The Student Room Group

What's better - a 2.1 from Oxbridge or a first from Aston?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Future_Dr
I mean't that generally. I mean there are people who look at other things other than prestige and rep. But on average those who do end up in Oxbridge generally do have better grades. If you look into Aston, you will get mixture of grades, from average to very high grades which I guess you have.

But do you not think this has a deteriorating effect on the learning process in that students with lower A level grades tend to be more the party kind and therefore the average course content / load tends to be dragged down at the expense of high achievers ?
Original post by Zenomorph
But do you not think this has a deteriorating effect on the learning process in that students with lower A level grades tend to be more the party kind and therefore the average course content / load tends to be dragged down at the expense of high achievers ?

I didn't fully understood what you meant there. But how is people with lower alevel grades tend to be 'more the party kind'? We're talking about their degrees in their repective unis not their personal attributes.
I didn't fully understood what you meant there. But how is people with lower alevel grades tend to be 'more the party kind'? We're talking about their degrees in their repective unis not their personal attributes.

Hmm, seems to be a lot misunderstanding of one kind or another here and grammatical / spelling errors too.

To your question:

' How is people with lower alevel grades tend to be 'more the party kind'? '

How about those who work harder and party less tend to achieve higher grades than those who do the opposite ?
Hmm, seems to be a lot misunderstanding of one kind or another here and grammatical / spelling errors too.

To your question:

' How is people with lower alevel grades tend to be 'more the party kind'? '

How about those who work harder and party less tend to achieve higher grades than those who do the opposite ?

Ofcourse there is misunderstanding when I have explicitly stated that I do not fully understand your statement. So you could have just cleared things up a bit rather than seek grammatical and spelling mistakes don't you think?

It really seems to me that you are confused about academia and social life. If someone has a better social life, it doesn't mean in the slightest that they are poor achiever and vice versa. So your statement, "How about those who work harder and party less tend to achieve higher grades than those who do the opposite ?" cannot be proven otherwise, however if we go back to the main point of my original post, that Oxbridge students generally have higher grades can be proven, you'd just have to look at the average grades of the uni for every course. This can be measured. Whereas you can't measure the extent of how much a person party.
Ofcourse there is misunderstanding when I have explicitly stated that I do not fully understand your statement. So you could have just cleared things up a bit rather than seek grammatical and spelling mistakes don't you think?

It really seems to me that you are confused about academia and social life. If someone has a better social life, it doesn't mean in the slightest that they are poor achiever and vice versa. So your statement, "How about those who work harder and party less tend to achieve higher grades than those who do the opposite ?" cannot be proven otherwise, however if we go back to the main point of my original post, that Oxbridge students generally have higher grades can be proven, you'd just have to look at the average grades of the uni for every course. This can be measured. Whereas you can't measure the extent of how much a person party.

At least we can agree that Oxbridge students generally have higher grades than other students.

So I suppose this is where we differ - I tend to think that it is almost impossible to achieve the highest grades without some sacrifice of your social life. If you disagree with this then we have to agree to disagree.
Reply 325
1st from aston... a 2:1 from Oxford may be looked down upon (many might think "oh so he got to Oxford but he only got a 2:1?" It really depends on your employer and how prejudice they are
Reply 326
Original post by ttreb
1st from aston... a 2:1 from Oxford may be looked down upon (many might think "oh so he got to Oxford but he only got a 2:1?" It really depends on your employer and how prejudice they are

Since when did a 2:1 become a bad degree? In humanities subjects, it can be pretty difficult to get a 1st.

Blanket statements just can't be made about degrees, they're definitely not comparable in the same way A-Levels from different boards are.
Reply 327
Original post by shamika
Since when did a 2:1 become a bad degree? In humanities subjects, it can be pretty difficult to get a 1st.

Blanket statements just can't be made about degrees, they're definitely not comparable in the same way A-Levels from different boards are.

I completely agree, both of my parents received 2:1's and if i had one i would be ecstatic however it still doesn't take away the fact that certain employees can be prejudice.

In my own personal opinion. a 2:1 is a 2:1 and a first is a first. No matter what university you attended. Simple as that.
Reply 328
Ah the student room. Where opinions are strictly forbidden.
Reply 329
Original post by ttreb
Ah the student room. Where opinions are strictly forbidden.

Especially stupid ones.
Reply 330
Original post by ttreb
I completely agree, both of my parents received 2:1's and if i had one i would be ecstatic however it still doesn't take away the fact that certain employees can be prejudice.

In my own personal opinion. a 2:1 is a 2:1 and a first is a first. No matter what university you attended. Simple as that.

So, a 1st from Edge Hill or a 2:1 from Oxford. Which one is better?
Reply 331
Original post by Noble.
Especially stupid ones.

Haven't you got a 50,000 essay to be writing? Chop chop Oxbridge.

RG1:

ICL
UCL
LSE
KCL
Edinburgh
Bristol
Durham
Possibly Exeter

Could I ask you specifically troll boy, what are these lists based on? Is it League positioning and if so which league tables, is it experience as an employer selecting people, experience as an academic selecting people for a Masters, I mean could I specifically pinpoint what you base this on?

That doesn't mean they are any good, you don't really think the best Oxbridge academics aim for RG2 institutions o you ?

And surely you are being a little hypocritical ? You dislike the snobbery from Oxbridge or RG1 yet you gladly push the term RG to differentiate your self from non-RG institutions.

There's an RG2 in the sense that anyone might want it to be one ( just look at the tables and a clear demarcation is revealed between RG1 and 2 )

O yeah right and you're a mind reader are you, in any case if I was starting over again with my AAA I'd be damned if I were to end up in an RG 2.

Yes it does. Any university with a number of Oxbridge/London educated academics can happily think of itself as 'good', or 'very good'.

Not at all, I'd happily say institutions such as St. Andrews or Bath or universities in the 1994 group are going to offer just as good an education as Russell Group universities.

The league tables aren't really a helpful source though are they? I mean it's not like the Premier League table with one absolute unquestionable table is it? One could argue that:
- There are many different league tables.
- They vary each year.
- There are subject specific league tables.
- Universities that do better domestically don't do as well in international league tables.

So it becomes very difficult to go by league tables. If a student is at a university ranked 7th, 12th, 16th and 18th across the four league tables they are likely to go around saying "I am at the 7th best university in the country". So I find league tables only as a very rough guide as to what the best universities are, rather than absolute positioning. To give you an example Lancaster and Bath are both above Imperial in the 2013 Guardian table. Which I've no problem with, but I assume you object to this?

The reality is, a) You've not got a degree from a top London institution, and b) you are a student at Sussex...which good for you! It is a good university. I just don't think its helpful coming on here spouting your troll nonsense. It's based on no solid grounds.

Students coming from the London universities aren't taught in their degrees once they graduate to come on student forums and tell others how rubbish their universities are. In fact, any LSE lecturer would be pretty ashamed if his students were doing this.

FACT: no non RG1 university is a target for MS. end of, lexis or not whatever the hell that is.

I'm at a non Oxbridge/London Russell Group and I've had Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan coming to the university personally recruiting. We've also had Big Four accountancy firms and magic circle law firms recruiting here. Another myth that a very small proportion of London students believe that it is only their universities that are targeted, it isn't.

So did you graduate Cantab or not ? and if so, why are you arguing with me ? Surely we are in agreement

Again another silly claim. Most Cambridge students don't take your snobbish view. It isn't a case of if you are at Cambridge you are smart and everyone else is dumb. If you are at a Top 20 UK University you are really really smart. If you are at Cambridge, maybe you are unbelievably smart. The key is that (thankfully) most Cambridge students don't share your views.

Everyone knows law is an extremely prestige conscious profession, why would someone with Maths @ cantab do law @ BPP ? That'd be like shooting yourself after you win the lottery.

Again, what a silly claim! And for someone up to his eyeballs in prestige worries I find it odd you think like this. Law is clearly one of the most prestigious career paths one can take (at least, this is the view a lot of students hold). If you haven't done law at undergraduate, you almost certainly will have to do a law conversion course at either The College of Law or BPP. They are both very prestigious and will both hold you in good stead.

Or are you so snobbish you believe law firms only take Law Undergraduate degrees? They don't, they consider a different discipline plus a conversion course to be just as good, if not better.
Reply 333
Original post by ttreb

I work for an organisation that regularly takes people with distinctions from Oxbridge masters, including one person who is rumoured to have topped their year at Oxford doing maths. And we consistently take people with 2:1s, from all sorts of universities. When I interview, I care the person has a 2:1 in a vaguely relevant field from a vaguely good university and then actually try to find out what the person is like.

Apart from a couple of (ridiculous) hedge funds, or for quant jobs in banking, I am not aware of any job where you have to have a first.
Original post by Eboracum

The league tables aren't really a helpful source though are they? I mean it's not like the Premier League table with one absolute unquestionable table is it? One could argue that:
- There are many different league tables.
- They vary each year.
- There are subject specific league tables.
- Universities that do better domestically don't do as well in international league tables.

So it becomes very difficult to go by league tables. If a student is at a university ranked 7th, 12th, 16th and 18th across the four league tables they are likely to go around saying "I am at the 7th best university in the country". So I find league tables only as a very rough guide as to what the best universities are, rather than absolute positioning. To give you an example Lancaster and Bath are both above Imperial in the 2013 Guardian table. Which I've no problem with, but I assume you object to this?

The reality is, a) You've not got a degree from a top London institution, and b) you are a student at Sussex...which good for you! It is a good university. I just don't think its helpful coming on here spouting your troll nonsense. It's based on no solid grounds.

Students coming from the London universities aren't taught in their degrees once they graduate to come on student forums and tell others how rubbish their universities are. In fact, any LSE lecturer would be pretty ashamed if his students were doing this.

I'm at a non Oxbridge/London Russell Group and I've had Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan coming to the university personally recruiting. We've also had Big Four accountancy firms and magic circle law firms recruiting here. Another myth that a very small proportion of London students believe that it is only their universities that are targeted, it isn't.

Again another silly claim. Most Cambridge students don't take your snobbish view. It isn't a case of if you are at Cambridge you are smart and everyone else is dumb. If you are at a Top 20 UK University you are really really smart. If you are at Cambridge, maybe you are unbelievably smart. The key is that (thankfully) most Cambridge students don't share your views.

Again, what a silly claim! And for someone up to his eyeballs in prestige worries I find it odd you think like this. Law is clearly one of the most prestigious career paths one can take (at least, this is the view a lot of students hold). If you haven't done law at undergraduate, you almost certainly will have to do a law conversion course at either The College of Law or BPP. They are both very prestigious and will both hold you in good stead.

Or are you so snobbish you believe law firms only take Law Undergraduate degrees? They don't, they consider a different discipline plus a conversion course to be just as good, if not better.

Bottom line is that most if not all TSR readers use the tables regularly and so do you because otherwise you would not be so pissed off for it ranking your RG2 so lowly.

The reality is that you wish and pray that I don't have a degree from an RG1 which I do - LSE , which goes to show how badly you really feel about your own university ( let me guess you're from either Manchester, Bham or Nottingham ? ).

I graduated years ago and now am doing a PG certificate at Sussex and no it is not a good institution but don't let that comfort you too much because it is probably on the same level as the place you are at now.

And yes, I have had the misfortune of sampling so called RG2 courses and I must say they are pretty dire.

And yes also I will not put up with crap and will be doing something about Sussex. Exactly what that will be is none of yours and anybody else's business since that is no relevance to the topic at hand.

You have no knowledge what Students coming from the London universities are or are not taught unless you are suddenly morphing into a London 3 student.

On the other it is our duty to stop any institution from passing itself off as an Oxb or RG1 when they are not.

Anyone with a 2.2 can get back office jobs from and bank including ex poly students as well, certainly no need to go to an RG2.

What you can't do with an RG2 degree is be a target place for a top bank. Search and read TSR is choc full of threads on this but you should be notified that it will make painful reading for you.

You don't really think the best Oxbridge academics aim for RG2 institutions do you ?

You conveniently left out this bit which I suspect embarrasses you tremendously so I will reinstall it just for you:

Try Oxbridge / Harvard/ Yale / Princeton - you forget that a good Oxbridge degree opens doors world wide.

The same most definitely cannot be said of say a 1st from Leeds.

As for the rest of it, I cannot tell what point you are making as it seems you are just regurgitating everything I said which is quite typical of the RG2.
Bottom line is that most if not all TSR readers use the tables regularly and so do you because otherwise you would not be so pissed off for it ranking your RG2 so lowly.

The reality is that you wish and pray that I don't have a degree from an RG1 which I do - LSE , which goes to show how badly you really feel about your own university ( let me guess you're from either Manchester, Bham or Nottingham ? ).

I graduated years ago and now am doing a PG certificate at Sussex and no it is not a good institution but don't let that comfort you too much because it is probably on the same level as the place you are at now.

And yes, I have had the misfortune of sampling so called RG2 courses and I must say they are pretty dire.

And yes also I will not put up with crap and will be doing something about Sussex. Exactly what that will be is none of yours and anybody else's business since that is no relevance to the topic at hand.

You have no knowledge what Students coming from the London universities are or are not taught unless you are suddenly morphing into a London 3 student.

On the other it is our duty to stop any institution from passing itself off as an Oxb or RG1 when they are not.

Anyone with a 2.2 can get back office jobs from and bank including ex poly students as well, certainly no need to go to an RG2.

What you can't do with an RG2 degree is be a target place for a top bank. Search and read TSR is choc full of threads on this but you should be notified that it will make painful reading for you.

You don't really think the best Oxbridge academics aim for RG2 institutions do you ?

You conveniently left out this bit which I suspect embarrasses you tremendously so I will reinstall it just for you:

Try Oxbridge / Harvard/ Yale / Princeton - you forget that a good Oxbridge degree opens doors world wide.

The same most definitely cannot be said of say a 1st from Leeds.

As for the rest of it, I cannot tell what point you are making as it seems you are just regurgitating everything I said which is quite typical of the RG2.

I'd have another go. You've not really answered my points or adding added anything useful.

I couldn't really care about league tables, even though my uni does pretty well. The point I was making is that they aren't really that helpful for the reasons I spoke about. If it does define your opinions, then I'd invite you to agree with the Guardian that Lancaster is better than Imperial. I don't really mind either way - both good!

Manchester, Birmingham and Nottingham are all really really good universities. Any Russell Group university will give you a good education, it is heightened snobbery to suggest it is a misfortune to study at one.

Sussex, you'll get a great education there. Some terrific study abroad links also. It is always an excellent way to tell how 'good' as you put it a university is, look at which universities they have links to. Mine has Ivys/Berkeley, and others.

The point on London unis was just that I know students there, but then, don't we all when we need to!

Every human being aims for the top at their profession. But there are only a limited number of teaching positions at Oxford. The ones that are at other places may be there by choice, or they may not have come to a moment when a post at Oxford is available. Teaching at a Russell is an awesome job.

What doors does an Oxford 2:1 open that a Leeds 1st doesn't? I'd be looking for facts and empirical evidence here not just 'Morgan Stanley don't hire from Leeds'.

What a troll you are. An LSE degree, shouldn't you be busy with your banking/law/accountancy career instead of doing short courses at Sussex/telling students on TSR their uni is rubbish?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nichrome
I notice that you study politics rather than a science subject, so it's likely that your experience will be different than Derrick's. In arts subjects such as politics it's generally the case that it's rather easy to get a 2.1 but very hard to get a first wherever you go as it's marked on a narrow scale, and in this case there is going to be much less of a difference in difficulty between arts courses between Oxbridge and the rest. However Derrick's experience is with maths, where there is a very large difference in difficulty between Oxbridge and the rest. What Derrick is saying about the difference in difficulty isn't snobbery, it's simply the truth, Cambridge's papers are far harder than elsewhere. He said nothing about the quality of students at either institution.

I myself put my money where my mouth was, I was struggling to hit the 2.1 mark so transferred to another RG uni (UCL) as I was convinced the course would be less demanding and I could get a much better grade. This turned out to be the case, and I walked away with a very high first (over 80%). This isn't snobbery, but recognising that different courses have markedly different differences in difficulty, and it may well be worth a prospective students while to go somewhere 'less prestigious' and get a better class of degree.

Zenomorph however is just a troll who is spouting nonsense and should be ignored.

I could agree with this. I can't really speak about Maths as it is not my area. But for my discipline I wouldn't imagine a Cambridge paper is much harder. It becomes difficult when the courses are different to define which is harder. I'd argue what I've done in the first year is pretty hard, with a lot of theory involved.

If you went from missing 2:1s at Cambridge to over 80 at UCL in Maths, then I don't think it would be unreasonable to conclude you found UCL significantly easier. But then, perhaps the course was more to your tastes, perhaps the UCL teaching method suits you better, and various other factors could be cited. So it is a difficult debate. But as I say, I've not studied Maths at degree level.
So few people are getting this 'Micro Debating' thing. Scroll up, look what forum you're in :lol:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
So few people are getting this 'Micro Debating' thing. Scroll up, look what forum you're in :lol:

I think we all abandoned the idea once we realised it was an April Fool's joke :colondollar:
Original post by Eboracum

What doors does an Oxford 2:1 open that a Leeds 1st doesn't? I'd be looking for facts and empirical evidence here not just 'Morgan Stanley don't hire from Leeds'.

My sister works for a leading bank in London, not MS but at a similar level. She went to Cambridge but she is surrounded by people at her level from many of the upper universities (and even by people who did not attend university at all!), she is definitely in a (reasonably sized) minority there, coming from Oxbridge. I would say that selection at many top companies is extremely cut throat now and they are really looking for genuine ability and fit to their roles, not just the alma mater of your degree, no matter how glossy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending