The Student Room Group

OpIsrael - Cyber Attack On Israel Last Night

Last night I was just checking my facebook account before going to bed, many of my friends had started posting statuses about a campaign known as OpIsrael, this kept me up till 6 in the morning. Throughout the night I followed what was happening online and tried to gather as much information as I could. Last night, many twitter and facebook accounts were hacked, Israeli credit card details and Israeli agents details were posted on the internet for the whole world to see.

OpIsrael is a campaign started by the cyber group called "The Anonymous", according to them, various different hacking teams across the world joined together to unite against Israel and to protest against the crimes the state is committing against the Palestinians. Here is the video they released on youtube talking about their plans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q760tsz1Z7M&feature

The first stage of their plan, to try wipe Israel of the internet was started last night and is still continuing. According to Haaretz newspaper over 19,000 facebook accounts were hacked last night. They also released around 30,000 Israeli card details online, I saw these details myself but am not going to post them here, Danny Ayalon, Israel's Deputy FM has vowed revenge and said that the credit card hack is terrorism. [http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/01/20121845638240672.html]

Many Israeli Websites and Twitter accounts were hacked and I was able to take screenshots of them:

Screenshot_2013-04-07-05-28-58[1].png 10034_451685048239910_1046359216_n.jpg Screenshot_2013-04-07-05-09-09[1].png

On twitter they have started a trending hashtag #OpIsrael which Twitter did not allow to go on the Trending Topics although the hashtag was very popular last night. Their Twitter account is @Op_Isael from which they are posting updates.They have also warned Israel of starting the second stage of their plan which is to find out Israel's future plans and expose them.

What do you think of this "cyber-war" that is going on? I find it quite interesting how many people around the world are going against the Zionist regime and feel they are oppressing the Palestinians. Just earlier this year George Galloway walked out of a debate he was meant to have with an Israeli Student and said that he does not recognise Israel as a country.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
....and then they were hacked.

Personally I think the message is a reminder and momentous. For those of you who don't know what's going on then check out my post:

http://ismakousar.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/operation-israel-when-hacktivists-take-the-spotlight/

Feel free to comment and rate. I've recently started blogging to gain a brief 'journalistic' experience and to get into the habit of writing.

Appreciated. :smile:
I'm rather a fan of Anonymous (although of course they're not one cohesive movement), and they're right in what they've said about Israel's violations, so I don't care what they've done.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I'm rather a fan of Anonymous, and they're right in what they've said about Israel's violations, so I don't care what they've done.

True say :smile:
Reply 5
In regards to your blog 'Dat Bias.'

Also, I do get fed up of this branding 'Anonymous' as if they're a single cohesive group like Lulzsec were. There are just as many who are 'part' of 'Anonymous' that would oppose this operation. That's the beauty of Anon, they're a whirlwind of chaos.

Anyway, I think this operation was pretty pointless. It's not as if people are unaware of what is going on in Gaza/Palestine, and this really served no purpose as a protest.
Reply 7
Why would they target ordinary citizens ?
Reply 8
Original post by Steevee
In regards to your blog 'Dat Bias.'

Also, I do get fed up of this branding 'Anonymous' as if they're a single cohesive group like Lulzsec were. There are just as many who are 'part' of 'Anonymous' that would oppose this operation. That's the beauty of Anon, they're a whirlwind of chaos.

Anyway, I think this operation was pretty pointless. It's not as if people are unaware of what is going on in Gaza/Palestine, and this really served no purpose as a protest.

But the fact that it hits the media is a reiteration of what is going on.

Of course it's biased :smile: It contains my opinions, if that's what you mean by 'Dat Bias'
Reply 9
Original post by Kousar
But the fact that it hits the media is a reiteration of what is going on.

Of course it's biased :smile: It contains my opinions, if that's what you mean by 'Dat Bias'

True, but when you write blatent un-truths, by this I mean your claim about it being the largest internet attack in history, and ridiculous lines such as 'Their justification appears to be reasonable making the question of legality somewhat irrelavent and petty.' You really only hurt your own credability and make yourself look silly. You don't have to have impartiality, but equally there is such a thing as too far.

Although thats what they are saying, they also said that they would get revenge so I dont think they completely failed but the damage wasnt as much as expected.
Original post by Frube
Why would they target ordinary citizens ?

It was mainly targeted at the governments online activity but also hacked pro-israelis, they apologized to the innocent civilians about hacking them as I read on twitter last night.
I support much of Anonymous's work, this included. So there you go, that's my two cents.
Reply 14
I love how much people are making of this.

Hacking Facebook accounts is one thing, childs play really when we're talking about real hacking activity. The Credit Cards? A cause for concern, but I've seen nothing to suggest that any real threat to the Israeli Government's systems exist. They have up-to-the-minute cyber defence due to continuous cyber attacks from various Islamic groups based in Iran and Pakistan.
I support much of Anonymous's work, this included. So there you go, that's my two cents.

You should be aware that they are not a cohesive organisation. The uniformity of their videos gives the illusion there are literally thousands of expert hackers and political activists behind each operation which gets announced, but you only really need a couple of teenagers in their mom's basement and free afternoon to make a three minute announcement.
Reply 16
Original post by malikabdullah96
I have similar views on this, good post.

Reply 17
Original post by Steevee
True, but when you write blatent un-truths, by this I mean your claim about it being the largest internet attack in history, and ridiculous lines such as 'Their justification appears to be reasonable making the question of legality somewhat irrelavent and petty.' You really only hurt your own credability and make yourself look silly. You don't have to have impartiality, but equally there is such a thing as too far.

Now about blatent un-truths, thats your opinion. To you it's blatent un-truths to many others it isn't! Why, juts because you are in disagreement with me doesn't mean they are 'blatant un-truths'!
About the claim that it is the largest interent attack, I didn't just pull that out of thin air. I've been reasearching and looking at articles. By the by, I'm bound to make mistakes. I'm a learner!
Original post by sugar-n-spice
You should be aware that they are not a cohesive organisation. The uniformity of their videos gives the illusion there are literally thousands of expert hackers and political activists behind each operation which gets announced, but you only really need a couple of teenagers in their mom's basement and free afternoon to make a three minute announcement.

I already know that. It certainly wasn't new information. There is no way to join Anonymous, therefore it can never be a cohesive group.
I already know that. It certainly wasn't new information. There is no way to join Anonymous, therefore it can never be a cohesive group.

Then how can you support their work? :confused: Tomorrow someone could release a video saying "This is anonymous and we want to kill the Palestinians for no reason at all."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending