The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jama mj
we learn about this kind of behavior in psychology and the more you gamble the more it sucks you in. your chances of loosing is much larger than your chances of winning because these games are designed to give you the illusion that you could take away money but even if you do you are likely to come back and loose that money, so in a way you are pretty much robbing you of your cash whilst giving you false hope, this is a very dark path you seem to be taking i would advise getting some help or support. pathological gambling is a serious risk and people most of the time have their lives ruined by letting these betting shops prey on their greed but in the end the only one who looses something is you.

Thats a rather subjective subject, there are people low intelligence out there, that can't understand simple concepts. It should be your job to help them "mr psychologist", its the same with academics, your going to have winner and losers...... i.e. the intelligent people go to good universities/make money its the same with gambling the smart people win. We also learn about winning in our discipline.

"You can't cheat an honest man". - W. C. Fields

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4482273.stm
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fat_hobbit
yeah i won the heat game.

I had a lot on the heat, but i started hedging because there was always a 5 point diff. But I made a 100 (which I just lost, thanks to Milan)

Indiana was SHOCKING, had to hedge. They played like absolute ****.

I fancy the knicks tonight at +8.

If they will lose, it will be by 4-5 points imo.

I ran so good on Louisville yesterday! Just kept backing them when they were down double digits.....you could tell they were going to comeback the tournament favourites. Team was different class to Wichita State and theres never been a number 9 seed team make the finals.
Original post by jama mj
we learn about this kind of behavior in psychology and the more you gamble the more it sucks you in. your chances of loosing is much larger than your chances of winning because these games are designed to give you the illusion that you could take away money but even if you do you are likely to come back and loose that money, so in a way you are pretty much robbing you of your cash whilst giving you false hope, this is a very dark path you seem to be taking i would advise getting some help or support. pathological gambling is a serious risk and people most of the time have their lives ruined by letting these betting shops prey on their greed but in the end the only one who looses something is you.
this is a very narrow minded and wrong view. the majority of gamblers are losers. they are idiots who cant figure out that betting on roulette or blindly betting on sports is a -ev proposition. but there is a small proportion of intelligent people who make lots of money because they know where to find +ev situations.
Original post by SloaneRanger
I ran so good on Louisville yesterday! Just kept backing them when they were down double digits.....you could tell they were going to comeback the tournament favourites. Team was different class to Wichita State and theres never been a number 9 seed team make the finals.

who do you think will win in the final?
Original post by Movember
this is a very narrow minded and wrong view. the majority of gamblers are losers. they are idiots who cant figure out that betting on roulette or blindly betting on sports is a -ev proposition. but there is a small proportion of intelligent people who make lots of money because they know where to find +ev situations.

Thats the problem, little kids form opinions, with no life experience...."my mummy says gambling is bad".......:tongue:
who do you think will win in the final?

Lines at Louisville -4 at the moment, it will of course with the influx of money etc....but they seem the team to win it outright. But as you know it play you could potentially get louisville +
Reply 566
Thats a rather subjective subject, there are people low intelligence out there, that can't understand simple concepts. It should be your job to help them "mr psychologist", its the same with academics, your going to have winner and losers...... i.e. the intelligent people go to good universities/make money its the same with gambling the smart people win. We also learn about winning in our discipline.

"You can't cheat an honest man". - W. C. Fields

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4482273.stm

i was just saying this is something familiar to and i have an idea of how bad it can get. i was just offering my advice no need to get pissy about it
Reply 567
Original post by Movember

i was just saying this can get much worse the longer you do it the worse it will inevitably get, yes there are some who make a living from this but the majority wedge themselves so far into debt the loose everything and its all down to how early on you quite, on average it takes about a year to get fully addicted to gambling its no less dangerous than any other vice
Original post by jama mj
i was just saying this can get much worse the longer you do it the worse it will inevitably get, yes there are some who make a living from this but the majority wedge themselves so far into debt the loose everything and its all down to how early on you quite, on average it takes about a year to get fully addicted to gambling its no less dangerous than any other vice

I agree

The worst type of gamblers are the ones who THINK they are profitable and yet are either just riding a big wave of luck or delusional

I have no doubt people make money off gambling due to it not being an exact science (unless you talk roulette and blackjack etc) but they are few and far between.

Also, professional gambling (of which I know a few people) is kinda a waste of your life unless you are solely driven by money.
Original post by jama mj
i was just saying this is something familiar to and i have an idea of how bad it can get. i was just offering my advice no need to get pissy about it

But you not being very constructive in helping those like OLLIELEAKE whoses lost £500 already.....as he mentioned its quite a substantial amount to lose to him. Wouldn't it be more productive to give him advice in how to recuperate the money lost?
The kid aka OLLIELEAKE (op) was trying to be Rembrandt with a pack of crayons!
(edited 11 years ago)
But you not being very constructive in helping those like OLLIELEAKE whoses lost £500 already.....as he mentioned its quite a substantial amount to lose to him. Wouldn't it be more productive to give him advice in how to recuperate the money lost?

he is being constructive in regards to those who may go on to do something similar to OLLIELEAKE though and I think that deserves some kudos, even if he is coming in from a textbook point of view (which is also correct in a large number of cases!)
Original post by Stevo112
he is being constructive in regards to those who may go on to do something similar to OLLIELEAKE though and I think that deserves some kudos, even if he is coming in from a textbook point of view (which is also correct in a large number of cases!)

Yeah, your going to have those in society that lose, if it that didn't happen no one would prosper and we would all be equal. Its a fact of life you get winners and losers. In any walk of life.....let me put it something he likes (jama mj), you get Freud, Degas, Picassos, then you get your street artists who think there all that but are in fact nothing. Gambling is driven by money, but so are most dreams and ambitions. The whole purpose of OLLIELEAKE intentions was to make money, he obviously failed very badly, the kid should have done his research. As if WilliamHill, would be there to give him his "£30 a day" for sweeties. We should be encouraging him to perhaps go back to the drawing board and research his pursuits, like laying and backing then viola his £500 be back in his pocket within no time. At the same time he might be slightly wiser. At the moment his comments all they have reaffirmed is he is still -£500.

Tigers Woods, didn't become Tiger Wood's overnight! Neither was Rome built in a day.
I hope you boys betted on the new york knicks.
I hope you boys betted on the new york knicks.

Yeah, that was a good call...was laughing by the 3rd quarter and on the road too.
Yeah, that was a good call...was laughing by the 3rd quarter and on the road too.

Will probably bet on the orlando magic when they hit +10.
Basketball tip:

Bet on miami heat and NY Knicks.

Best teams in the division imo.
Yeah, your going to have those in society that lose, if it that didn't happen no one would prosper and we would all be equal. Its a fact of life you get winners and losers. In any walk of life.....let me put it something he likes (jama mj), you get Freud, Degas, Picassos, then you get your street artists who think there all that but are in fact nothing. Gambling is driven by money, but so are most dreams and ambitions. The whole purpose of OLLIELEAKE intentions was to make money, he obviously failed very badly, the kid should have done his research. As if WilliamHill, would be there to give him his "£30 a day" for sweeties. We should be encouraging him to perhaps go back to the drawing board and research his pursuits, like laying and backing then viola his £500 be back in his pocket within no time. At the same time he might be slightly wiser. At the moment his comments all they have reaffirmed is he is still -£500.

Tigers Woods, didn't become Tiger Wood's overnight! Neither was Rome built in a day.

I will add to this. Betting is stressful.

To get a decent return, you have gotta hedge, everyone goes though bad runs, and that's when it is extremely important. Also find it's difficult to make money quickly, because the wins/losses goes in waves. You may win 200, but then lose a 100 if you get my drift. But as long as you are ahead, that is all that counts.

Earlier, I could have lost 130 on the milan match if I never hedged, but because I cashed in, when I saw it was 2-2, I got that figure down to 90, and now after the win with Knicks, I have got that figure down to 20.

With my next match I will keep hedging (if I have to) until I get the 20 down to 0. At which point I am back to where I was if it wasnt for the milan game.

Also watch the games. And stay away from football.
(edited 11 years ago)
I will add to this. Betting is stressful.

To get a decent return, you have gotta hedge, everyone goes though bad runs, and that's when it is extremely important. Also find it's difficult to make money quickly, because the wins/losses goes in waves. You may win 200, but then lose a 100 if you get my drift. But as long as you are ahead, that is all that counts.

Earlier, I could have lost 130 on the milan match if I never hedged, but because I cashed in, when I saw it was 2-2, I got that figure down to 90, and now after the win with Knicks, I have got that figure down to 20.

With my next match I will keep hedging (if I have to) until I get the 20 down to 0. At which point I am back to where I was if it wasnt for the milan game.

Also watch the games. And stay away from football.

True say I've been done by alot of 9th inning rallies, 90th minute goals, losing after having match point....last ball in the cricket.... backing and laying is the best way forward.
Reply 578
Original post by Stevo112
I agree

The worst type of gamblers are the ones who THINK they are profitable and yet are either just riding a big wave of luck or delusional

I have no doubt people make money off gambling due to it not being an exact science (unless you talk roulette and blackjack etc) but they are few and far between.

Also, professional gambling (of which I know a few people) is kinda a waste of your life unless you are solely driven by money.

yeah its good that this guy quit before he had some serious debt problems but the main thing is to seek help and get some support form a therapist or someone who specializes in addiction because even though he has stopped there is a chance he could relapse if he experiences problems or needs money. i agree being driven by money is problematic i think if stability and sustainability are the op's goal he should try and get some extra work rather than taking out loans
True say I've been done by alot of 9th inning rallies, 90th minute goals, losing after having match point....last ball in the cricket.... backing and laying is the best way forward.

The worst

Latest

Trending

Trending