The Student Room Group

Best university for International Relatioins

Hello, 25-year-old, female, IndianI am new to this forum and this is, obviously, my first post. I really hope that you guyz would be able to help me with choice of university for Master's programme in International Relations. I have been offered a place at:1. Sheffield2. Bristol 3. York4. Sussex5. Birmingham6. Newcastle among others. Keeping in mind some financial constraints, I am looking for a university, which would have a great programme, placement cell and can fit into my pocket as well. Now, I have compared fee structures and Sheffield despite being highest ranked among them is cheapest also. Other threads in this website suggest that city is cheaper as well. Should I really go for Sheffield or any other options weighs better? Please suggest!
Have a look at Bath :wink: i think i saw it when i was flicking through the prospectus :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
Have a look at Bath :wink: i think i saw it when i was flicking through the prospectus :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have applied to Bath as well, but eight weeks n no reply yet. I am afraid I dare not miss last date to accept offer from others while I wait for Bath.
Firstly, give Bath a reminder. Write to the secretary /administrator to the head of department. Once you have heard from them you will be able to make an informed choice.

Secondly, you need to think about what you mean by "good", and what you plan to do after completing the course. The only obvious career that is linked to an IR degree is being a diplomat, and for that, a degree from Oxford or Cambridge is vastly more valuable than one from anywhere else. That is not a comment on the quality of the course and facilities but on the attitudes and prejudices of future employers.

I don't think that you need to worry too much about missing closing dates at Sheffield or wherever. Remember that UK universities are desperately short of money, and tuition fees from international students are an important part of the way they solve their financial problems. Equally, I doubt very much whether what they provide actually constitutes "value for money", so unless you have a scholarship I suggest you look at the excellent and far more affordable English-medium courses offered at universities in mainland Europe (particularly Netherlands and Germany, but there is also an excellent international English-medium university in St Petersburg, whose students are mainly from the USA).
Reply 4
Original post by Voyager_2002
you need to think about what you mean by "good", and what you plan to do after completing the course. The only obvious career that is linked to an IR degree is being a diplomat, and for that, a degree from Oxford or Cambridge is vastly more valuable than one from anywhere else. That is not a comment on the quality of the course and facilities but on the attitudes and prejudices of future employers.

Hi Voyager,

Thanks for suggestion. I am planning to utilise my international relations knowledge in the field of journalism, as in foreign affairs correspondent, etc.
Do you think a course from any of these universities would stand ground in that case.
Reply 5
Original post by Voyager_2002
Firstly, give Bath a reminder. Write to the secretary /administrator to the head of department. Once you have heard from them you will be able to make an informed choice.

Secondly, you need to think about what you mean by "good", and what you plan to do after completing the course. The only obvious career that is linked to an IR degree is being a diplomat, and for that, a degree from Oxford or Cambridge is vastly more valuable than one from anywhere else. That is not a comment on the quality of the course and facilities but on the attitudes and prejudices of future employers.

I don't think that you need to worry too much about missing closing dates at Sheffield or wherever. Remember that UK universities are desperately short of money, and tuition fees from international students are an important part of the way they solve their financial problems. Equally, I doubt very much whether what they provide actually constitutes "value for money", so unless you have a scholarship I suggest you look at the excellent and far more affordable English-medium courses offered at universities in mainland Europe (particularly Netherlands and Germany, but there is also an excellent international English-medium university in St Petersburg, whose students are mainly from the USA).

The bolded section is not true - neither the statement about career options (IR is a very broad field and there are myriad career options in both the public and private sectors) nor the unis (LSE trumps both of those in IR and for some specialty fields like War Studies, KCL does too for example).

As for missing closing dates, etc, it is not the case that all unis accept all international students because of finances!
Reply 6
Thanks all for great suggestions. But provided from the six options stated at first (Sheffield, Bristol, Sussex, Birmingham and Newcastle), which one do you recommend highly for both quality of education and affordability of town?
Sheffield and Newcastle are fun and affordable places to live.

As for quality (or "quality") I suggest you talk to the people you hope to work for later: there is an enormous amount of snobbery around, and an employer's perceptions may have no foundation in academic reality yet make an enormous difference to you.
Reply 8
Original post by IRaspirant
Thanks all for great suggestions. But provided from the six options stated at first (Sheffield, Bristol, Sussex, Birmingham and Newcastle), which one do you recommend highly for both quality of education and affordability of town?

In terms what quality of education and affordability; I would say it should be a choice between York and Bristol.

In terms of international reputation, Bristol would win against the lot.

However, York has an excellent Politics department (speaking from experience) and cost of living is reasonable. In my opinion, York is probably the most reasonable in terms of expenses, nights out are relatively cheap and the city has good links to other major cities.

I grew up in Newcastle and I'd say it was a rather expensive city to live in. In terms of a night out in town - drinks and entry costs are rather high (compared to York).

Hope that helps and good luck with your choice :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by psychedelicious
I don't know if I agree with your cost analysis. I lived in Newcastle until very recently. Accommodation (particularly in Fenham where I used to live, where there is a large Indian community and facilities)and nights out are pretty cheap there. I'm from North Yorkshire and York is well known for being quite upmarket and expensive.

To the OP: I went to Newcastle University for undergraduate studies. Feel free to ask any general questions about the University, being a student in Newcastle etc.

Agreed- Fenham, is a cheap place to live but I've not really been there much. I up in Gosforth/Jesmond. Understandably, as a student one would chose to go to the cheaper places than compared to places you'd go to with parents or old school friends. I've only really experienced the student side of York, and found it rather cheap compared to Newcastle. It's the same for you except you have experienced Newcastle as a student and thereby find the living costs reasonable when compared to York.

I think to an extent, the cost of living for students in most cities is around the same (except London). However, the OP wanted to consider the reputation for IR in the universities listed above and in my opinion York and Bristol have a better international and national reputation for Politics.

NB - I still think a night out in Newcastle is rather expensive. I don't know about nights out in Fenham, but I'm speaking of clubs in town and quayside. Excluding the specific student nights and deals in clubs, I have noticed a pint might cost a bit more in Newcastle than in York. Even student nights in Newcastle, entry costs are sometimes up to £10. The most I've ever paid to get in to a club in York, however, is £4. Again, you might have had a different experience - maybe we go to different clubs!
I'll stick up for Sheffield, it's become a lot more IR-focused in recent years and the academics are truly brilliant. Not to mention it has the reputation of being the 'top' department for research and is very very affordable living wise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending