The Student Room Group

A question about conversion courses.

I'm really not sure where this thread belongs, sorry if I've picked the wrong forum. :smile:

I've firmed the University I want to go to for the course I want to go to, but it really frightens me that my choice of degree will define my entire future career with no room to change my mind (although I hope I don't change my mind, it scares me that there might be no chance to). I know there are conversion courses for psychology and law, but are there conversion courses for pretty much anything, like history, languages or art for example?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by carehow
I'm really not sure where this thread belongs, sorry if I've picked the wrong forum. :smile:

I've firmed the University I want to go to for the course I want to go to, but it really frightens me that my choice of degree will define my entire future career with no room to change my mind (although I hope I don't change my mind, it scares me that there might be no chance to). I know there are conversion courses for psychology and law, but are there conversion courses for pretty much anything, like history, languages or art for example?

Thanks. :smile:

I think it depends on your chosen course, sweetheart. What are you looking to do?
No-one can give you any advice on this one until you tell us what course and Uni you have Firmed at.
Reply 3
I've firmed interdisciplinary science with a foundation year at Leeds, hopefully after the foundation year I'm planning at this stage to either go on to Nutrition or Neuroscience (but that could change), but my question is is there postgrad conversion courses in just about any subject or just certain subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by carehow
I've firmed interdisciplinary science with a foundation year at Leeds, hopefully after the foundation year I'm planning at this stage to either go on to Nutrition or Neuroscience (but that could change), but my question is is there postgrad conversion courses in just about any subject or just certain subjects?

Ok love, it sounds like you're a little lost. I went through this stage and I know what you mean with saying that knowing there is a conversion course out there, when you're unsure, can make you feel so much better.
Where is your heart at? Just sit and think what it is that you might love to do with your life. Is this course right for you?

I say this, because science (medicine) was in my heart and I studied art instead. I pulled out and took an access course instead.
Reply 5
Original post by becky1237
Ok love, it sounds like you're a little lost. I went through this stage and I know what you mean with saying that knowing there is a conversion course out there, when you're unsure, can make you feel so much better.
Where is your heart at? Just sit and think what it is that you might love to do with your life. Is this course right for you?

I say this, because science (medicine) was in my heart and I studied art instead. I pulled out and took an access course instead.

I like music and sociology and would like to be an A Level teacher, but I'm doing science anyway. I don't have any formal music qualifications and my grades aren't the best for various reasons, I'd like to get out of this house because my home situation isn't great - so I need to take what I can get so I'm going to do the degree I'm offered anyway. If there aren't conversion courses I'll just do the science degree like I was going to and be done with it and do whatever career that leads me to. :smile:
Reply 6
Even if there isn't "conversion" courses specifically designed, you can always create your own conversion in life. Many people have career changes or go back to school to train as something else instead. It all costs a whole lot extra, of course, as you probably won't be able to get loans and so on. But that aside for a moment, you can always go back and do different diplomas, undergraduate courses, postgrad courses in a slightly different but related subject, etc.

Don't panic. If you're doing something you enjoy, continue and see where it takes you. If you're unhappy or find yourself unhappy in future, you can always try and career change. I dislike the "I'm going to do A levels, get XXX grades, go to X university, do X for a career" attitude because, in reality, things chop and change about, and this attitude scares someone into thinking their life is destined to be stuck to one path forever even if they want out.

Obviously, for various reasons like financial reasons, it's more convenient to discover you want to change paths earlier than later. I'm just saying, it's never too late. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by carehow
I like music and sociology and would like to be an A Level teacher, but I'm doing science anyway. I don't have any formal music qualifications and my grades aren't the best for various reasons, I'd like to get out of this house because my home situation isn't great - so I need to take what I can get so I'm going to do the degree I'm offered anyway. If there aren't conversion courses I'll just do the science degree like I was going to and be done with it and do whatever career that leads me to. :smile:

You sound a lot like me.
Put it this way. I think you're making the right choice with Leeds. How can you fail with Leeds as your foundation? A ****ty home life isn't worth staying at home for, believe me!
I once thought that music was my saving grace. I took up violin in year 11 and got to grade 5 within a year JUST so they would let me study music on greenhead so that I could be a teacher. I soon realised that music teaching wasn't the way I had originally imagined it (plus greenhead crushed my hopes and dreams COUGHCOUGH)

Science is diverse and fantastic. It's the absolute Fondation of everything and I know you'll find SOMETHING you love in the many options open to you through the programme.

My grades aren't the best either, but I'm getting where I need to be :smile: you will tooM the opportunity of a lifetime is at your doorstep!

Ever considered medicine? I study at the college that the leeds foundtion is done at (its moving back to leeds now). Although the only let on 5 candidates, 3 people have sneaked onto the medicine bandwagon through hard work.
Reply 8
Original post by becky1237
You sound a lot like me.
Put it this way. I think you're making the right choice with Leeds. How can you fail with Leeds as your foundation? A ****ty home life isn't worth staying at home for, believe me!
I once thought that music was my saving grace. I took up violin in year 11 and got to grade 5 within a year JUST so they would let me study music on greenhead so that I could be a teacher. I soon realised that music teaching wasn't the way I had originally imagined it (plus greenhead crushed my hopes and dreams COUGHCOUGH)

Science is diverse and fantastic. It's the absolute Fondation of everything and I know you'll find SOMETHING you love in the many options open to you through the programme.

My grades aren't the best either, but I'm getting where I need to be :smile: you will tooM the opportunity of a lifetime is at your doorstep!

Ever considered medicine? I study at the college that the leeds foundtion is done at (its moving back to leeds now). Although the only let on 5 candidates, 3 people have sneaked onto the medicine bandwagon through hard work.

I've not considered medicine, no - I'm so squeemish, I just couldn't deal with the hands on aspect. :smile: And Greenhead, the college? That's where I'm studying right now. I don't really know what I want to do, I'm doing the Leeds foundation, I'm just scared that a degree in something means I have to do it for a career. I just want to know that there are options later down the road if I want to do something else.

Even if there isn't "conversion" courses specifically designed, you can always create your own conversion in life. Many people have career changes or go back to school to train as something else instead. It all costs a whole lot extra, of course, as you probably won't be able to get loans and so on. But that aside for a moment, you can always go back and do different diplomas, undergraduate courses, postgrad courses in a slightly different but related subject, etc.

Don't panic. If you're doing something you enjoy, continue and see where it takes you. If you're unhappy or find yourself unhappy in future, you can always try and career change. I dislike the "I'm going to do A levels, get XXX grades, go to X university, do X for a career" attitude because, in reality, things chop and change about, and this attitude scares someone into thinking their life is destined to be stuck to one path forever even if they want out.

Obviously, for various reasons like financial reasons, it's more convenient to discover you want to change paths earlier than later. I'm just saying, it's never too late.

There's not much I can reply to this, but thank-you, this really, really helped.
Have a look through http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_with_your_subject.htm <= this is aimed at students graduating from these degree subjects.

Most science graduates DON'T go into a science career, some go onto further study, others go into management or business, others go into various management roles etc etc (eg look at the chart on the bottom right of this page about Physics graduate: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_physics.htm ).

Some graduates find that 3/4 years studying their subject just makes them more convinced that they want a career in that subject, but they tend to be in the minority. Most people take the knowledge and skills they've developed and apply it to a new area that they're interested in.
Reply 10
Original post by carehow

You will be able to teach science at A level if you do a science degree.
Reply 11
Original post by Shelly_x
You will be able to teach science at A level if you do a science degree.

Ah, I hate science, I don't think I could stand teaching it for the rest of my life.

Original post by PQ
Have a look through http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_with_your_subject.htm <= this is aimed at students graduating from these degree subjects.

Most science graduates DON'T go into a science career, some go onto further study, others go into management or business, others go into various management roles etc etc (eg look at the chart on the bottom right of this page about Physics graduate: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_physics.htm ).

Some graduates find that 3/4 years studying their subject just makes them more convinced that they want a career in that subject, but they tend to be in the minority. Most people take the knowledge and skills they've developed and apply it to a new area that they're interested in.

Thanks, I'll take a look! It doesn't sound like there's a lot to look forward to though if business and management is my likely career route. I guess you have to take what you can get though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending