The Student Room Group

personal grooming.. um... down there! advice please!

Hi All,

This is a somewhat strange question with a bit of a background but please bear with me on this.

My boyfriend and I are in an LDR. I am overseas currently and he is in England but i am going to visit him in the summer for 2 months which I am really looking forward to. However, we are currently in somewhat of an argument.. over whether I should be shaving or just trimming 'down there'.

He has said previously that he likes it when I shave (which i normally do anyway). He has now turned his ideas around however and has now started requesting that I only 'trim'. He says that he finds this sexier and also means that I do not have to deal with potential 'razor burn' so it is the best of both worlds for both of us.

I on the other hand have been shaving everything since I was 15 because I have never heard of a guy that preferred trimmed over the classic 'hollywood' shave. I also feel more comfortable after having shaved it all and less self conscious around him when I have shaved it all because up till now I thought that he would prefer me to be completely shaved down there. Seeing as this is apparently no longer the case should I take him at his word and start to just trim or is he just being nice and trying to allow me to avoid occasional razor burn?

Please help and sorry for the essay long question!

From Poppybird19 x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did consider waxing but it does sound pretty painful from what I've heard! I don't really have a preference now as to whether I shave or just trim but I just don't know whether this is what he really wants or if he is just being nice when he says he'd prefer me to trim. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help x
Do whatever you feel most comfortable with, if you told him you would find him sexier completely shaved (or waxed-ouch!) do you think he would do it JUST because you preferred it?
Reply 3
You choose what to do, but if you need to stop razor burn you could try using hair removal cream, it might sting a little bit if you get it on the sensitive parts though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Do what makes you confident and feel secure and sexy
After all, confidence is sex appeal

I personally can only stand being shaved as anything else is just uncomfortable to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you've always shaved fully, you're probably more comfortable with that. I would just explain to him that you don't know if he really wants you to just trim, or he thinks it's what you'd prefer.
Both of you should just do Brazilian it will help
Reply 7
Original post by sugar_and_spice
Do whatever you feel most comfortable with, if you told him you would find him sexier completely shaved (or waxed-ouch!) do you think he would do it JUST because you preferred it?

Thanks for your help Sugar and Spice. I reckon he genuinely would because he has asked before about my preferences. The strange thing is, I don't understand why he would prefer to have me just trim and I"m worried that it's not because he finds it sexier but because he is just trying to be nice and I do really want to make him happy seeing as I don't have any strong preferences right now.

ChocoCoatedLemons, I have asked him and he swears blind that it's because he finds it sexier and he sees it as the better for both of us but I just don't know.

Elelia, thanks for this, it is a good point, I just am wondering now if he does find it sexier, if I can learn to be confident when i am only trimmed rather than fully shaved, wouldn't that be best of all for him?

Also general question, is it cleaner to shave? I've heard some places that it is and some places that it makes no difference what so ever. Does anyone know?

Thanks all, really appreciate it :smile:

Poppybird19 x
Reply 8
I'm really not sure why he'd say that.

Although I will say that shaved is great... providing it is cleanly shaved. When there are sharp little hairs it's not a nice feeling, especially if it rubbing on my body.
Reply 9
I'm happy with a bit of hair, so guys like that do exist! My ex had full bush which I didn't mind, except hairs can get caught in the throat... I think it's so common now that most girls are more comfortable shaven.
Original post by Poppybird19
Thanks for your help Sugar and Spice. I reckon he genuinely would because he has asked before about my preferences. The strange thing is, I don't understand why he would prefer to have me just trim and I"m worried that it's not because he finds it sexier but because he is just trying to be nice and I do really want to make him happy seeing as I don't have any strong preferences right now.

ChocoCoatedLemons, I have asked him and he swears blind that it's because he finds it sexier and he sees it as the better for both of us but I just don't know.

Elelia, thanks for this, it is a good point, I just am wondering now if he does find it sexier, if I can learn to be confident when i am only trimmed rather than fully shaved, wouldn't that be best of all for him?

Also general question, is it cleaner to shave? I've heard some places that it is and some places that it makes no difference what so ever. Does anyone know?

Thanks all, really appreciate it :smile:

Poppybird19 x

Whether he would prefer it if you did just trim or is saying that because he thinks you would find it more comfortable, just explain that you feel more confident shaving (unless you want to trim, then no explanation needed!) He loves you so either way I'm sure he won't mind :smile: unless you let it grow so much it's like a jungle down there, then I think that might be a bit of a shock :-/
Original post by Poppybird19
never heard of a guy that preferred trimmed over the classic 'hollywood' shave.

When it comes to it most people don't care, and some of us do prefer it :P but just depends what you prefer.
Reply 12
Original post by sugar_and_spice
unless you let it grow so much it's like a jungle down there, then I think that might be a bit of a shock :-/

hahahaha yea, I think even he might have a bit of an issue with that! :P hahaha

x
Reply 13
Original post by Mankytoes
I'm happy with a bit of hair, so guys like that do exist! My ex had full bush which I didn't mind, except hairs can get caught in the throat... I think it's so common now that most girls are more comfortable shaven.

This is so useful to know! I didn't realise that guys do sometimes like a little bit of hair down there! I don't think I would EVER have a full bush though, just out of personal preference to keep things very tidy. I genuinely had no clue, it's kind of reassuring to know that some guys don't mind it though!

Reply 14
I have been doing brazilian waxes every 4 weeks since I was 16 (now 22) and am now doing laser removal to remove it permanently. I also get razor burns and ingrown hairs so this is the only way I can make sure I don't get them.

When people trim I always assume they remove the 'bikini line' by wax or shave and just cut the rest.
Razor burns is not very attractive to look at, so it could be he's suggesting just trimming because he thinks it looks better with hairs than razor burns.

You can use TendSkin against razor burns or ask a waxer/dermatologist.
(edited 11 years ago)
shave fully if its what you feel most comfortble doing, im sure hed much rather a confident girlfriend who feels sexy than one whose done what he wanted but feel self conscience and worried.

Oh and a note of warning dont get it waxed = AGONY
Original post by Millie228
I have been doing brazilian waxes since I was 17 and am now doing laser removal to remove it permanently. I also get razor burns and ingrown hairs so this is the only way I can make sure I don't get them.

When people trim I always assume they remove the 'bikini line' by wax or shave and just cut the rest.
Razor burns is not very attractive to look at, so it could be he's suggesting just trimming because he thinks it looks better with hairs than razor burns.

You can use TendSkin against razor burns or ask a waxer/dermatologist.

Is laser removal expensive?
Reply 17
Original post by SillyMilly
Is laser removal expensive?

It's about £180 per treatment, and you need 6-8 treatments, six weeks between each.
Original post by Millie228
It's about £180 per treatment, and you need 6-8 treatments, six weeks between each.

oh wow does it work though? and can you get this done at local salons etc? ive been thinking about it but worried about the cost!
Reply 19
Original post by SillyMilly
oh wow does it work though? and can you get this done at local salons etc? ive been thinking about it but worried about the cost!

I've only been doing one treatment so far. Was meant to do a second one recently but had to cancel (within 24 hrs, so had to pay half!).
I got a LOT of ingrown hairs after the first one, which is a pain, but they are meant to go away once the hairs are all dead. I really hope there won't be any marks after them, so just have to wait and see.
I have no idea how many places offer them, I go to a salon 10 mins from my place in London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending