The Student Room Group

GIRLS! do you hand wash your underwear?

This is really random I know but I wanna see what most people do. I would add a poll if I knew how to

I have been hand washing my knickers since I was like 10 or 11, and I have only now just come to the realization that this may not be the norm for most people (considering it's not a topic likely to come up in your average conversation).

I remember at the age of like 10 or 11 my mother told me and my sister (who is a year older than me) that we can no longer put our knickers in the washing machine and that we would have to start hand washing it. And it has been that way ever since ... every day when I get up to have a shower, I also wash the knickers that I was just wearing- with normal laundry detergent of course. I also remember thinking that it was weird as my brothers (older and younger) were not required to do the same. I was under the impression that all post-pubescent females do this until now.

I do stash my knickers in the washing machine once in a while, but just for the sake of it really, and these are knickers that have already been pre-hand washed. I'ts been forever ingrained in me that as a woman putting worn knickers in the washing is wrong/dirty lol

So yeah .. do ya ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope, I just shove my pants in the washing machine with everything else haha
Nah, they just go in with the rest of my clothes. :smile:
Reply 3
No, they go in the machine.
I have some expensive bras and knickers which I hand wash because I'm too scared to subject them to the uni washing machines which have a tendency to put holes in my garments :frown:
What the Hell? Why would you do that?

Stick the damn things in the wash with everything else.
Reply 6
Why would you do that? total waste of time & i probably wouldn't clean them as well as the washing machine does.
Nah just wash them I the machine, although if I have run out and can't be bothered/ can't afford to wash my clothes I'll just wash them in the sink in my room (oh to be a student)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Washing machine, I'd never find the time to handwash stuff! o.O
In the washing machine, for sure! I'm lazy like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Did your mother give you a reason?
WOW lol ... I CANNOT be the only one who does this?
this is madness :eek:

Spoiler

I handwash bras but not knickers. That seems ... odd. :erm:

I don't mean that offensively, it just seems strange you handwash them when you can easily put them in the washing machine with everything else.
Erm, I wash my bras by hand because it helps them to last longer and they don't get bashed about in the machine, but anything else just goes into the machine...
Reply 15
Original post by chanelleisme
WOW lol ... I CANNOT be the only one who does this?

Me, me! I hand wash too! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Nope just shove 'em in the washing machine. I hand wash expensive bras though, they end up all misshapen in the washing machine.

Did your mum say why you couldn't put them in the machine?
(edited 11 years ago)
Nah usually put most of it in the machine bar the nice lacy ones that I'm worried of getting ruined/mis-shapen :tongue:
Original post by x-Sophie-x
In the washing machine, for sure! I'm lazy like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope, never asked.
starting to think its cultural thing now
Original post by suncake
Me, me! I hand wash too! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yaaay
whats your ethnicity btw? im starting to think it's a cultural thing now

Latest