The Student Room Group

"Peep & creep" driving techniques

For some reason, I just got thinking about how I changed my technique for emerging from a closed junction where I can't see what's coming from either side unless I get over the line a bit.

I used to get the clutch down and slow right down, but never actually commit to a stop, just using the brake to control my speed and stop if need be.

After a number of lessons my instructor was always complimenting me on my clutch control, and one day emerging at a junction suggested I'd probably find it more beneficial to slow down to a complete stop at the line, then use the clutch to creep the car forward. Not only did this mean I would always be half-ready for a quick move-off since all I'd have to do is give it a bit of gas, but it really helps if you're going up a bit of a hill.

Obviously, if you're going down a hill it's a much better idea to keep the clutch down and use the brake to control your speed as mentioned first.

Did anyone else switch from one technique to another?

Scroll to see replies

I've always come to a complete stop at a junction then crept forward so I could see what was coming, but whatever you're comfortable with is fine as long as you are safe!
Reply 2
It's not always necessary to stop. It can also be counterproductive as you will generally need some gas to creep forwards, more so on uphill inclines. You can't set the gas with your foot on the brake, so find the best moment to release the brake and set the gas.

Practice makes perfect.
Original post by WoodyMKC
For some reason, I just got thinking about how I changed my technique for emerging from a closed junction where I can't see what's coming from either side unless I get over the line a bit.

I used to get the clutch down and slow right down, but never actually commit to a stop, just using the brake to control my speed and stop if need be.

After a number of lessons my instructor was always complimenting me on my clutch control, and one day emerging at a junction suggested I'd probably find it more beneficial to slow down to a complete stop at the line, then use the clutch to creep the car forward. Not only did this mean I would always be half-ready for a quick move-off since all I'd have to do is give it a bit of gas, but it really helps if you're going up a bit of a hill.

Obviously, if you're going down a hill it's a much better idea to keep the clutch down and use the brake to control your speed as mentioned first.

Did anyone else switch from one technique to another?

This is exactly what I'm trying to be taught at the minute but I keep braking and stopping instead of just clutch down. Also we were rolling in second gear.I didn't stall though then as I was turning,gave it a bit of gas. I keep losing speed though before I make the complete turn. I'm trying to keep the speed steady with poor results everytime.
Original post by xev bellringer
This is exactly what I'm trying to be taught at the minute but I keep braking and stopping instead of just clutch down. Also we were rolling in second gear.I didn't stall though then as I was turning,gave it a bit of gas. I keep losing speed though before I make the complete turn. I'm trying to keep the speed steady with poor results everytime.

I think it's just mostly trial and error. Towards the end of my lessons I really got into the habit of only completely stopping the car at junctions/roundabouts when it was absolutely necessary, a little bit of roll going on already makes it much easier to move off quickly. It's just a case of realeasing the footbrake when you're down to those last few mph.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I think it's just mostly trial and error. Towards the end of my lessons I really got into the habit of only completely stopping the car at junctions/roundabouts when it was absolutely necessary, a little bit of roll going on already makes it much easier to move off quickly. It's just a case of realeasing the footbrake when you're down to those last few mph.

Heya my next lesson is on Saturday. Quick question. When you are rolling up to a junction,say turning left. All you need to do is raise the clutch to bite and add gas right, if there is nothing coming.Sounds so "simples" when you put it that way. I feel like doing that irritating meerkat squeek.
Reply 6
I never stop fully, otherwise the car tends to judder like hell (afraid of giving it gas :colondollar:) if I stop and start... Hope it improves along the way, did 10 hours already
Reply 7
Original post by ss_s95
I never stop fully, otherwise the car tends to judder like hell (afraid of giving it gas :colondollar:) if I stop and start... Hope it improves along the way, did 10 hours already

If your car is juddering at at the junction and don't want to accelerate then your clutch is too high. If its taking off then more power before the clutch is all the way up (Final pound coin width), you won't shoot forward and its more controlled so don't worry about suddenly jolting forward. If your what feels like the car is accelerating out of control or afraid, then lower the clutch which stops the engine touch the clutch plate (may feel like it speeds up), then break gently :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by CodeJack
If your car is juddering at at the junction and don't want to accelerate then your clutch is too high. If its taking off then more power before the clutch is all the way up (Final pound coin width), you won't shoot forward and its more controlled so don't worry about suddenly jolting forward. If your what feels like the car is accelerating out of control or afraid, then lower the clutch which stops the engine touch the clutch plate (may feel like it speeds up), then break gently :smile:

Hmm yeah my instructor was telling me the same, he says either give the car a bit of gas as you bring the clutch up or lower the clutch so less power gets delivered to the wheels...it's a bit hard to take in atm because I did my first 6 hours in a diesel car (which could set off on the clutch alone a lot of the time) before someone totaled it...I think it's a blessing in a way, I won't stall as much when I get my own car :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by ss_s95
Hmm yeah my instructor was telling me the same, he says either give the car a bit of gas as you bring the clutch up or lower the clutch so less power gets delivered to the wheels...it's a bit hard to take in atm because I did my first 6 hours in a diesel car (which could set off on the clutch alone a lot of the time) before someone totaled it...I think it's a blessing in a way, I won't stall as much when I get my own car :biggrin:

haha, I did mine in a diesel, thank god I didn't crash though. I would be SO embarrassed if I did that.
Reply 10
haha, I did mine in a diesel, thank god I didn't crash though. I would be SO embarrassed if I did that.

I almost did when I had my lesson yesterday...basically he introduced me to the lovely concept of roundabouts...need I say anymore? :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by ss_s95
I almost did when I had my lesson yesterday...basically he introduced me to the lovely concept of roundabouts...need I say anymore? :frown:

I know that feel.. my town has the nickname Doughnut City.. You can't drive 20 seconds without a roundabout (Basingstoke).
Reply 12
I know that feel.. my town has the nickname Doughnut City.. You can't drive 20 seconds without a roundabout (Basingstoke).

My area is surrounded by 3 nightmare roundabouts, and NOBODY has a clue which lane they're meant to be in, so basically all you get is idiots cutting you off, blaring their horns and worst of all, are the buses trying to fit in the lanes. I'd say they made it worse over the years...

Haha, Gran passed her test in Basingstoke back in 1987 :')
Reply 13
Original post by ss_s95
My area is surrounded by 3 nightmare roundabouts, and NOBODY has a clue which lane they're meant to be in, so basically all you get is idiots cutting you off, blaring their horns and worst of all, are the buses trying to fit in the lanes. I'd say they made it worse over the years...

Haha, Gran passed her test in Basingstoke back in 1987 :')

Woop :P

but unlucky for you, a least if you go wrong then some people may understand with learning.

My instructor drove me up to Swindon because he thought it would be funny to watch me do this: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/attachments/a5-s5-topics/7282d1271106973-satnav-directions-not-accurate-magic-roundabout.jpg
Reply 14

but unlucky for you, a least if you go wrong then some people may understand with learning.

My instructor drove me up to Swindon because he thought it would be funny to watch me do this: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/attachments/a5-s5-topics/7282d1271106973-satnav-directions-not-accurate-magic-roundabout.jpg

Ah what was the name they gave that roundabout?
Reply 15
Original post by ss_s95

The Magic Roundabout
Original post by ss_s95

:lolwut: WTF?!
Original post by xev bellringer
Heya my next lesson is on Saturday. Quick question. When you are rolling up to a junction,say turning left. All you need to do is raise the clutch to bite and add gas right, if there is nothing coming.Sounds so "simples" when you put it that way. I feel like doing that irritating meerkat squeek.

That's pretty much it. I'll write a little step by step here just to completely clarify the process the way I handle it, you pretty much nailed it on the head there and you obviously will know this stuff, but just for others reading as well.
Let's say we're emerging left at the next junction:

1) Start braking well in advance, braking gradually to ensure a smooth stop
2) Do your interior, left mirror and left signal in good time
3) As you start to slow to a stop at the junction, floor the clutch & into 1st
4) Just before you actually stop, release the footbrake and allow the car to coast forwards at a slow speed
5) If you can see that the way is clear or it feels like the car is about to stop, bring your foot to the biting point. If you see another road user approaching, clutch & brake down
6) Once you're at the biting point and it's clearly safe to go, give it a bit of gas (the same amount you'd normally use to move off from a standstill)
7) Simultaneously increase revs and bring up the clutch, both done gradually and smoithly. Of course, don't forget to steer left!
Awesomeness.You rock Woody!

Wait why are you up at this time? exam revision?

I have work tomorrow but I am addicted to Chicago Fire. I'm done for now....or maybe play a little Tomb Raider then bed.

In my area we've got this massive, 5 exit, 3 lane roundabout with 5 sets of traffic lights on it where you have to stick to a certain lane and will need to do some lane switching if you're travelling any further than the 2nd exit. Worst thing is, pretty much every test route goes through it.

Quick Reply