The Student Room Group

Vectors question

I've been given the following. The angle ACO is 15 degrees and BCO is 30 degrees.

Find the lengths of OB and OC, done that 1+13(23) 1+\frac{1}{3}(2\sqrt3) and 2+3 2+\sqrt3 respectively. Then I'm asked to find the coordinates of vectors AB AC and BC.

Now I'm not too sure on this part, as I haven't been given any points. All I've managed to do is rewrite it as OB-OA etc.
Reply 1
Eh. I'd just find the length of OA and go from there.

Assuming A, B, and C are on the x, y, z axis respectively, vector OA = (OA,0,0), vector OB = (0,OB,0), and vector OC = (0,0,OC).
Reply 2
Original post by aznkid66
Eh. I'd just find the length of OA and go from there.

Assuming A, B, and C are on the x, y, z axis respectively, vector OA = (OA,0,0), vector OB = (0,OB,0), and vector OC = (0,0,OC).

So I've got the length of OA OB and OC (OA is 1 shown on the diagram), but then how do I find the coordinates? is AB just (0,1,0)-(1,0,0)?
Reply 3
As you said, AB=-OA+OB.

If OA lies on the ? axis and has a magnitude of 1, then what're the three components of vector OA?
If OB lies on the ? axis and has a magnitude of 2/rt3+1, then what're the three components of vector OB?

(I only use ? because your diagram doesn't clearly show exactly which points lies on which axis.)
Reply 4
As you said, AB=-OA+OB.

If OA lies on the ? axis and has a magnitude of 1, then what're the three components of vector OA?
If OB lies on the ? axis and has a magnitude of 2/rt3+1, then what're the three components of vector OB?

(I only use ? because your diagram doesn't clearly show exactly which points lies on which axis.)

Yeah sorry diagram is rubbish. A lies on the x axis B on the y C on the z.

so the components of OA are (1,0,0) OB are (1,2/rt3+1,0) OC (0,0,2+root3) ?
Reply 5
Original post by Music99
so the components of OA are (1,0,0) OB are (0,2/rt3+1,0) OC (0,0,2+root3) ?

Fixed that for ya, so yup :P
So you see how to arrive at the answers now, right?
Reply 6
Fixed that for ya, so yup :P
So you see how to arrive at the answers now, right?

:P cheers. Yeah was just being a bit silly, might quote you again in a bit if I get stuck on anymore if you don't mind?
Reply 7
Original post by Music99
:P cheers. Yeah was just being a bit silly, might quote you again in a bit if I get stuck on anymore if you don't mind?

Sure, no problem ^^
Reply 8
Sure, no problem ^^

Find the area of the triangle ABC I did that got 19.3 (3sf), Then I'm asked to find the coordinates of M, where the normal from the origin meets the plane of the triangle ABC. Is that the point that just passes through C on my diagram?
Reply 9
Hm...well, wouldn't it be more inside the triangle rather than on it's vertex? ^^;
Reply 10
Hm...well, wouldn't it be more inside the triangle rather than on it's vertex? ^^;

I'm not too sure :frown:.
Reply 11
Original post by Music99
I'm not too sure :frown:.

Well, wouldn't it look like this (imagine the vertex more right-angley please :P)?

Untitled.jpg
Reply 12
Well, wouldn't it look like this (imagine the vertex more right-angley please :P)?

Untitled.jpg

But in the original diagram I've got O is where M is, so I thought it would be where the O is in your diagram?
Reply 13
Wait, woah, what? Isn't O the origin? O isn't in the triangle, right?
Reply 14
Wait, woah, what? Isn't O the origin? O isn't in the triangle, right?

It just says with the point O at the origin.
Reply 15
But M is on the plane, in fact it's the foot of the normal from the plane to the origin?
Reply 16
But M is on the plane, in fact it's the foot of the normal from the plane to the origin?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right.
Reply 17
...Anyway, what have you tried?
Reply 18
Derp.

Do you know how to find the vector representing the shortest distance (the perpendicular to the plane) between a point and a plane?

Quick Reply

Latest