The Student Room Group

How to gain muscle and lose fat? *Girl*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well toning is basically burning fat while maintaining muscle mass.

Now that is answered, your primary sources of energy are your carbohydrates and fats. IF you do not consume enough carbohydrates and fats, your body naturally turns to protein for energy which is where muscle loss is introduced. This is common on a caloric deficit as you may not be eating enough carbs and fats to suit your activity level.

FYI, its 3,500kcal to burn 1lbs of fat (this is the common average example researched)

Your caloric deficit will deterine how much weight you lose, your training will just aid you to burn those extra calories that you consume to keep your muscle. If you are burning 500kcal per 60min workout, I would eat slightly more than 1500kcal per day, probably nearer 1700-1800 on active days and the extra calories can be spent on protein which will repair the muscle you want for your tone.
Reply 21
Erm not exactly. The amount of reps you do affects the muscle fibre types you breakdown (heavy and low hits fast twitch and light and high reps hits slow twitch) meaning you can build more muscle quicker as you are hitting both types giving a more efficient breakdown.

High reps and low weights are good for toning as it acts as breaking down the muscle AND cardio as they are more efficient at using oxygen to generate more fuel (ATP) which does increase endurance.
Original post by Free.Help
I'm 5'5, 8st 11lbs (27.5in waist, 36.5 hips and 35in bust) and small framed. I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscule in the process, all while being as healthy as possible.
I've lost 8lbs since the 10th March and 1/2 inch of my waist each week, and would like to be about 8st 4lbs, 25in waist, 35-36in hips.

Am I going about gaining muscule/losing fat the right way? Is there something I'm missing?

I do 30-60mins intense HIIT 3-4 times per week.
I eat about 1400 -1500 calories on exercise days.
I eat 1300 on non exercise days.
I allow myself 1 'cheat' meal per week.

I eat mainly porridge, fruit,veg, brown bread, little bit of brown pasta, fish, humous, peanut butter, salad, eggs, green tea each day.

I aim to be at my ideal measurements/weight in about 1 month. Does this sound healthy/possible to gain muscule? T

his is NOT a diet, but a healthy lifestyle change

You can't unless you are really fat. Your body will only do one or the other, not both at the same time.
Straight off I can say you will not be having enough protein so this will reduce your muscle gaining ability drastically. Just google cutting and bulking diets as that is what you want to do.
I'm 5'5, 8st 11lbs (27.5in waist, 36.5 hips and 35in bust) and small framed. I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscule in the process, all while being as healthy as possible.
I've lost 8lbs since the 10th March and 1/2 inch of my waist each week, and would like to be about 8st 4lbs, 25in waist, 35-36in hips.

Am I going about gaining muscule/losing fat the right way? Is there something I'm missing?

I do 30-60mins intense HIIT 3-4 times per week.
I eat about 1400 -1500 calories on exercise days.
I eat 1300 on non exercise days.
I allow myself 1 'cheat' meal per week.

I eat mainly porridge, fruit,veg, brown bread, little bit of brown pasta, fish, humous, peanut butter, salad, eggs, green tea each day.

I aim to be at my ideal measurements/weight in about 1 month. Does this sound healthy/possible to gain muscule? T

his is NOT a diet, but a healthy lifestyle change

How did you lose 1/2 an inch each week? I eat so healthy and never see a change!
Reply 24
Original post by millie-rose
How did you lose 1/2 an inch each week? I eat so healthy and never see a change!

Yu may eat healthily, but you could be eating on or over or not that much below your daily carloric maintenance meaning you will generally maintain your weight or you cant see a notable difference if you eat very slightly under your caloric maintenance.
Reply 25
Original post by Jimbo1234
You can't unless you are really fat. Your body will only do one or the other, not both at the same time.
Straight off I can say you will not be having enough protein so this will reduce your muscle gaining ability drastically. Just google cutting and bulking diets as that is what you want to do.

Argh I'm so confused! So should I be eating about the same calories (1500 on exercise days) but most of these calories coming from protein?

Or should I eat like 2, 000 of alot of protein?

Again, I want to lose weight AND gain defination and muscle tone. Since I'm not too overweight, and only have to lose 7lbs, should I focus more on building muscle, i.e. more weight training/protein?

If I don't eat more protein then I am doing, will I lose muscle?
Reply 26
Original post by millie-rose

I think it's all individual to be honest.

'Science' says you have to eat 3500 calories less per week to lose 1lb. Last week I ate 3500 less, had little exercise and lost 3lbs and 1/2 inch.

I guess it depends on your personal fat loss :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by NathanW
Well toning is basically burning fat while maintaining muscle mass.

Now that is answered, your primary sources of energy are your carbohydrates and fats. IF you do not consume enough carbohydrates and fats, your body naturally turns to protein for energy which is where muscle loss is introduced. This is common on a caloric deficit as you may not be eating enough carbs and fats to suit your activity level.

FYI, its 3,500kcal to burn 1lbs of fat (this is the common average example researched)

Your caloric deficit will deterine how much weight you lose, your training will just aid you to burn those extra calories that you consume to keep your muscle. If you are burning 500kcal per 60min workout, I would eat slightly more than 1500kcal per day, probably nearer 1700-1800 on active days and the extra calories can be spent on protein which will repair the muscle you want for your tone.

Okay, thanks for the reply.

It's really hard to get in more protein, due to cost. I don't understand how much more I can possibly eat per day, I only have £15 per week for all food, and don't have a freezer to freeze chicken/fish, so it's very hard :confused:
Original post by NathanW
Yu may eat healthily, but you could be eating on or over or not that much below your daily carloric maintenance meaning you will generally maintain your weight or you cant see a notable difference if you eat very slightly under your caloric maintenance.

No i definitely do not - I use myFitnessPal to track my calorific intake and I only eat maximum 1200 a day and I barely go over. I'm vegetarian anyway so I have a healthy diet and my excess weight will not come off. It's really starting to get to me.
Okay, thanks for the reply.

It's really hard to get in more protein, due to cost. I don't understand how much more I can possibly eat per day, I only have £15 per week for all food, and don't have a freezer to freeze chicken/fish, so it's very hard :confused:

Not having a freezer is the worst, had that situation for a year and looking back I don't know how it was even possible lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Dami_O
Not having a freezer is the worst, had that situation for a year and looking back I don't know how it was even possible lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

i know, it's so hard :frown:
Argh I'm so confused! So should I be eating about the same calories (1500 on exercise days) but most of these calories coming from protein?

Or should I eat like 2, 000 of alot of protein?

Again, I want to lose weight AND gain defination and muscle tone. Since I'm not too overweight, and only have to lose 7lbs, should I focus more on building muscle, i.e. more weight training/protein?

If I don't eat more protein then I am doing, will I lose muscle?

It's pretty simple :smile:. You only get muscle definition if you have the following at the same time; a) Muscle there to begin with, b) low body fat (not weight - but low body fat percentage).
From what you have said, you have neither, thus you won't get to where you want so quickly, but is that really a surprise? If it was that easy then everyone would look great :biggrin:

But don't worry, it is still relatively simple. What you want to do is basic weights and having a cutting diet; http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html

So have a lot of protein, but you will need certain carbs etc to give you energy (carbs are energy, protein makes muscle). And yes, not eating protein and doing weights will cause your muscle to cannibalise other muscles.

You are going to want to do some form of resistance training. HIIT isn't going to cut it after a certain point. You need more resistance than that to get more muscular. Circuit style training (as you do it) is not really going to add muscle beyond newbie gains, where riding a bicycle increases your bench press. Weights make it easier to increase the resistance in small increments but you can always work towards more advanced bodyweight training (raising your legs for pushups/one leg squats etc) to get a good training effect.

In general, you would want to consume at least 1g protein/kg of bodyweight. Cheap whey is a good way of hitting that. Not that it's necessarily practical for you but I bought 9kg of whey for >80 quid. That means 20g of protein costs less than 30p.
Reply 33
Original post by Jimbo1234
It's pretty simple :smile:. You only get muscle definition if you have the following at the same time; a) Muscle there to begin with, b) low body fat (not weight - but low body fat percentage).
From what you have said, you have neither, thus you won't get to where you want so quickly, but is that really a surprise? If it was that easy then everyone would look great :biggrin:

But don't worry, it is still relatively simple. What you want to do is basic weights and having a cutting diet; http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html

So have a lot of protein, but you will need certain carbs etc to give you energy (carbs are energy, protein makes muscle). And yes, not eating protein and doing weights will cause your muscle to cannibalise other muscles.

I think my BF is 25%, but I know there's no sure way of knowing. Yeah, I need to stop wanting it to happen overnight, but I do hope to get lower BF, a little defination in time for summer (i.e. July?). Is this possible?

Again, it has to be attainable and maintainable i.e. imagesCAC5TFR7.jpg

h32523.jpeg

Thanks for the link though!
Reply 34
I walk for 5 mins(from house), run for 20(10mins away and 10mins back), and then walk for 5 mins (back to house) then i do 50 sit ups :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by The Blind Monk
You are going to want to do some form of resistance training. HIIT isn't going to cut it after a certain point. You need more resistance than that to get more muscular. Circuit style training (as you do it) is not really going to add muscle beyond newbie gains, where riding a bicycle increases your bench press. Weights make it easier to increase the resistance in small increments but you can always work towards more advanced bodyweight training (raising your legs for pushups/one leg squats etc) to get a good training effect.

In general, you would want to consume at least 1g protein/kg of bodyweight. Cheap whey is a good way of hitting that. Not that it's necessarily practical for you but I bought 9kg of whey for >80 quid. That means 20g of protein costs less than 30p.

But can I do this without a gym/equitment? I can't afford either at the moment, and I've tried the gym, it doesn't work for me. I need someone there, telling me when to start and stop, and becuase I sweat, scream and pull crazy faces when I workout, I train much better at home, with a workout DVD than anywhere else.

There's no way I can afford £80 no matter the value! :s-smilie: I will try to eat more protein, but I've heard they whey powders are for putting weight on, and then training insane to work it off? I'm not going to be working out that much I don't think, maybe 4 x 30 mins or 3 x 60 mins.
But can I do this without a gym/equitment? I can't afford either at the moment, and I've tried the gym, it doesn't work for me. I need someone there, telling me when to start and stop, and becuase I sweat, scream and pull crazy faces when I workout, I train much better at home, with a workout DVD than anywhere else.

There's no way I can afford £80 no matter the value! :s-smilie: I will try to eat more protein, but I've heard they whey powders are for putting weight on, and then training insane to work it off? I'm not going to be working out that much I don't think, maybe 4 x 30 mins or 3 x 60 mins.

Whey is just food. No more, no less. If anything, it's a good diet food because it has a low fat/carb content so you can hit your protein goal while leaving more calories in the tank for other foods.

You can add resistance by doing 1 leg squats/deadlift or by raising your feet for pushups. It would be good for you to learn how to do chin ups as well. I assume you own a chair for 1 leg SQ/DL/raised feet pushups. That'd increase the resistance automatically. That'd basically be free.

I might add that if you go to a real gym nobody cares if you scream, sweat or pull crazy faces. It's only really discouraged at health club/uni gym type places.
Reply 37
Original post by The Blind Monk
Whey is just food. No more, no less. If anything, it's a good diet food because it has a low fat/carb content so you can hit your protein goal while leaving more calories in the tank for other foods.

You can add resistance by doing 1 leg squats/deadlift or by raising your feet for pushups. It would be good for you to learn how to do chin ups as well. I assume you own a chair for 1 leg SQ/DL/raised feet pushups. That'd increase the resistance automatically. That'd basically be free.

I might add that if you go to a real gym nobody cares if you scream, sweat or pull crazy faces. It's only really discouraged at health club/uni gym type places.

Is it healthy though? For example, if I replaced lunch (say egg white omlette, veg) with Whey, would this still be okay and good for me? I'm just very wary of taking 'powders' or any sort of pills :s-smilie:

Are my workouts enough strength though? I've only been exercisng for 3 weeks now, and I'm still pretty weak, although I do train insane :biggrin:

I do those Jillian Micheals workouts, but I espcially those on Youtube HIIT workouts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy9WKyN1rig and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3zAG4zvVpc

Are these workouts enough?
Is it healthy though? For example, if I replaced lunch (say egg white omlette, veg) with Whey, would this still be okay and good for me? I'm just very wary of taking 'powders' or any sort of pills :s-smilie:

Are my workouts enough strength though? I've only been exercisng for 3 weeks now, and I'm still pretty weak, although I do train insane :biggrin:

I do those Jillian Micheals workouts, but I espcially those on Youtube HIIT workouts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy9WKyN1rig and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3zAG4zvVpc

Are these workouts enough?

I'd rather have an egg white omelette with vegetables but whey is hardly bad for you. I have a piece of fruit and whey every morning for breakfast just because it is convenient and I dislike having anything solid in the morning. Nothing wrong with pills and powders so long as you treat them as a supplement as opposed to your diet.

If you can do something for 45 minutes, it isn't strength training. Now that's not an issue for you right now. However, in a few weeks you may need to do the excercises I discussed above in a separate session to start working on strength. It is hard to get high levels of resistance when you're doing something for 45 minutes. For building muscle you'd want to do an excercise at a level of resistance where you are unable to do more than 15 reps.

You might consider doing your HIIT/BW circuits one workout. For your next workout:
A) 8 reps Pushup with legs elevated at a height you cannot do more than 10 reps
B) 8 reps Bulgarian Split Squat with elevation or loading that you cannot do more than ten reps
C) whatever Chin up negatives/Band Pullapart (something for upper back)
D) 8 reps 1 leg DL

take 30 seconds between each set. Complete 4-5 rounds with 1-2 rounds at a lighter level of resistance as a warmup. That'd give you some kind of strength training effect. Probably take less than 20 minutes as well.
Reply 39
Hey

You will never have complete muscle definition until all the fat is gone 1st, so for the 1st month on so, you should be doing more cardio than resistance training. Also, remember to mix your workouts up a bit as your body gets used to doing the same work out all then time, and as a result, you hit a weight loss plateau.

Circuit training is a brilliant way of keeping your body guessing and to lose weight fast.

Also, toning trainers are brilliant! I love my shape ups, and really have noticed a difference in how toned I am. They are cheap on ebay, and a brilliant investment. If you wear these while doing your exercises, you are working different muscles that you normally wouldn't.

Quick Reply

Latest