The Student Room Group

Why do People Have a Problem with Gay People?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Rooster523

One Comic, two factual errors.
Original post by Syrokal
Actually in many cultures and religions..it was.

Actually, homosexuality only became illegal in Britain during the year 1533 where Henry VIII made it illegal by penalty of death for men to have sex with men (however, not women having sex with women)...

Wonder why...
Original post by RevolutionIsNear!
It's just naturally repulsive to see two men kissing, soor, blame it on evolution.

Is it naturally repulsive? Or are you just projecting your own uncomfortableness with homosexuality onto the general population?
Original post by RevolutionIsNear!
He's a bigot because he has a different perspective? Are you too irrational to understand that forced tolerance is just as tyrannical as intolerance?

What do you mean by forced? Methinks the bigots are just whining about this now because it's social poison to be homopohobic these days, and so by spouting these views they make themselves ever more isolated.

They want to be applauded for their bigotry, like in the old days. Pretty desperate and a sure sign of their insecurities.
Ignorance.

There is no other reason (religion to me is ignorance).

Who cares? So long as all parties are consenting, and not hurting each other (some would add; "too much :wink:"), what is the problem?

Ignorant ****s.

It is natural, too. Been documented in multiple species, especially in mammals, so please give up that ghost of an argument.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 125
Original post by Scienceisgood
Actually, homosexuality only became illegal in Britain during the year 1533 where Henry VIII made it illegal by penalty of death for men to have sex with men (however, not women having sex with women)...

Wonder why...

Yes that's when it became "illegal" in statute.
Prior to this in the isles and Europe Homosexuals were merely killed by local lynch gangs, or looked upon as disgraces prior to the Christianization.

It was common practice to rape male prisoners or captives and culturally accepted that to do so showed you as dominant and powerful, yet to be receiving was seen as a disgrace and a great dishonour, it was actually an insult worthy of a fight to the death to imply someone was a receiving or subservient partner in Homosexual activity.
Thus making the concept of a stable and equal relationship with any degree of emotion impossible and socially unacceptable.

Edit: Though when I stated "Many cultures and religions" I fail to see why you focused on it's legality in England alone...seems a bit retarded.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by upthegunners
Because he will get bullied at school, this may sound harsh towards you, but believe you me, that kid will be bullied sick.

If people shouldn't be allowed to have children because the children may be bullied (and it is may, I know a kid with a lesbian mum who wasn't bullied) then no children will ever be born!
Original post by Mullah.S
Of course not, but still, you would not being exist if you're parent is gay.

My friend's mum is gay. And not his adoptive mum, his biological mum.
Original post by Syrokal
Yes that's when it became "illegal" in statute.
Prior to this in the isles and Europe Homosexuals were merely killed by local lynch gangs, or looked upon as disgraces prior to the Christianization.

Actually it was nothing like that. It was in the High Middle Ages that same-sex intercourse began to be particularly reviled in Europe, and even during the middle ages the attitude was far from uniform.

Also, speaking about homosexuality prior to the 19th century is a misnomer. Sexuality was very different and you're imposing a modern cultural construct onto a time in which it didn't in fact exist as an orientation
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 129
Original post by MostUncivilised
Actually it was nothing like that. It was in the High Middle Ages that same-sex intercourse began to be particularly reviled in Europe, and even during the middle ages the attitude was far from uniform.

Also, speaking about homosexuality prior to the 19th century is a misnomer. Sexuality was very different and you're imposing a modern cultural construct onto a time in which it didn't in fact exist as an orientation

Sigh, there is always a misinformed soul seeking to re-write history as some liberal paradise.

Here you go, http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/gayvik.asp

Thus, homosexual sex was not what was condemned, but rather the failure to stand for one's self and make one's own decisions, to fight one's own fights, which went directly against the Nordic ethic of self-reliance. (Sørenson 20). Being used homosexually by another man was equated with cowardice because of the custom of sexual aggression against vanquished foes. This practice is documented in Sturlunga saga

The "Viking" approach to Homosexuality was spread across the entirety of Europe, save the Celt's which as you rightly stated held a very different view.

One offering of information is from Diodorus Siculus in 1 BCE who wrote “Although they have good-looking women, they pay very little attention to them, but are really crazy about having sex with men. They are accustomed to sleeping on the ground on animal skins and roll around naked with male bed-mates on both sides. Heedless of their own dignity, they abandon without qualm the bloom of their bodies to others. And the most incredible thing is that they do not find this shameful. When they proposition someone, they consider it dishonourable if he doesn’t accept the offer!”

However all evidence from European sources(why is it that so far I am the only one providing historical sources on the matter?) state that it was either an activity between warriors, or an act of dominance among once more warriors...and there victims.

In fact Tacitus declared approvingly that the Germans killed homosexuals and cowards and staked their bodies down in bogs.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/print/2007/09/bog-bodies/bog-bodies-text (I will look for the exact Tacitus passage presently)

Hardly a socially enshrined institution , where everyone was open and accepting, a man would never be in a "relationship" with another man, homosexual activity was for sexual gratification only.

Ignorant though that is.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 130
I don't think it's 'natural' but I'm in no position to condemn others. If you are gay/lesbian then you shouldn't feel inferior to others. I will treat you exactly the same as I treat anyone else.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Just like most Judaic religions?
Homosexuality and Bisexuality was not seen as disgusting nor unacceptable before Judaic religions (Christianity, Islam and Judaism) came into affect and starting saying it was a one way hellbound train?

99% of religions it's disliked.

I believe it was Satanism and Wiccan's that accepted it.
Original post by Perseveranze

Actually, my teacher (bio and chem teacher) who frequently takes part in the school's RE subject day thing (which has happened twice since I have been in sixth form) and she states that gay marriage in Sikhism isn't frowned upon nor is it promoted because she believes you are not marrying genders because souls which are genderless.

So, not just Satanism and Wicca...

Hinduism seems to support it.
Jainism only condemns it as an act of sexuality outside of marriage.
Buddhism had ranged from condemning homosexuality equally to other forms of sexuality, to actively celebrating it.
Greek culture and religion actively supported homosexual relationships.
Numerous smaller pagan religious either support or are neutral to homosexual relationships.

In actuality, the active dislike for homosexuality is actually something relatively unique to the Abrahamics.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Hinduism seems to support it.
Jainism only condemns it as an act of sexuality outside of marriage.
Buddhism had ranged from condemning homosexuality equally to other forms of sexuality, to actively celebrating it.
Greek culture and religion actively supported homosexual relationships.
Numerous smaller pagan religious either support or are neutral to homosexual relationships.

In actuality, the active dislike for homosexuality is actually something relatively unique to the Abrahamics.

That's what I meant, I just realised I said something completely wrong. =P
Why did I say Judaic rather than Abrahamic?!
Reply 135
People have a problem with gay people because gay people are awesome and they are not.
Original post by Mullah.S
Of course not, but still, you would not being exist if you're parent is gay.

'Would not being exist if you are parent is gay' - it's *your not you're and that sentence makes no sense.

Yes I still would, people being gay won't change the sexuality of either of my parents. They were born heterosexual just like some people are born gay.

Evidence for this claim?
Original post by JoffreyBaratheon
Evidence for this claim?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_homosexuality

Although someone mentioned Sikhism, there's many Sikh's who are against it, due to no clarity within it's doctrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikhism_and_sexual_orientation

Original post by Farm_Ecology

You keep believing that.
(edited 11 years ago)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_homosexuality

Although someone mentioned Sikhism, there's many Sikh's who are against it, due to no clarity within it's doctrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikhism_and_sexual_orientation

You keep believing that.

Wikipedia fail...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending