The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aky786UK
Don't think it's a coincidence that DDG's form has become consistent and more filled with confidence since he's had a regular stream of defenders in front of him, think that's majorly helped and the critics have quietened down because he has kept clean sheets. He's not solid as a house yet though; still need to be fully convinced of his aerial abilities, communication and concentration. The latter is the main thing for me, Van Der Sar was someone he can learn from in regards to how VDS would be doing nothing for 80 minutes but pull off a safe in the 81st minute and be focused.

But DDG's young and he's got the jersey for now and should finish off these nonsense rumours of Begovic.

I've got a feeling Lindegaard may depart in the summer, seeing how DDG has done and his desire to be a number one, might see him want to leave.

Should have kept that guy who you sold to hannover. Apparently he's been quality over there. Can't think of any experienced keepers who sit on the bench that are quality. Maybe just have to buy a prem keeper or something like that. Sorensen or get an unknown keeper from a foreign league like with lindegaard.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by doggyfizzel
I've never rated Given. After I wrote it I had a think but I couldn't think of anyone of the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few decent keepers in their mid thirties knocking about Europe.

he was once unbelievable, or at least he had a blinder whenever I saw him. But he cant even get a game at villa now.

Julio Cesar?
Original post by Zürich
he was once unbelievable, or at least he had a blinder whenever I saw him. But he cant even get a game at villa now.

Julio Cesar?

Would want gametime.

How about carlo cudicini. Worth a shout as a backup keeper tbf.
Original post by jam277
Would want gametime.

could see Cesar at Arsenal though as the stop gap whilst Szczesny learns the ropes...

Cudicini is pretty poor tbh, couldnt get a game at Spurs even. Freidl is good but nearly 42 I think which is ridiculous. Coupet? Paul Robinson?
Original post by jam277
Would want gametime.

Isnt he off playing in America? He's probably getting paid quite well and the lifestyle is better :P

Watching the Wigan - QPR game. Awful game btw, all Wigan do is pass it sideways. I was wondering if Henrique has gotten any game time? What's the point of sending him on loan when he doesn't get off the bench?
Original post by Zürich
could see Cesar at Arsenal though as the stop gap whilst Szczesny learns the ropes...

Cudicini is pretty poor tbh, couldnt get a game at Spurs even. Freidl is good but nearly 42 I think which is ridiculous. Coupet? Paul Robinson?

What, Coupet is still playing thought he'd retired.

Cudicini wasn't playing because he wasn't in 'arrys first 11. He was amazing for us but obviously petr cech came around. Freidel got bought and then lloris got bought so there was no way he'd get a lot of gametime. Still think he has quality or at least a good mentor. But he's in america apparently.
I've added a discussion thread for the Manchester city game which can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2312786
Original post by samiz20891
Buffon who is unlikely to leave.

I don't think we need anyone that good. Someone who is quite frankly midtable material at best. A second keeper needs to be able to come in and do a job for the 1-4 game a keeper might be injured for, but never be good enough that there isn't a clearly dominant keeper.
Original post by doggyfizzel
I don't think we need anyone that good. Someone who is quite frankly midtable material at best. A second keeper needs to be able to come in and do a job for the 1-4 game a keeper might be injured for, but never be good enough that there isn't a clearly dominant keeper.

I think it will be tough to get a keeper in their twilight years who is decent as they are likely to only prolong their career if they are getting games. I think a few years someone like Freidel would have been a good shout and if Howard hadn't signed an extension, he could have been decent. I guess we will still have Ben Amos if Lingergaard leaves.
Reply 2389
Original post by Eboracum
I'm a little bit nervous about Monday, to be honest.

Obviously, we are in a better position going into it than we were going into last years game, but it wouldn't be ideal having just lost to Chelsea, and closing in on the league title to lose to them lot. Really we could do with at least drawing.

I'm not convinced the league is wrapped up. If we're turned over on Monday, then you've got back to back trips at West Ham and Stoke and that isn't ideal. And all of a sudden City are back in it.

A 2-1 to United would be a dream. I still think about van Persie's goal at the Etihad. What a moment.

Exactly Mancini is acting like it's the last game of the season a 15

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2390
The season isn't over until it's impossible for city to catch up nows not the time to start slacking like what happened last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't help but look at rooney's overhead kick-hoping that Van persie/Rooney will score a spectacular goal tomorrow.

Concentrate at 1:03 ON FERGIE (rewind if you have to!) he said the f word 3-4 times in disbelief.

[video="youtube;VjWfcIr8JO4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjWfcIr8JO4[/video]

Also, tomorrow is going to be a great atmosphere by the sounds of it.
Reply 2392
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22060822
who ever is behind the commercial deals for us is a legend.. Cant wait till we milk Nike!
if we win we go 18 points clear with 21 points to play for...insane lead, kind hope we just blitz every game in the league now, we have nout else to play for so we may as well just say a big two fingers to City and Chelsea by winning by a country mile and such!
Original post by diggy
The season isn't over until it's impossible for city to catch up nows not the time to start slacking like what happened last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely agree with you. But I'm sure Fergie will make sure the boys don't start slacking. Just need two wins and that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jakemittle
Definitely agree with you. But I'm sure Fergie will make sure the boys don't start slacking. Just need two wins and that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You all seem to be worrying too much. If we were in your position I would just be enjoying our saunter to the title. :dontknow:
Original post by KingMessi
You all seem to be worrying too much. If we were in your position I would just be enjoying our saunter to the title. :dontknow:

Even if you knew that the season before you were in a similar position but blew it? :biggrin:
Even if you knew that the season before you were in a similar position but blew it? :biggrin:

You weren't this far clear last season at any stage, though, were you? I seem to remember you were nine points clear, and with more games left than remain now.

You have 7 extra points. No key injuries for the rest of the season. You're really, really not in a similar position.
The difference between the two clubs is exemplified by the difference between the two managers. Ferguson is fired by success, by earning success and by true competition and building a team with a core of home grown players, Evans, Cleverley, Phil Jones, Welbeck, Smalling, Powell, Young, Rooney, Zaha, Giggs, Scholes, Fletcher, Carrick etc (I really hope fergie adds one/two midfielders this year as he admitted that there will be stronger competition next year, especially with morinho coming to chelsea, city going to spend another £100 million etc. Also he admitted there are issues with giggs, and scholes getting older-so i am 100 % he will add at least one midfielder next season-just have to.)
whereas mancini and little City are excited by Mansour's money power and motivated by the possibility of purchasing a host of readymade global all-stars every season, ultimately destabilising any consistency that may have been building. This is the nature of the quick fix project, irresponsible spending for short term gain. mancini says he needs to spend £100 million this summer in order to compete with the machine that is United. As if spending almost one billion pounds was not enough to have built a competitive team.
Since 1992 when the Premier League began United have spent a total of £531m on transfers and in that time Sir Alex Ferguson has build THREE different world class teams that have dominated the EPL... And all threehave had a good crop of English players in...
Now.... If you look at Man City since 2008, they have spent nearly £600m on players and have not even built one world-class team yet, the only decent home grown player they have is Joe hart and Roberta is doing his utmost to destabilise him... all the rest are imports.

Clubs with numpties like Mancini at the helm, will never give
youth a real chance, he's putting his shopping list in already, when he's clearly already spent way too much.
The lame excuses have been gushing from
Bobby Manc & his army of 'cheque book berties' who've been out in force with their fantasy football wish lists.
Where's this fantastic youth set up of yours, & when are we all going to see some of it come through?
Truth be told it's all as plastic as those empty seats at the half empty council house.
When Sugar Daddy Shake finds a new plaything, City will drop back to their true football position, Lower league that is. You haven't earned the right to be where you are, it has, like you, been bought and paid for by Mansour. You don't have the fan base or revenue to sustain a League 1 club, let alone a Premier League club.

Latest