The Student Room Group

A-levels or BTECs?

I'm currently doing my AS levels in Art, French, English Literature and Maths. My targets are ABBA (abba LOL) for this year and for next year AAA. So although my predicted grades are good I hate sixth form so much. All of my teachers are awful and the workload is beyond excessive. I also have a part time job which I probably should quit. I have recently decided to drop French before my AS exams as my progress has plummeted since the Christmas holidays (probably due to personal reasons). Since January I have been considering dropping A levels altogether and doing a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in Art and Design. For after A levels or BTEC depending on what I end up doing, I wanted to take a gap year where I was going to do a scuba diving instructor course and maybe continue this as my job or after go to do an art degree and hopefully get a job in the art industry. I was just wondering if I would actually get accepted into a decent university with no AS level and if the job prospects are good with an art degree or not. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Well A levels are way better, but there is still a chance if you get the grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Farah_786
Well A levels are way better, but there is still a chance if you get the grades.

A-levels are not "way better". A BTEC is an equivalent qualification that's just as valued by the majority of universities.

A-levels are academic, BTECs are practical. Not being academic is not the same as being stupid.
A-Levels are more educational, BTECs are more for a certain specific field. A-Levels are hard, but some BTECs are too
Reply 4
Original post by sabian92
A-levels are not "way better". A BTEC is an equivalent qualification that's just as valued by the majority of universities.

A-levels are academic, BTECs are practical. Not being academic is not the same as being stupid.

That is not true. A levels are prefered over than BTECS, because many universities do not allow BTECS instead of A levels, especially the top unis like oxford & cambridge.
It all depends which university you would like to go to.
Reply 5
That is not true. A levels are prefered over than BTECS, because many universities do not allow BTECS instead of A levels, especially the top unis like oxford & cambridge.

It is entirely true.

A-levels are not always preferred - practical subjects are better studied under a BTEC.

Oxbridge don't accept BTECs (actually, for some courses they do accept BTECs) but that doesn't mean they're a useless qualification. Like I said, they're a practical qualification. Not being academic doesn't make you an idiot. I'm not academic and i'm certainly not an idiot. As far as I know every other university worth applying to accepts BTECs. JMU accepted my Level 3 BTEC in IT for studying Forensic Computing in September.
(edited 11 years ago)
I was in a similar position to you.

I was coming towards the end of AS Levels and hated school, hated the work, hated A Levels and I just wanted to escape so I applied for a BTEC not really sure if I was going to finish the A Levels or start the BTEC course. It was a huge decision but finally I picked the BTEC for some reason.

Worst decision I ever made. I am now at uni and achieved DDD in the BTEC. However the BTEC really narrowed down my uni choices and course choices, it also didn't really set me up for uni in the way that A Levels would have.

I am on a decent uni course and am doing alright, but I have had to work extra hard than the people that did A Levels. Also if I had carried on with the A Levels I could have gotten further than the stage I am at now. I am about to turn 23 and am just about to finish uni. I could be doing so many other things if I hadn't taken that BTEC and I still think about the opportunities I have missed. I am only young so can still go for them... but I am not getting any younger haha.

You need to enjoy what you are doing, so if you really hate the A Levels and feel like you need to get out then maybe you need to consider other options. But just be aware that many unis do not like BTECs, and the BTEC may not give you all the skills or knowledge needed for uni. Also the BTEC will limit the courses you can take.

If you are going to go for the BTEC then maybe contact some universities to see if they will take that qualification for the course you want to do.

I agree.
BTEC's are equivalent qualifications to A-levels. They are just different types of qualification. Both are equally accepted by universities and employers. For example, after my a-levels i went to college to do childcare. One of the girls in my group got an unconditional offer to do social work at derby uni.
If you want to go on to do a BTEC, then go for it.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
BTEC's are equivalent qualifications to A-levels. They are just different types of qualification. Both are equally accepted by universities and employers. For example, after my a-levels i went to college to do childcare. One of the girls in my group got an unconditional offer to do social work at derby uni.
If you want to go on to do a BTEC, then go for it.

THANK YOU.

One person on TSR FINALLY agrees with me.

A-levels are not for intellectual geniuses as much as BTECs are not for retards.

I do a BTEC because I hate exams and I'm not particularly academic. I'm not stupid (I have a learning disability but that doesn't drag my IQ down), I just wouldn't have done very well at AS/A level.
Reply 9
Quite a lot of good universities accept Btecs but they ask for pretty high grades. E.g I think an AAB is asked for D*D*D. But I think like the 'top 5' may not take them regardless, but still plenty of great universities!

Btecs do allow someone to specalise in some sense in a field which gives an added boost if they would feel an apprenticeship is more up their streak.
E.g One of my friends got good marks in Electrical engineering and managed to pull a one year apprenticeship with a car manufacturer

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is entirely true.

A-levels are not always preferred - practical subjects are better studied under a BTEC.

Oxbridge don't accept BTECs (actually, for some courses they do accept BTECs) but that doesn't mean they're a useless qualification. Like I said, they're a practical qualification. Not being academic doesn't make you an idiot. I'm not academic and i'm certainly not an idiot. As far as I know every other university worth applying to accepts BTECs. JMU accepted my Level 3 BTEC in IT for studying Forensic Computing in September.

Sorry, but I think you're misunderstanding me, I did not call anyone an "idiot. In my opinion everyone has the right to choose him/her self whether thy want to do BTECS or A levels.

So if I offended you SORRY
Reply 11
Sorry, but I think you're misunderstanding me, I did not call anyone an "idiot. In my opinion everyone has the right to choose him/her self whether thy want to do BTECS or A levels.

So if I offended you SORRY

You said A-levels are "way better" which says to me that you think if you're studying A-levels then you're generally going to be smarter/better off with UCAS compared to a similar BTEC. That's what I thought was wrong.
Lets just say I'm currently doing AS Level Dance, and I wish I'd done a BTEC. I'm going to drop dance and pick up AS Further Maths next year, as I hate it that much :frown:
I did a BTEC at GCSE Level and absolutely loved it.
A levels are the better option btecs aren't looked upon universities if your looking to go there. Btecs are just a dead end while A levels are looked upon by everyone. BTECs aren't worth the hassle in my opioion also they exhaggerate they are worth more than A levels saying their equivllent while in reality there not some universitys will just ignore you have a btec but if u don't want to go to university it would be better to take Btec. This is from research also i did a presentation about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
I know somebody who does a BTEC, and is going to go to a good Russell Group university to study Engineering
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah, but think about it if you do engineering its just going to come a dead end within society there is no employment and all you can do is be self employed and there is so many engineers it will be struggle to get work while a levels including e.g maths is used in every day life for every job and is looked upon by everyone, but its good if u want to be within that sort of work :smile: its just that if u change ur mind your sort of stuffed.
(edited 11 years ago)

Original post by StartSomething
I was in a similar position to you.

I was coming towards the end of AS Levels and hated school, hated the work, hated A Levels and I just wanted to escape so I applied for a BTEC not really sure if I was going to finish the A Levels or start the BTEC course. It was a huge decision but finally I picked the BTEC for some reason.

Worst decision I ever made. I am now at uni and achieved DDD in the BTEC. However the BTEC really narrowed down my uni choices and course choices, it also didn't really set me up for uni in the way that A Levels would have.

I am on a decent uni course and am doing alright, but I have had to work extra hard than the people that did A Levels. Also if I had carried on with the A Levels I could have gotten further than the stage I am at now. I am about to turn 23 and am just about to finish uni. I could be doing so many other things if I hadn't taken that BTEC and I still think about the opportunities I have missed. I am only young so can still go for them... but I am not getting any younger haha.

You need to enjoy what you are doing, so if you really hate the A Levels and feel like you need to get out then maybe you need to consider other options. But just be aware that many unis do not like BTECs, and the BTEC may not give you all the skills or knowledge needed for uni. Also the BTEC will limit the courses you can take.

If you are going to go for the BTEC then maybe contact some universities to see if they will take that qualification for the course you want to do.

Btecs do have exams now and they didn't before, so they should be considered harder now, the exams are marked harsher too. I think I'm going to do A levels instead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending