The Student Room Group

How to gain muscle and lose fat? *Girl*

I'm 5'5, 8st 11lbs (27.5in waist, 36.5 hips and 35in bust) and small framed. I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscule in the process, all while being as healthy as possible.
I've lost 8lbs since the 10th March and 1/2 inch of my waist each week, and would like to be about 8st 4lbs, 25in waist, 35-36in hips.

Am I going about gaining muscule/losing fat the right way? Is there something I'm missing?

I do 30-60mins intense HIIT 3-4 times per week.
I eat about 1400 -1500 calories on exercise days.
I eat 1300 on non exercise days.
I allow myself 1 'cheat' meal per week.

I eat mainly porridge, fruit,veg, brown bread, little bit of brown pasta, fish, humous, peanut butter, salad, eggs, green tea each day.

I aim to be at my ideal measurements/weight in about 1 month. Does this sound healthy/possible to gain muscule? T

his is NOT a diet, but a healthy lifestyle change

Scroll to see replies

You're not eating enough to gain any kind of significant muscle. The diet you have doesn't sound bad (although of course nobody knows your potion sizes) but you need to eat in a calorie surplus in order to gain muscle.

Are you sure you need to be 8st4? That sounds very very low indeed, especially if you're aiming for a fair amount of that to be made from muscle.

Glad to hear it's a lifestyle change rather than a diet; that's the best way!
Reply 2
Well you cant lose fat and gain muscle at the same time despite what people think. You eat a caloric deficit = you lose weight. You just end up more toned.

Personally, I would do 30mins weights (circuit training with dumbbells would be best) beforehand and 30mins HIIT afterwards for 4 days per week as a combination will burn the most amount of calories (weight training for women is very underrated and overlooked for burning calories). This will also provide you with the tone you want after the weight loss.

Also, add some core training to some of your workouts (3 times per week) allowing rest time for your core to recover.

If you stay at 1500kcal and follow the workout, you should lose about 2lbs per week meaning youll reach your goal in a month or so. If you dont then slightly reduce your calories by 100-200 per day and you should see the stubborn fat burn away easily.
Original post by NathanW
Well you cant lose fat and gain muscle at the same time despite what people think. You eat a caloric deficit = you lose weight. You just end up more toned.

What is "toning" if not burning fat and gaining muscle simultaneously?
Reply 4
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
You're not eating enough to gain any kind of significant muscle. The diet you have doesn't sound bad (although of course nobody knows your potion sizes) but you need to eat in a calorie surplus in order to gain muscle.

Are you sure you need to be 8st4? That sounds very very low indeed, especially if you're aiming for a fair amount of that to be made from muscle.

Glad to hear it's a lifestyle change rather than a diet; that's the best way!

Really? Last week I ate abit more-about 1600 calories daily/1500 non exercise days and didn't lose anything, which is why I cut out 100 calories this week.

I tend to eat 4 small meals i.e. breakfast will be porridge, afterwork out snack peanut butter/apples, lunch: 1 humous/lettice sandwhich, snack: same, tea: stir fry with fish, snack: fruit/humous.

Yeah, 8st 4lbs isn't set in stone, I just want to look and feel healthy and silm, my usual weight is 8st 7lbs and I don't feel thin enough then.

Even though I want to gain muscule, I have to be realistic, right now I have spare time and can work out alot, but when I get a job and move away it won't be as easy, I may not have enough money, I may be working 12 hour days etc. So I want to be realistic and get a nice, defined but not too high maintance body which I can maintain!

And yes, being healthy is much better than being thin (although I want both!) :biggrin:
Reply 5
What is "toning" if not burning fat and gaining muscle simultaneously?

Well it's still losing fat, so you have less fat, compared to the same amount of muscle= a more toned appearance. The proportions of fat to muscle are still reducing.

OP, why not focus on losing weight in a healthy way and then up your training and focus on muscle gain? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by NathanW

Personally, I would do 30mins weights (circuit training with dumbbells would be best) beforehand and 30mins HIIT afterwards for 4 days per week as a combination will burn the most amount of calories (weight training for women is very underrated and overlooked for burning calories). This will also provide you with the tone you want after the weight loss.

Also, add some core training to some of your workouts (3 times per week) allowing rest time for your core to recover.

If you stay at 1500kcal and follow the workout, you should lose about 2lbs per week meaning youll reach your goal in a month or so. If you dont then slightly reduce your calories by 100-200 per day and you should see the stubborn fat burn away easily.

I'm not too sure about that...

Anyway, by doing my HIIT I'm doing weights and cardio, and I heard that it's one of the best workouts, and I know I feel GREAT afterwards :smile: I also burn upto 500 calories per 60min workout (I have a HRT watch-not too realiable but I take the number with a pinch of salt!).
Reply 7
Also, if you like me (I'm also 5 ft 5 with a small frame) then 8 stone 4 isn't as skinny as people would think. It's definitely not underweight for me.
Reply 8
Original post by pandabird
Well it's still losing fat, so you have less fat, compared to the same amount of muscle= a more toned appearance. The proportions of fat to muscle are still reducing.

OP, why not focus on losing weight in a healthy way and then up your training and focus on muscle gain? :smile:

But I am? I'm exercising and eating healthy?

If you're in a calorie deficit, why would only fat be burned? Muscle would waste away, too, if it didn't have anything to sustain it.
wow you weigh very little! if you want to gain muscle then increase your protein intake and also de amount of carbs - your body will need the energy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
If you're in a calorie deficit, why would only fat be burned? Muscle would waste away, too, if it didn't have anything to sustain it.

I thought your body uses fat as a primary source and then muscle? I'm sure I've heard that muscle loss only occurs when you are very underweight and have very little fat stores.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Also, if you like me (I'm also 5 ft 5 with a small frame) then 8 stone 4 isn't as skinny as people would think. It's definitely not underweight for me.

Excatly. Weight looks so different on different people, depending on how they carry it.
Reply 13
Original post by Free.Help
But I am? I'm exercising and eating healthy?

What I'm saying is it's hard to focus on losing weight and gaining muscle at the same time, I'm not entirely sure to be honest!
(edited 10 years ago)
I thought your body only uses muscle as an energy source when not enough fat is available?

I can't pretend to be an expert on the actual scientific ratio of what burns what, but I'm fairly sure that to increase or maintain muscle mass you need to be in a calorie surplus. If you're not eating enough to build muscle fibres, they won't be able to repair themselves, and will therefore waste away (if one of the guys would like to make this a little more accurate for me then feel free, but hopefully the general idea is correct).
Reply 15
Original post by ce303ce303
wow you weigh very little! if you want to gain muscle then increase your protein intake and also de amount of carbs - your body will need the energy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I eat as much protein as I can afford right now. And I try to eat less carbs, but again it's the money :frown: carbs are cheaper than protein.

It may sound like it, but I don't look that skinny at all, in fact I have a little budda belly right now that I know I can get rid of if I lose weight/gain muscule.
Original post by Free.Help
I'm 5'5, 8st 11lbs (27.5in waist, 36.5 hips and 35in bust) and small framed. I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscule in the process, all while being as healthy as possible.
I've lost 8lbs since the 10th March and 1/2 inch of my waist each week, and would like to be about 8st 4lbs, 25in waist, 35-36in hips.

Am I going about gaining muscule/losing fat the right way? Is there something I'm missing?

I do 30-60mins intense HIIT 3-4 times per week.
I eat about 1400 -1500 calories on exercise days.
I eat 1300 on non exercise days.
I allow myself 1 'cheat' meal per week.

I eat mainly porridge, fruit,veg, brown bread, little bit of brown pasta, fish, humous, peanut butter, salad, eggs, green tea each day.

I aim to be at my ideal measurements/weight in about 1 month. Does this sound healthy/possible to gain muscule? T

his is NOT a diet, but a healthy lifestyle change

Do you lift, as long as you're at a caloric deficit it won't make you bulky, but will definitely assist your fat loss, while keeping/improving your actual shape

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I can't pretend to be an expert on the actual scientific ratio of what burns what, but I'm fairly sure that to increase or maintain muscle mass you need to be in a calorie surplus. If you're not eating enough to build muscle fibres, they won't be able to repair themselves, and will therefore waste away (if one of the guys would like to make this a little more accurate for me then feel free, but hopefully the general idea is correct).

Hmm. But if your body is provided with enough protein the muscle fibres will be able to repair themselves? It's all so complicated but I think 1500 calories isn't that much of a deficit to start eating away at muscle as long as you get sufficient protein.
Reply 18
Original post by Dami_O
Do you lift, as long as you're at a caloric deficit it won't make you bulky, but will definitely assist your fat loss, while keeping/improving your actual shape

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't afford weights right now, but I lift my own body weight during my HIIT sessions, i.e. squats, push ups, planks, holding lunges, different sit ups etc. With some cardio also.

I realise that weight lifting won't make me look like a man ( I find it funny how some girls think if they pick up weights a few times, they'll have huge, bulging muscles :tongue:)

Does this sound like enough weight training?
Reply 19
I'm not sure!

All I want is to be slimer, with less fat on my body, and to have abit of defination i.e. this: imagesCARU7J19.jpg OR THIS: untitled.png

Quick Reply

Latest