Oxford nor cambridge do dentistry.

There are many other subjects i could go on to discussing.

Medicine is the rare case where it does not matter what university you go to. 'oxbridge' students have a choice to transfer to Imperial after year 3 to join them in the clinical years ect and finish their degree there. (selection / admission process).

There are plenty of universities better than oxbridge (in tHe UK) for particular courses, and many that are par on par. However, oxford and cambridge are still absolutely fantastic universities. We need to remove our tunnel vision though.
(edited 11 years ago)

And there are many.

Oxbridge needs to be split imo. They use different admission policies , rules, and ways of selecting students .

Split into what? I don't understand :confused:, away from UCAS? Split into Ox and Bridge an nobody can again utter the term?
My secondary school friends went to different unis to myself and I never judged them for being at a supposedly "lesser" university :nah: I did think badly of one friend who went around lying about her university, but mainly just felt sad that she felt she had to lie about where she was.

In my experience, most Oxbridge students don't look down upon others. On the other hand, there is quite a lot of inverse snobbery towards Oxbridge students :s-smilie:
For the most part, beyond a bit of a laugh, not at all. However, there is a large enough minority that are genuine about shouting down other universities to make it seem that way, and unfortunately for TSR, there's a disproportionate amount of them on here.
I'm at a non-Oxbridge university doing a masters where there are more oxbridge students on the course than any other university. They're all lovely people and don't consider themselves 'superior' at all.
Reply 11
Why does the OP care ?
Reply 12

(neither) Oxford nor cambridge do dentistry.

My dear chap we do not offer Holistic Massage degrees either

:rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
The thing about Oxford is that the only thing being there says about you is that you got in. Many people change between the ages of 18 and 21.

As a person, I would never judge people at all until I got to know them. However, academically I would judge them on how well they do, not what university they are at. How difficult the course is is, of course, part of that, but I've never done any other courses so I can't really judge that for sure. I would expect there to be a higher proportion of high achieving and well rounded students at Oxford than at universities that don't interview and have lower requirements, but that still tells me nothing about the individual, and certainly nothing about their personality.

In short: no.

For reference: I'm an Oxford third year.

Edit: As another point, I'm part of a club that is shared between Oxford Brookes, Oxford and Reading, and the atmosphere is genuinely totally university neutral.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by the bear
My dear chap we do not offer Holistic Massage degrees either

:rolleyes:

:colondollar: Do Oxford offer Lady Gaga degrees?
Reply 15
Original post by Octohedral
The thing about Oxford is that the only thing being there says about you is that you got in. Many people change between the ages of 18 and 21.

As a person, I would never judge people at all until I got to know them. However, academically I would judge them on how well they do, not what university they are at. How difficult the course is is, of course, part of that, but I've never done any other courses so I can't really judge that for sure. I would expect there to be a higher proportion of high achieving and well rounded students at Oxford than at universities that don't interview and have lower requirements, but that still tells me nothing about the individual, and certainly nothing about their personality.

In short: no.

For reference: I'm an Oxford third year.

Edit: As another point, I'm part of a club that is shared between Oxford Brookes, Oxford and Reading, and the atmosphere is genuinely totally university neutral.

Brilliant!
Reply 17

For Engineering, Imperial could definitely be 'par on par' with Cambridge. It is better than Oxford in that respect. It's entrance requirements are higher.

Oxford don't have a huge engineering dept so yeah :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by wibletg
Oxford don't have a huge engineering dept so yeah :tongue:

They are all fantastic tbh. I just wanted to dispell the notion that it's oxbridge or nothing. Oxford is still one of the top universities for it world-wide, i just wanted to make a point. It makes menial difference when one gets to that upper stage ect
(edited 11 years ago)
On here, i think its pretty easy do determine who's been to oxbridge or not.

They tend to say, 'I feel' and 'However' a heck a lot in their paragraphs of text.

This is my opinion, i do feel they try to patronize others on here, 'However' 'I Feel' it's just natural to them.

Latest

Trending

Trending