The Student Room Group

I really, really want to do A-level Chemistry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You sound a lot like the way I was when I was younger, especially when you confess you're a little worried about the maths and geometry (my sense of symmetry is appalling!)

I'd like to say though that its fantastic you like chemistry and are highly passionate about doing the A level - although I have to warn you its one of the hardest A levels (equating with Further Mathematics and Physics).

As for the maths, at A level you're knowledge of maths doesn't need to be that fluent in A level chemistry (I'd even say A level physics doesn't have any real maths in it) - so don't worry if you're maths is a little shaky. I know people who came out with a respectable B grade in A level chemistry who were not so confident numerically.

You need a good understanding of conversions and balancing equations. Understanding moles, and how to interpret graphs. I'd say this is the only "mathsy" stuff required.

There is a lot of content however in A level chemistry and I think that's what's the dead ender for some students. I'd recommend doing 2.5 hours everyday to keep up with this A level and doing as many practice past papers as you can. If you can do this, you can pass the A level - the Mathematics in A level chemistry as I've previously mentioned isn't that much and shouldn't be a barrier for you to fail (this is me taking into consideration of the fact that you'll study the actual chemistry though!)

When you get to degree level chemistry however, the mathematics is a must. I can't stress that enough.

Linear Algebra, Differential Equations (ordinary and partial), Calculus, Polar Coordinates, Vectors, Matrices and solving secular equations. All required for physical chemistry during your undergraduate studies. So if you plan to take chemistry at degree level, I'd strongly consider you to eat up on the maths. It's essential!

Other than that, I wish you the very best! Work hard and hopefully you'll end up with an excellent grade at the end.

Regards,

L.
Original post by Tidalwave
Okay basically I really enjoy Science. Especially Biology and Chemistry, I have got one grade B GCSE for year 10 and I am predicted a grade A for this year's additional science GCSE. I have been studying the OCR 21st Century Science examination board and I have done the 4th module for additional Science and achieved an A* which was unexpected. I am nor an A/A* student at school. Anyways getting to the point will I still be capable of doing Chemistry even if I have a grade C in Maths? I can do Maths in Science but not in Maths. I am struggling to achieve a B and currently doing Geometry and I am extremely weak in that topic. I understand I will struggle but to what degree? I am a very dedicated individual and have a passion for Science. I will appreciate all answers thankyou :smile:

Are you me? I was (and still am exactly the same). There wasnt that much maths in A level chemistry to be perfectly honest, there is a lot of rearranging equations. If you really really love chemistry, you'll put the work in to get your head around the mathsy bits.
Reply 22
Original post by James A
Yeah, these A-levels reward people if they are persistent with their homework/revision/studying.

The thing is that I lost my marks, not on the actual practical, but on the questions that followed it. Had I been competent with my revision, I would have got those questions right, sadly I got 44/60 and 40/60 respectively for my AS and A2 practicals :rofl:. Hence this June I'm doing unit 2 and unit 5 respectively, to regain my 15 ums :cool:

Personally speaking I do find the practicals a bit of a joke. It does seem that many colleges and sixth forms pretty much coach their students or tell them the answers in order to gain full/high marks. I know this is certainly the case among some of my friends who got D's in the exam and full UMS in the practical. My teacher was saying they got a bit suspicious as our college was ranked "above average" for the exam performance but was consistently "below average" for practical performance despite following preparation guidelines.

Good luck with the practicals" I found them a lot easier this year than they were last year. :smile:
Original post by H0ls
Personally speaking I do find the practicals a bit of a joke. It does seem that many colleges and sixth forms pretty much coach their students or tell them the answers in order to gain full/high marks. I know this is certainly the case among some of my friends who got D's in the exam and full UMS in the practical. My teacher was saying they got a bit suspicious as our college was ranked "above average" for the exam performance but was consistently "below average" for practical performance despite following preparation guidelines.

Good luck with the practicals" I found them a lot easier this year than they were last year. :smile:

:lol: I'm on a gap year, so I'm not at school, I only have the opportunity to retake exams.

They need to be more stricter (the exam boards) when it comes to the practicals. This is the reason why the grade boundaries become inflated for the practicals.

It was something like 36/40 marks to just get an A (edexcel), which is just plain ridiculous.
Reply 24
Thankyou everyone for your advice and help! I really appreciate it! I have currentky loaned out an AS/A2 Chemistry revision guide and I am slowly going through it. I am reallt interested what I am reading and practicing the Empirical Formula, I found it easy to grasp. 😃
its hard, real talk.
Reply 26
its hard, real talk.

I know it will be hard but I am really committed to get the highest grade I can achieve :smile:
its hard, real talk.

I know it will be hard but I am really committed to get the highest grade I can achieve :smile:

real talk, u better be prepared to put the hours in gal

no more tv, no more tsr, no more going outside with ur galdem, this is real talk u gotta put the hours in
Okay basically I really enjoy Science. Especially Biology and Chemistry, I have got one grade B GCSE for year 10 and I am predicted a grade A for this year's additional science GCSE. I have been studying the OCR 21st Century Science examination board and I have done the 4th module for additional Science and achieved an A* which was unexpected. I am nor an A/A* student at school. Anyways getting to the point will I still be capable of doing Chemistry even if I have a grade C in Maths? I can do Maths in Science but not in Maths. I am struggling to achieve a B and currently doing Geometry and I am extremely weak in that topic. I understand I will struggle but to what degree? I am a very dedicated individual and have a passion for Science. I will appreciate all answers thankyou :smile:

If you can add 2+2 then your maths skills will be suffice for Alevel Chemistry
Reply 29
These people are confusing chemistry with physics lol. Trust me I absolutely SUCK at maths, but chemistry is a breeze. Theres literally only 3 formulas to learn, and you learned them at GSCE already. I'll tell you them now:

mass/mr = moles
And moles = concentration times volume
And finally PV=nRT.

The last equation is the hardest, but actually fun to work out. Learn how to rearrange that equation and chemistry a levels will be a walk in the park! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Oh and theres empirical formulas, percentage yield and atom economy.

But thats not really about maths, its your understanding of chemistry.
Except the percentage one: basically divide the smaller number by the bigger number, multiply by 100 and BOOM, thats all the math killed off ;p

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do AS maths and AS chemistry, the first unit in AQA chemistry has one topic that is heavily maths based, you have to practice a lot at it but once you've got it, you've definitely got it and can solve any question they give you in the exam. I haven't finished unit 2 yet but there isn't any maths in the half I've done, just a lot of mechanisms! It is really, really interesting though and such a fun A level to do. Don't doubt yourself because I was so nervous about doing this A level I was 90% sure I wasn't going to do it because I thought I wasn't going to be good at it, now its by far my strongest subject.

I agree with the above, the Pv = nRT questions are worth like 5 marks each and were so fun to do, they were like easy marks as long as you knew how to convert units confidently.
(edited 11 years ago)
Chemistry isn't all about maths-indeed only physical chemistry contains it. Some misleading advice here OP as there's a lot more to the subject than number crunching.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest