The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by MsCourtney
Russia does not have the technology to launch nuclear weapons quickly anywhere there want unlike the states.

Anyways if Russia and USA went to a big war, it would likely escalate to EU + UK + Australia + Canada + USA + Japan vs Russia (with PRC manufacturing but not fighting for Russia) IMO.

In which case the states would win but it would be a devastating war.

Now I don't think either country is stupid enough (Russia included) to start a nuclear war conflict.

How can you possibly know that Russia haven't got the technology to launch a nuclear weapon?

If Russia went into a war with USA it wouldn't escalate.. The whole planet would be blown up.
Original post by ChelseaFCCC
How can you possibly know that Russia haven't got the technology to launch a nuclear weapon?

If Russia went into a war with USA it wouldn't escalate.. The whole planet would be blown up.

Do you really think either country would blow up earth when we haven't colonised other planets yet?

I'm basing my beliefs about russian technology as per media reports etc and the companies that each side has manufacturing weapons and aircraft.
Reply 122
Do you really think either country would blow up earth when we haven't colonised other planets yet?

Yes. Why would anyone care? yes they will care about the deaths and all that, but as everyone on the planet will know, if russia fight vs usa, its end of the world. They not gonna send troops and tanks to another country, when they can simply launch a nuclear weapon and sit in the office.
Reply 123
In terms of national armed forces:
USA > any other country
USA > China > UK, France > Russia

so yeah, USA would **** Russia up
Original post by DaniilKaya
crap , Russia will win

oh dear.
It doesn't matter..... if its a war, both countries will use nuclear weapons. Britain nor france have enough nuclear weapons to completely wipe out russia from the map. On the other hand, Russia have enough nuclear weapons to blow up this planet.... think for yourself.

I don't know where you get all these ideas up, because you are seriously deluded!
Original post by Dr00n
yeah but there's no point talking about alliances because then everyone would get destroyed, Russia have strong alliances aswell. Britain and France wouldn't beat Russia

Britain and France could easily match Russia in conventional warfare, and it is highly probable they would win.
Reply 128
**** the U.S.A!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Without allies, or any nuclear weapons (of course) who would win?

Russia as they are battle hardened to no end compared to the Americans who at the end of the day are not put through the same paces and rely on technology too much, hell the British military much better than America's too just a shame it is so small in comparison.
Reply 130
Original post by the mezzil
Britain and France could easily match Russia in conventional warfare, and it is highly probable they would win.

Maybe if it was a quick war not on Russia soil with limited objectives. I think if it dragged out you would see Russia win, larger manpower pool ect
Reply 131
China would destroy both of them. If not now, they certainly would be able to in the near future.
Original post by Aj12
Maybe if it was a quick war not on Russia soil with limited objectives. I think if it dragged out you would see Russia win, larger manpower pool ect

Hmmmm, maybe, but I disagree, I think a long term war might see the victory of France and Britain on Russian soil if they are able to secure oil and gas in the North Sea, or are able to protect either a mediterranean trade route or a Trans-Atlantic trade route with either South America, or the USA. A big, but possible task. However, I do not think that even if they did win on Russian soil, they would be able to occupy and control it effectively, given the large area of Russian, and as you say, the availability of manpower.
Reply 133
I don't know where you get all these ideas up, because you are seriously deluded!

Im deluded? you think Britain and France can take Russia.....How? its almost impossible, both of those countries have not got enough troops, missiles, bombs, tanks you name it.

Russia can probably destroy the whole Europe.
Original post by tehFrance
Russia as they are battle hardened to no end compared to the Americans who at the end of the day are not put through the same paces and rely on technology too much, hell the British military much better than America's too just a shame it is so small in comparison.
I don't see how they could possibly be any more battle hardened. The war in Georgia lasted a week, and the only other fighting has been an insurgency in Chechnya. I cannot see how they could be any more battle hardened than NATO troop many of whom will have seen multiple deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq. As for fitness the same will be true of most forces, at the upper end fitness is at athletic standards the rest will be average across the board. The avenge US or UK solider will be far better trained than the average, just as reflection of the money available for training exercises.

Original post by Jordan_1
China would destroy both of them. If not now, they certainly would be able to in the near future.
How exactly, in terms of a nuclear threat China is no more menacing than either. Other than that they have 1 aircraft carrier which is 80's soviet ship, its debatable whether they could even bring a war at present to US shores before getting in capability when they got there. 2 in the pipeline is still a long way behind the US. China may well be a military power in the future, but they won't be approaching the US for over a decade at least.
Reply 135
Russia does not have the technology to launch nuclear weapons quickly anywhere there want unlike the states.

Anyways if Russia and USA went to a big war, it would likely escalate to EU + UK + Australia + Canada + USA + Japan vs Russia (with PRC manufacturing but not fighting for Russia) IMO.

In which case the states would win but it would be a devastating war.

Now I don't think either country is stupid enough (Russia included) to start a nuclear war conflict.

Why would you think noone would ally with Russia, India potentially would (although i think they've got strong relationships with both so could go either way) China would side with Russia perhaps. Just from that you've got yourself a pretty strong retaliation.
Reply 136

I hope you mean together, because separated you can't actually believe we'd win.
Original post by Dr00n
Why would you think noone would ally with Russia, India potentially would (although i think they've got strong relationships with both so could go either way) China would side with Russia perhaps. Just from that you've got yourself a pretty strong retaliation.

Not many countries would want to go at war with the US. The way politics in India works, they probably won't do anything or will go with whichever bribes them and their politicians more. China (assuming on how they normally respond to US conflicts) would probably side with Russia but to keep its economy going strong they would probably supply weapons and manufacture for Russia. Again this is all assumption.

China's policies are mainly focused on its own economic advantage.

Obviously I am also considering that if such a war occurred Russia would be the ones at fault who start the conflict which is why other countries would not support them. Now if the US government turns into a dictatorship or something and is at fault, my assumptions are invalid.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 138
to be honest, I don't think a war between those two will ever happen, the closest to it will be USA and Russia supporting different side in a civil war in the middle east for example.

The cold war has already shown us this, the deterrent effect of nuclear warheads is too great for any pre-emptive strike to start a war.

However I believe if there was to be conflict it will come from the emergence of china as the new super power, followed by india, brazil and Russia on both economic, political and military aspects. China is untested and growing really rapidly, it also playing its cards close to its self, much of its motives are still unknown.

If you are expecting a war then keep your eyes on china!
Im deluded? you think Britain and France can take Russia.....How? its almost impossible, both of those countries have not got enough troops, missiles, bombs, tanks you name it.

Russia can probably destroy the whole Europe.

Yes they do have enough troops, ships, tanks etc. Do you have any idea of the size? Collectively, France and Britain can out gun, out maneuver, and out produce Russia with far superior weapons and technology. You also need to remember that although Russia has more tanks than Britain and France, many of them are not maintained to a good standard, and are relics of the Cold War. Britain and France have constantly updated their armoury, whereas Russia has not. It is no push over, but it is not an impossible task.

http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=United-Kingdom
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=France
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Russia

You're forgetting we'd also be on war footing, there will be conscription and mass production of equipment, just like in WW2.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest